Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 02-03-2015, 19:26   #211
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Urbanovsky View Post
I think that means I'm doing something right.

Those are the Gen 2 MicrAxes. Put them on a diet (0.275" thickness vs the 0.375" of the originals) and revised handles. Handles are now more rectangular in cross section, are more comfortable, and are much less prone to rotate in the hand vs the original "broom handle" cross section handles that were on the first four prototypes. Machining quality from this new local vendor is also much cleaner on all components than it was from the guy I was using the past two years from my micro-batch midtech stuff. Sometimes it's the little details that make all the difference. I'm really pleased with the finished product. Took one of the HPs out for field testing in the wilderness this past week. It was completely un-sharpened when we arrived. I spent about five minutes putting an edge on it with a Nicholson mill file, and immediately put it to work. Performed all tasks with flying colors. Very comfortable and maneuverable, and no longer a boat anchor like the the Gen 1 prototypes were.

Axe in the pic is uncoated. I just grabbed one off the bench, slapped handles on it, picked up my bag, and headed out the door.
Hummm guess it got lost or TR stole it
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 20:32   #212
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Nope, I just haven't done it yet. It's happening, but I wanted one of the Gen 2s, and I had to get guys orders taken care of first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Hummm guess it got lost or TR stole it
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00   #213
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Speaking of the MicrAxe passround for QPs, I have a batch off at Ionbond being coated right now, so I suppose there's no time like the present to get things rolling.

You must be a QP to participate.

I'll pull two MicrAxes, one hammer, one spike. Say, two weeks for you and your group/team to evaluate and wreck stuff, tell me about what you did with it and your thoughts, maybe post a review here in this thread, and then send the axe back so I can see how it help up before I send it to the next guy.

We'll get this deal rolling hopefully by the end of February. I'll still need to sharpen them, get handles on them, and knock out sheaths once they come home from Ionbond.

Interested parties, please email me at info@americankami.com with your username here and reference this thread, and I'll get you added to the queue.
Old 05-21-2015, 13:30   #214
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Just a quick heads up - if you are in the FT Bragg area, the Beef & Beer Benefit is happening tonight. And among the silent auction items will be the following axe. It is called the RIMJACK (RMJ/AK), and is a collaboration between myself and Ryan over at RMJ. This one is #1, and was with me at the table at Sniper Comp this year. The axe for the auction wasn't ready in time, so I sent this, which was my personal axe. These are a limited production, non-orderable item. They are only available via auction, with half or more of the proceeds being donated to the Green Beret related charity of my choice (either foundations or to benefit individuals/families). 100% of the funds from this particular piece will be going to benefit the Gass family, who lost a husband and father in August of last year. ODA 3131 will have two tables at the event, and the axe will be there. Please attend, show your support, and bid it up through the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMJACK.jpg (81.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42   #215
TCT_Knives
Quiet Professional

I got to hold it for my good friend was the lucky guy to win it! Sweet Axe!!
www.facebook.com/tct.knives
TCT_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43   #216
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Glad you like it, brother! Looking forward to seeing you at Blade.
Old 06-03-2015, 19:37   #217
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Finally, everything is wrapped and ready for Bladeshow in Atlanta. Same table as usual, 18E. Here's what I'm bringing:

http://americankami.com/BLADESHOW2015.jpg

35 and 36 are open bid items. Those are two of six colab axes I did with Ryan over at RMJ. Half of all proceeds go to the Green Beret related charity of my choice. More details forthcoming in the next 24 hours.

In the event that I am not able to post from the road, swing by my table for the time, date, and location of the colab axe auction.

Hope you guys dig!

Last edited by DJ Urbanovsky; 06-03-2015 at 19:49.
Old 10-29-2015, 15:46   #218
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

So. Who likes them some daggers?

Old 10-29-2015, 17:09   #219
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

You have some pics?
Old 10-30-2015, 08:53   #220
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Stop teasing and show us the steel.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:32   #221
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Alright, here we go.

The three Sykes/Fairbairn-ish style daggers are the M91, M92, and M93, from smallest to largest. The idea was to take everything that I liked about the S/F and knives that evolved from that pattern (like the V42, Marine Raider, Gerber Commands, Marks, and Guardians) and put my own spin on it. Since Les, Mark, and Curtis had already done their incredible V14 daggers (one of which I own and love, and could not think of anything that I would do that would improve upon it), I chose to go more in the direction of the old Gerber Guardians with these three.

The two trenches don't have model designations yet. They are the same in every respect except for the blade profiles. The black/coyote one has the more obtuse tip like the Gerber MK-II blade pattern, whereas the silver grey/OD version has the more acute, traditional Couteau Poignard Mle 1916 "Le Vengeur De 1870" style blade profile as seen on your historic Mark I 1918 trench knives. I tried to keep the knuckles portion as close to the original pattern Mark I 1918s as possible (this was no simple task), and then made some other tweaks here and there. Again, was inspired by Les' awesome build of this pattern which he did recently, as well as the story of Medal of Honor recipient PFC Pililaau. Some inspiration was also gleaned from the incredible knives of W W Cronk.

Finally the big daddy of the bunch, the S9. This large cruciform dagger was actually the first of this series of daggers that I designed and programmed over the past two weeks while recovering from a back injury sustained during band rehearsals. I modeled the blade on this one after the Swiss K31/1918 bayonet, which I think is one of the sexiest combat knives ever made.

All of these are full tang, 0.275" thickness S7, which is a shock steel (think jackhammer bits). And I am already cutting steel now for the first runs of all of these models.

Specs:

M91: 8.4" OAL, 4.1" blade.
M92: 10.3" OAL, 5.75" blade.
M93: 12.8" OAL, 7.5" blade.
Trenches: 13.7" OAL, 8.2" blade.
S9: 19.1" OAL, 12.75: blade.

Thanks for looking, and hope you guys like these as much as I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M91.jpg (23.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg M92.jpg (23.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg M93.jpg (23.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Trench 1 d.jpg (23.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Trench 2g.jpg (27.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg S9x.jpg (23.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by DJ Urbanovsky; 11-02-2015 at 14:35.
Old 11-02-2015, 14:40   #222
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

A couple more pics of the M91 and M92, and also one for an inside look of what my design process can look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M91b.jpg (23.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg M92b.jpg (22.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 7070_10206815449538473_3021853371175646075_n.jpg (55.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-02-2015, 17:37   #223
Joker
Quiet Professional

Now those are some good looking knives. Well done.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 20:11   #224
Sohei
Area Commander

Beautiful work!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 20:15   #225
tonyz
Area Commander

DJ, cool stuff as ever. That little stabby one needs a good home !

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote