Old 02-16-2013, 15:45   #31
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Task Force Blue and Fort San Lorenzo

Anybody here have pictures of TF Blue and/or Fort San Lorenzo? I've got pics of both as well as the Tarpon Club next to the Gatun Locks. If I can ever figure how to upkoad them I'll put them on the board for everyone.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 15:48   #32
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
You go to the right and the next building was group hq. If I remember correctly, if you continued past Group HQ there was a grade school at the bottom of the hill.
You remember correctly. And the mess hall was as far away as it could be, and still be in the Group area. It was SO far that many times, we simply ate breakfast at the PX snack bar, right next to A Company - right after first formation and police call ("E-8's and above fall out and supervise.")
Old 02-16-2013, 16:36   #33
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
You remember correctly. And the mess hall was as far away as it could be, and still be in the Group area. It was SO far that many times, we simply ate breakfast at the PX snack bar, right next to A Company - right after first formation and police call ("E-8's and above fall out and supervise.")
I remember running up the steps to the snack bar to get a slice of cherry pie.

Old 10-07-2014, 20:29   #34
zdect
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaretTrooper View Post
I was in the 8th SFGA(SAF) from Apr 69-May 71. Is anyone else out there from that time frame?
I arrived at Gulick in late March of 69 initially assigned to A Co with MAJ Riggs as its Cdr and SGM Burly as Co SGM. Later I became S3 of B1 and then Asst S3 for Tng for the Group. MAJ Huskey was the 3 and SGM Cliette was the section SGM. I believe he is still alive close to Bragg as LTC. What a guy! I also served in A Co when LTC Korchek was its Cdr. Many, many years later I had the honor of having dinner with COL Owen who was the Group's XO when I was in the 3 shop. The Group SGM was CSM Childers (RIP) Have many great memories of COL's Felder and Dexter and many very fine NCO's. CPT Hampton was my close friend who served in B Co.
zdect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 21:47   #35
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdect View Post
I arrived at Gulick in late March of 69 initially assigned to A Co with MAJ Riggs as its Cdr and SGM Burly as Co SGM. Later I became S3 of B1 and then Asst S3 for Tng for the Group. MAJ Huskey was the 3 and SGM Cliette was the section SGM. I believe he is still alive close to Bragg as LTC. What a guy! I also served in A Co when LTC Korchek was its Cdr. Many, many years later I had the honor of having dinner with COL Owen who was the Group's XO when I was in the 3 shop. The Group SGM was CSM Childers (RIP) Have many great memories of COL's Felder and Dexter and many very fine NCO's. CPT Hampton was my close friend who served in B Co.
MAJ Jere Riggs was a NG on AD. He was the one who notified me of my RIF status at the Pan Am Dive Club. Found out later that he is now deceased (from his son who is/was currently a LTC in the Indiana NG). As for LTC Owen, I was advised (after I PCS'd back to the States) that he had falsified making jumps to qualify for jump pay ... apparently he had developed a fear of heights and didn't want to jump anymore, but didn't want to leave Group either. That's second hand information, but from a reliable source.

Old 10-08-2014, 15:48   #36
zdect
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
MAJ Jere Riggs was a NG on AD. He was the one who notified me of my RIF status at the Pan Am Dive Club. Found out later that he is now deceased (from his son who is/was currently a LTC in the Indiana NG). As for LTC Owen, I was advised (after I PCS'd back to the States) that he had falsified making jumps to qualify for jump pay ... apparently he had developed a fear of heights and didn't want to jump anymore, but didn't want to leave Group either. That's second hand information, but from a reliable source.

Gary A. Riggs

Colonel

(Retired, US Army Sep 1988)

WKU Class of 1958

Completed tours of duty in Laos and Vietnam as a Special Forces Detachment Commander and Advisor to the 14th ARVAN Regiment

Company and Battalion Commander 8th Special Forces Group, Panama

Professor of Military Science, Army ROTC Western Kentucky University 1975-1978 Commander, Special Forces Schools Training Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Commander - U.S. Military Group, Venezuela

Commander, Third Brigade, Second Region (ROTC) Fort Knox, Kentucky

Legion of Merit

Bronze Star Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters
============================
On 30 June 1972, Lieutenant Colonel Tom Owens was the commander of Company A, 8th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and became the first commander of the 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). When he retired his company guidon, he exchanged it for the colors of this Special Forces battalion. Additionally, he assumed the responsibilities of carrying on the traditions of his 8th Special Forces Group (Airborne) predecessors and set the standard for other commanders to follow

Are we talking about the same guys?
zdect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 18:04   #37
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdect View Post
Gary A. Riggs

Colonel

(Retired, US Army Sep 1988)

WKU Class of 1958

Completed tours of duty in Laos and Vietnam as a Special Forces Detachment Commander and Advisor to the 14th ARVAN Regiment

Company and Battalion Commander 8th Special Forces Group, Panama

Professor of Military Science, Army ROTC Western Kentucky University 1975-1978 Commander, Special Forces Schools Training Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Commander - U.S. Military Group, Venezuela

Commander, Third Brigade, Second Region (ROTC) Fort Knox, Kentucky

Legion of Merit

Bronze Star Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters
On 30 June 1972, Lieutenant Colonel Tom Owens was the commander of Company A, 8th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and became the first commander of the 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). When he retired his company guidon, he exchanged it for the colors of this Special Forces battalion. Additionally, he assumed the responsibilities of carrying on the traditions of his 8th Special Forces Group (Airborne) predecessors and set the standard for other commanders to follow

Are we talking about the same guys?
I think we're talking about different Riggs; MAJ Jere Riggs was an NG officer who shadowed MAJ Leroy Mitchell who was my company commander and one of three XOs on the Che Guevara MTT to Bolivia.

As for LTC Owens, he was the SAF XO (whether he was the Battalion Cdr, I couldn't tell you because I didn't pay much attention to the wiring diagram for the head shed after 8th Group was deactivated and became 3/7 SFG. I can tell you he reported to COL BJ Pinkerton who was the 8th Group and later the 3/7 SFG?/SAF commander [Pinkerton's daughter married one of the other LTs I ran around with -- after I PCSd back to the States I learned he, the LT, got in trouble for misappropriating equipment to line his wallet ... information I was never able to verify]). I can tell you that MG George Mabry (awarded the MOH) was the USARSO commander at the time and held the deactivation/redesignation ceremony for Group at the parade field in front of the Post Office on Fort Gulick.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:42   #38
Bigfootedalien
Asset

combat night jump - great honor - risky business:)

1970 maybe 71 - 8th SF Panama 1st SF - A teams went into isolation on a Chile mission to train indigenous - we thot our team was chosen - we loaded into a C141 & left Panama (dark of night) rode around for quite a few hrs - did a combat night jump @ 500ft ( static-with reserves). Thot we were in Chile untill we regrouped when we hit the ground we found out we were still in Panama ! (live mission would have been nice but never made it )! Jump was fantastic - it was so dark we couldnt tell when we were going to hit the ground - it was fast & exciting! Wish i could have gotten a CIB out of it but our feet hit in Panama not Chile! Anyone out there on that jump with me?
Bigfootedalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 14:35   #39
Bigfootedalien
Asset

Earthquake - my 1st & only !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEC4 View Post
I was assigned to B company 8th Group and my detachment was stationed at Fort Sherman.
I helped support Jungle expert training when classes were held, Lot's of guard duty, had a cool earthquake one night.
A few night jumps into the bush, LRRP's
Panama was a great experience.

Jerry
Dont know if Ur still aound Jer but I remember that earthquake well - we all ran out (Irwin Street that night & watched the buildings shake! 5.5 I believe was my 1st & only Quake - We may have known eachother ! REmember Obie Obemier (sp) I hung with him for awile (pacific/atlantic)!
Bigfootedalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 21:11   #40
SPEC4
Guerrilla

8th group night jump

Yes, We served together, I was never assigned to Fort Gulick, always at Fort Sherman. Welcome Home !

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 13:20   #41
SPEC4
Guerrilla

Isolation, March '71

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Last edited by SPEC4; 12-18-2014 at 13:26. Reason: Forgot the photo, posted twice
Old 12-18-2014, 13:22   #42
SPEC4
Guerrilla

Isolation, March '71

I found this photo, isolation (Fort Randolph ?) before a strip search and a night jump, that began 30 days in the bush.
I don't know that the "real" missions were ever declassified .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.4 KB, 74 views)

Old 12-14-2019, 11:49   #43
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

8SFG(A) Airborne Instructor Group 1964-65

I thought some members might recognize a few faces. My father is top row, farthest right. I just found this photo and never got the chance to ask him about it. On the back he notes "Taught Latin American students from 6 countries".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th SFG Airborne Instructors.jpg (98.5 KB, 84 views)

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1

Last edited by twistedsquid; 12-14-2019 at 17:14.
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote