Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 12-29-2010, 04:54   #61
?authority
Quiet Professional

x

Last edited by ?authority; 08-22-2013 at 21:15.
?authority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:44   #62
Pete
Quiet Professional

Circa 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadar View Post
.... 5th Group was a Desert Group. We had recently (within a year or two) moved from Smoke Bomb Hill to over by Pope to some delapitated WWII bldgs...............l

And just to put a date on the move 1st Bn and A/3/5th palletized for Bright Star '83 in the new - old - compound over by Pope.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35   #63
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
And just to put a date on the move 1st Bn and A/3/5th palletized for Bright Star '83 in the new - old - compound over by Pope.
Those new-old WWII baracks were our DRF1 lockdown in 1979-80. I was in the 3/325 when we were locked into that area regularly as Jimmy Carter's Rapid Deployment Force, that never happened. I remember thinking how strange it was that the barbed wire fence was oriented to keep us in........

Later, I was assigned to ODA 593 in the same area and remember thinking, boy, they don't think much of 5th GRP around here....what a shit hole!

Then we moved down the road to the old 73rd Armor area by Pike Field, still a shit hole but, when we moved to our current location later on, in I guess 92?
I wanted to go back to Pike Feild....jd

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:24   #64
Charlie1bear
Asset

I was in 5th Group at the time, never heard of 160th than, I got orders to Bad Tolz Germany and 2 years later returned to Group at FCKY. I was told Gen. Wickham told Geneneral Westmoreland - former 101st Cdr in Viertnam that there would be and always wil be an "Airborne" unit at FCKY. We drew the short straw.
Charlie1bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:40   #65
Pete
Quiet Professional

Charlie1bear

Charlie1bear - check your PMs
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38   #66
J_Nuke
Asset

Mud bogging

from what I was told (and i was a young pup at the time) was it was both: the CSA wanted 5th at FCKY and the senators did too. 5th (FWD) was being moved to FBTX on the sly. 5th said they were setting up a desert warfare school there, but in reality they were slowly but surely moving their assets to FBTX and setting up house. I was someone's brat at the time, so that's why I'm familiar with the story. Among many others about and from the group guys there. Does anyone know if it was Nicewander that opened a mud bogging track off of highway 54?
J_Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 13:32   #67
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Nuke View Post
from what I was told (and i was a young pup at the time) was it was both: the CSA wanted 5th at FCKY and the senators did too. 5th (FWD) was being moved to FBTX on the sly. 5th said they were setting up a desert warfare school there, but in reality they were slowly but surely moving their assets to FBTX and setting up house. I was someone's brat at the time, so that's why I'm familiar with the story. Among many others about and from the group guys there. Does anyone know if it was Nicewander that opened a mud bogging track off of highway 54?
Not sure, I wouldn't put it past him. He did have that chevy truck with I think 2 1/2 ton axels under it.......and rattlers in sandbags in his truck...
Old 04-25-2011, 16:21   #68
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

The 5th Group at Ft. Campbell Ky.

The one and only time I was at Ft. Campbell, was during the SFA picnic that was held there while the SFA Convention was held in Nashville,Tn. in 2005. The area that the 5th SFG had was OLD & outdated, in a word it was and probably still is a shit hole! In my mind there is no doubt that consideration for the group being moved there was POLITICAL, that involved DEALS within congress and the political powers in and around Clarksville, Tn. SOMEONE and probably more than a few; made a-lot of money from the decision to move the group there. The Politicians in Congress and in a good part of the USA are sickening. Regard's, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 20:13   #69
Roger
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Guys,

I asked a friend who was pretty much involved in the move at that time. You would have thought that a move to Bliss would have made much more sense because of the B-500 ops going on out there at the time. Even we in the 7th used to use that area for our desert training--basing out of Oro Grande and training between there and Cloudcroft in NM...which has a LOT of desert before you ever reach the mountains of the Lincoln National Forest area.

Anyway, according to my friend, everyone thought the move was coming to Fort Bliss...but they obviously didn’t have the vision and foresight of the CSA (GEN Wickham).

Several staff studies were done for the CSA and they all came back with the western US as the location to move 5th SFG. On each one, he told them that was the wrong answer. When one finally came in that said Campbell, he took it.

The rest of the story is that the CSA had supposedly promised the communities of Clarksville/Hopkinsville a “brigade-sized unit” and there were houses going up all over the place in preparation for it. However, when the 1500 or so 5th SFG ffolkes showed up versus a typical brigade of nearly three times that number, the most common question in the community was “where is everybody else?” They had gotten an O6-level unit as promised--but not the numbers of troops in an Infantry brigade, which is what the communities were expecting. It was quite a let-down for them.

Anyway, that’s the story as I heard it and has been generally passed down through the ages of ARSFC…

Richard

PS-Old Coe Lake DZ near White Sands was not a soft landing, either.
James Adrian Guest had something to do with it as well. I was his 2 and he was involved in alot of 'things' like giving the flash to everyone and going to the tab, the 18-MOS/CMF which I still think is a dumb idea because nobody has a real future over E8/Major unless they get lucky, and the move of 5th to Campbell instead of Bliss or Huachuca. Both were looked at but, obviously, not chosen. And yes, Old Coe hurts like Hell.

Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 21:06   #70
nousdefions
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
...And yes, Old Coe hurts like Hell.

Roger
As did Desperation DZ
“Whether we come from poverty or wealth; whether we are Afro-American or Irish-American; Christian or Jewish, from big cities or small towns, we are all equal in the eyes of God. … May all of you as Americans never forget your heroic origins, never fail to seek divine guidance, and never lose your natural, God-given optimism. … My fellow Americans … God bless each and every one of you, and God bless this country we love.”
– Ronald Reagan, Aug. 17, 1992
nousdefions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 16:58   #71
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Just off Highway 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nousdefions View Post
As did Desperation DZ
...and the assembly point is right over there......3 hours later....
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 13:32   #72
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I don't even know why the stripes were moved off the flash.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:30   #73
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
I don't even know why the stripes were moved off the flash.
James A Guest, hey...ya gotta have a bullet (for the OER) I suppose...

I think it also happened around the time Suddeth (sudden death) wanted to "Clean SF up"...so, that with the old "Viet Nam" stigma, just helped pave the way....

Hell, we even had to get haircuts and trim our mustaches....

Who remembers the formations up on the upper parking lot around Bryant Hall????

He was sending alot of folks to the rear of the formation for "infractions"...which led to more "pre-inspections" before they had to go to the next one...

Thank the good Lord above...I was in O&I and assigned to SWC...so I didn't have the "pleasure" of partaking in such magnificent formations...
Old 07-12-2011, 16:49   #74
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
James A Guest, hey...ya gotta have a bullet (for the OER) I suppose...

I think it also happened around the time Suddeth (sudden death) wanted to "Clean SF up"...so, that with the old "Viet Nam" stigma, just helped pave the way....

Hell, we even had to get haircuts and trim our mustaches....

Who remembers the formations up on the upper parking lot around Bryant Hall????

He was sending alot of folks to the rear of the formation for "infractions"...which led to more "pre-inspections" before they had to go to the next one...

Thank the good Lord above...I was in O&I and assigned to SWC...so I didn't have the "pleasure" of partaking in such magnificent formations...
I got caught up in the one large cluster he put together. The only time I had to wear my dress greens while in Group outside of a school. Our team actually got busted walking to the formation with our hands in our pockets. Later the SGM couldn't keep a straight face when he chewed on us.

There were still 4 VN guys are our team when the flash change took place. A little higher than average. We used to joke it would be easier to cleanse their memories when they left. I always thought it was the same shit as the Tab. Don't know how it is now but in the 80's there was a lot of resentment from the guys who were not qualified. And group had a lot of O's that were not qualified. That same attitude applied towards the VN vets. They walked on water to us young team guys. And they could get away with shit because every SGM was one of them. Some people thought that was undermining their authority.

JMO

LHC
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:04   #75
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
I got caught up in the one large cluster he put together. The only time I had to wear my dress greens while in Group outside of a school. Our team actually got busted walking to the formation with our hands in our pockets. Later the SGM couldn't keep a straight face when he chewed on us.

There were still 4 VN guys are our team when the flash change took place. A little higher than average. We used to joke it would be easier to cleanse their memories when they left. I always thought it was the same shit as the Tab. Don't know how it is now but in the 80's there was a lot of resentment from the guys who were not qualified. And group had a lot of O's that were not qualified. That same attitude applied towards the VN vets. They walked on water to us young team guys. And they could get away with shit because every SGM was one of them. Some people thought that was undermining their authority.

JMO

LHC
Yup..part of entering "The new Army"...I suppose

C'mon Richard...."And so it goes"...

I'm here to "Clean you up"....Bwaahaaaahaaa

Well...some could say it worked..