Old 07-02-2013, 09:49   #1
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Rust-Oleum NeverWet

Gents,

A coworker pointed this stuff out to me today, and I can think of a million uses for it. Have any of you tried it on your gear? I know marketing is meant to sell stuff, but these guys sure do a great job! On pay day I may pick up a kit. Home Depot sells it at a decent price, and the YouTube video is wild. I hope you guys find it useful! Links follow:

NeverWet website

Home Depot link

YouTube product demonstration

***DISCLAIMER*** I do not work for or represent any of these people.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I have not used this product, but similar stuff..

If you are planning to use this on packable gear, rucks, pouches, poncho???

You might want to setup a sample test to see how much weight is added. Weight your XXX before and after. I suspect that the additional weight may mitigate the effectiveness of the product.

If this is for stationary objects like a shed roof, it's probably GTG..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:07   #3
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Funny you should mention the shed roof. That was my first thought. However years of roofing experience has taught me better than that . Second thought was my rifle scope & spotting scope exteriors. Bipod too. I am extremely hesitant to spray anything on my rifle scope (including paint) that costs 1700 American dollars, but I would like something to protect it from moisture while in use. My packable gear is easily covered in a trash bag if needed, but that sleeping bag bivvy cover could use some extra protection

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
Old 07-02-2013, 19:09   #4
alelks
Quiet Professional

One of my employees showed me this today also.

Edit: I see a few comments about it only looks good on light colored objects as it leaves a white haze and that it screwed up a few cell phones. Some comments are that the oils from your skin wear it off also. I'm going to wait on this one to see what type of reviews it gets.

Last edited by alelks; 07-02-2013 at 19:21.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:41   #5
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
One of my employees showed me this today also.

Edit: I see a few comments about it only looks good on light colored objects as it leaves a white haze and that it screwed up a few cell phones. Some comments are that the oils from your skin wear it off also. I'm going to wait on this one to see what type of reviews it gets.
Well Al, in the name of science I can't let you wait for too long . I'll pick up a kit over the weekend and post a video of the results. I read/viewed some negative comments also, but I don't believe those people waited the full 12 hours (in the fine print) to cure, or they didn't apply enough coats. Just like paint I imagine. I've banged my multi-coated, Krylon painted, wood stock rifles against hard objects and they only dent with paint intact. This stuff seems just like paint. We'll see...

Old 07-03-2013, 21:52   #6
Toaster
Guerrilla

Alternate uses

It might make a canoe kayak go faster through water by reducing friction. It could also be added to a sled, I imagine it would make them fly over snow.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:04   #7
alelks
Quiet Professional

Umbrella.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

BryanK- If you paid $1700 for your scope, it had better be water resistant at a minimum...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14   #9
35NCO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
It might make a canoe kayak go faster through water by reducing friction. It could also be added to a sled, I imagine it would make them fly over snow.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
Okay Griswold....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rMcRJVY1-0

Last edited by 35NCO; 07-05-2013 at 09:36.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38   #10
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
BryanK- If you paid $1700 for your scope, it had better be water resistant at a minimum...
In my experience NOTHING is impervious to water after enough time passes. I've had it out in the mountains during a light drizzle or two, and no problems. I'm just worried about that first time I slip and fall into the drink trying to cross it

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29   #11
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

A friend of mine tried it. He says it's pretty good but it does leave a white glaze on some things.
The only thing I want a white glaze on is a doughnut.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote