Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 08-25-2007, 22:22   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Jason:

Vision is discussed in at least one of the stickies or intros.

A standard is a standard because it is a requirement. If you can't see any better than Mr. Magoo without corrective lenses, we can't use you.

We have explained at length why people with serious disabilities do not belong on ODAs.

Do some searching and reading to see why.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:02   #17
Jason17
Asset

TR,

I agree 100% with the reasoning behind the standards. I am also positive I will have eye surgery at some point in the next few years. My goal for right now is to get in and put myself into a position to achieve my goals somewhere down the road. What I do find interesting is that while my vision is bad, I do already meet the requirements for a "2" on the eye portion of the physical, which is what 18x requires. However, I have not actually taken the physical at MEPS.

"E" Position - Vision–eyes (5th number in the profile series) - Visual acuity, and organic disease of the eyes and lids.

1 - Uncorrected visual acuity 20/200 correctable to 20/ 20, in each eye.

2 - Distant visual acuity correctable to not worse than 20/40 and 20/70, or 20/30 and 20/100, or 20/20 and 20/ 400.

3 - Uncorrected distant visual acuity of any degree that is correctable not less than 20/40 in the better eye.

4 - Visual acuity below the standards of "3."
Jason17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:22   #18
Jason17
Asset

I have a couple of preliminary questions on SOTA that will hopefully point me in the right direction for future inquiries. I wanted an idea on the general structure and where these people come from.

1. What MOS' are eligible, and what is the usual makeup of each on a team?

2. How many people are on a team? If it is a set number, what is the significance of that number?

3. I haven't been able to find much on the 11V identifier. According to my understanding, anyone who is in the 75th has an 11V identifier. Does this mean all SOTA members are part of the 75th but attached to different units? What is the difference between a 98G who is part of SOTA, or just a 98G attached to an SF team or a Ranger unit?

4. What are the physical requirements? Not necessarily how far should I be able to ruck, but things like health requirements and such. If you can pass an Airborne physical, are you good to go?

5. I realize being on one of these teams is not an MOS in and of itself, but is it similar to SF in that once you enter this portion of the Army, you can stay there, or do you spend a little while on one of these teams and get sent back to "normal" duty?

6. Who is in charge of recruiting for SOTA? When do people normally put in an application? During the initial training phase, a year after you are with your first unit, or perhaps longer?

7. Are there 9,000 ( arbitrary ) people in the Army trying to get on a team when there are only a couple dozen ( more arbitrarity? arbitraritiness? ) slots?

That is it for now. I am overflowing with questions but some information on these just might clear some things up. I also have some general 98G or other MOS questions as well.

On a side note, we had a guy at church today come back from Iraq and got a nice unplanned standing ovation this morning. Its not much, but it is good to see some people not affiliated with the Military appreciate what is going on in the world, and are not "supportive" of the Military simply because it would be political suicide to say otherwise. We are only about half an hour from FT. Hood so it is a pro military area.

I am also planning to call the local SF recruiter and ask him which MOS' are not allowed their SF chance.

I appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2007, 14:31   #19
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason17
I have a couple of preliminary questions on SOTA that will hopefully point me in the right direction for future inquiries. I wanted an idea on the general structure and where these people come from.

2. How many people are on a team? If it is a set number, what is the significance of that number?

3. I haven't been able to find much on the 11V identifier. According to my understanding, anyone who is in the 75th has an 11V identifier. Does this mean all SOTA members are part of the 75th but attached to different units? What is the difference between a 98G who is part of SOTA, or just a 98G attached to an SF team or a Ranger unit?

4. What are the physical requirements? Not necessarily how far should I be able to ruck, but things like health requirements and such. If you can pass an Airborne physical, are you good to go?

5. I realize being on one of these teams is not an MOS in and of itself, but is it similar to SF in that once you enter this portion of the Army, you can stay there, or do you spend a little while on one of these teams and get sent back to "normal" duty?

6. Who is in charge of recruiting for SOTA? When do people normally put in an application? During the initial training phase, a year after you are with your first unit, or perhaps longer?

7. Are there 9,000 ( arbitrary ) people in the Army trying to get on a team when there are only a couple dozen ( more arbitrarity? arbitraritiness? ) slots?

That is it for now. I am overflowing with questions but some information on these just might clear some things up. I also have some general 98G or other MOS questions as well.

On a side note, we had a guy at church today come back from Iraq and got a nice unplanned standing ovation this morning. Its not much, but it is good to see some people not affiliated with the Military appreciate what is going on in the world, and are not "supportive" of the Military simply because it would be political suicide to say otherwise. We are only about half an hour from FT. Hood so it is a pro military area.

I am also planning to call the local SF recruiter and ask him which MOS' are not allowed their SF chance.

I appreciate it.
All of my paternal instincts wanted to answer those questions. My OPSEC self can't answer all of those questions. If you want to be a 98G, you can PM me and I'll evaluate the worthiness of your questions.
Old 08-26-2007, 14:45   #20
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
On a side note, we had a guy at church today come back from Iraq and got a nice unplanned standing ovation this morning. Its not much, but it is good to see some people not affiliated with the Military appreciate what is going on in the world
Every returnee is recognized in our church. All are well greeted and appreciated.
Old 08-26-2007, 16:36   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason17

I appreciate it.
You have a lot of questions. For all we know, you could be an American Taliban member.

You should be getting these answers from a recruiter, face to face. He is paid, at least partially, to answer your questions.

Nothing you will get here is enforceable, or necessarily credible.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 18:50   #22
Jason17
Asset

Quote:
You have a lot of questions. For all we know, you could be an American Taliban member.

You should be getting these answers from a recruiter, face to face. He is paid, at least partially, to answer your questions.

Nothing you will get here is enforceable, or necessarily credible.

Good luck.

TR
Any ideas as to where a recruiter is located that has some knowledge on this subject? I am 101% sure my recruiter has no clue as to even where to begin answering such questions. I am also 101% sure she will come up with something to say

I have talked to several recruiters at my station ( FT Hood ) about the option 40 contract as well as some general Ranger Regiment questions. Every time I had to explain the option 40 contract. Inaccurate statements and BS was highly prevalent in my conversations. Come to think of it, I am not sure I talked to anyone who knew the difference between going to RIP and earning your place in the 75th to going to Ranger school and becoming Ranger qualified. They are helpful people and all communication is professional and not blatant trickery, but it is difficult to find someone who is in the know. I am going to give the SF recruiter a call tomorrow so maybe he will know more.

I appreciate the help and I agree that this is not the best place for such discussions.

By the way, I live in Texas but go to school in Seattle, so if anyone knows any recruiters in either location that know what is going on and would be willing to talk to me, let me know! I realize most of these things I do not need to know but I like to be well informed so I can avoid future problems and get to where I want to go.
Old 08-26-2007, 19:50   #23
jatx
Area Commander

Call the recruiter for 2-20th SFG (A), his number is on our homepage. He is a QP with a reputation that proceeds him and will square you away. We have both SOT-A's and 98G's in the BSC.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 21:20   #24
Jason17
Asset

Thank you jatx.
Old 08-26-2007, 22:11   #25
shadowwalker
Asset

Quote:
I also have some general 98G or other MOS questions as well.
I don't know about the SF questions you are asking, but at one time I had a secondary of 98G. Also during 911 I was working in the S-2 shop for a BDE. I trained three 98G just out of AIT. Lastly, I spent my last year In the military, before I retired, attached to a MI Unit. If you want to PM me I can answer the day to day questions you might have about the MOS in general. I will say that with technology things change and some of my knowledge my be outdated. But I should be able as I said to give you a realistic view of the 98G MOS.

An armed society is a polite society
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03   #26
Jason17
Asset

Radar Rider - PM sent

Shadowwalker - PM sent
Old 08-28-2007, 00:51   #27
shadowwalker
Asset

PM in route. Hope it helps.

An armed society is a polite society
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:21   #28
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

RE:Your Questions about Special Forces

Jason,I see that you live in the Seattle,Wa. area,Do you know where Ft.Lewis is and how to get there? Second,call this phone number (253)966-7327 that is the number for the Special Forces Recruting Detachment at Ft.Lewis their address is Bldg.9181 RM 152 Cramer Street...Special Forces personal hold a briefing every Wednesday at the Evergreen Theater call them and ask for the times and the directions...Also The 1st Special Forces Gp.(Abn) is holding their 50th Reunion at the Seattle Airport Doubletree Hotel starting 8:00AM Thrusday 6 September through 12:00 Noon Tuesday 11 September 2007...FYI if you are interested in meeting some SF soldiers from the 1st Group.I will be there so if you would like to talk to me call the hotel....Regards,Tom Kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28   #29
Jason17
Asset

Tom,

I appreciate the offer. I go to SPU and just began a study abroad trip for this quarter. I will be back in Seattle in January so if you are around, I would definitely like to talk.

Jason
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55   #30
MikeBravo1
Asset

I am in a similar situation, so I will add my questions to this thread in lieu of posting a new one.

I am currently renegotiating my contract from 11x (11b) to 97e, with an airborne option. I have been in contact with retired service personnel who were 97e, 98g, and 97b during their military careers, and this route seems best suited to my personality, as well as being one of the few MOS's that will allow me to study a language at DLI. Eventually I plan to volunteer for Special Forces.

I am going to call the 2-20th SFG (A) Recruiter this week in regards to questions pertaining to SOTA, which is an option I am looking into, but which there is not a lot of information available.

I am in the Philadelphia, PA area, so if anyone is able to aid me in my endeavors, please let me know.

This is a question whose answer may be an OPSEC violation: Are 97b's attached to SF units? There is no 97b enlistment option that I am aware of, it requires two years of servuce before applying, and is a route I am thinking of taking, and I am curious as to where this MOS would be deployed and to whom it would be attached to.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
MikeBravo1 is offline   Reply With Quote