Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 10-18-2005, 08:41   #1
CoLawman
Area Commander

Graduation Ceremony

Inquiring minds want to know!

Earning the Green Beret and the Special Forces tab is quite an accomplishment. Since so few actually earn this distinction, I was wondering about the graduation ceremony. I understand that those in the pipeline now receive the beret and tab at the end. In my mind, I picture an elaborate ceremony with dignitaries, families, and friends in attendance.

I look at the pomp and ceremony for high school graduations, college graduations, and even OSUT graduations. These accomplishments are certainly deserving of all attendant fanfare.

But what about graduation from the pipeline. Is the ceremony lowkey,or is it commensurate with the lofty accomplishment? As a parent I can only imagine the emotions at such a ceremony. I would not even be able to imagine the emotions and sense of accomplishment for the soldier that earns his beret and tab at such a ceremony.

Any of the QP's want to recount their experience, emotions, and rememberances of the day.

I know there are several parents on this board who hope and pray for the day that they can attend such a ceremony and would love a glimpse into that day.
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:58   #2
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

yo COlawman.....

I'm on duty right next door, lawdawg....c'mon over and I'll buy ya a pop and tell ya ll about it!! LOL.

DG
Old 10-18-2005, 13:52   #3
CoLawman
Area Commander

But I am off today! Sorry! Type it up!
Old 10-18-2005, 15:04   #4
longtab
Quiet Professional

When I was in the Pipeline the evening prior to Robin Sage (then Phase 4)graduation we had the Regimental "picnic" which was the actual Beret donning ceremony. They had abolished the Regimental Dinner the class prior for whatever reasons. At the fancy friends and family "official" graduation you recieved your Phase 2-4 certificates and your "Yarborough" knife. Then cadre TOOK the knife promptly upon the completion of the ceremony never to been seen again until you recieved the SF tab! Then you had two or three weeks block leave before reporting to language school (Phase 5) for 4-6 months. Finally you received your SF tab at the SERE graduation (Phase 6), where you were re-united with your "Yarborough" knife. So basically the Phase 4 (Sage) graduation was the big celebration with friends, family and keggers; and SERE graduation was special, yet low-key... followed by keggers. I'm am told the whole pipeline has just been revamped though... so who knows.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell
longtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 15:23   #5
dennisw
Area Commander

My son is not in the newest configuration of the pipeline, but his class is part of the old and the new. He just finished lanquage school and will start SERE training on October 24. His graduation is scheduled for November 23 where he is supposed to received his beret and tab.

He is not really sure what the ceremony will entail, and I don't think he wants to ask and be accused of not keeping his eyes on the 15 meter target.

Whether it contains pomp and ceremony or they give us a half empty can of coors light, I'm wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll have digital camera in hand to record even the most insinificant details.
Old 10-18-2005, 19:01   #6
18C4V
Quiet Professional

My class didn't have the 18X or the Yarborough Knife.

My class (04-01) finished Robin Sage (phase 4) and came back to Bragg on a Sunday. We all go reassigned back to student company and Monday to Wed was full of inspections, details, and cleaning of TA-50 for CIF turn in. Wed was the class picture day and we needed two berets. One with our Group Flash and the other with the SWC Flash (for language school). Our class photo was with our Group Flash and that quickly went into the bag for the upcoming Regimental Supper on Thursday at the NCO Club.

The uniform for the Regimental Supper was BDU's with PC's. No guests were allowed unless your dad was SF. Each table had the Group Flash and all members sat at their own Group Table. My table, I had my Group Commander and Group CSM. The posting of the colors was done by the Honor Grads of all MOS's. We watched a short video, Generaly Boykin spoke a few words and "The Ballard of The Green Beret's" came on and the order came to "don Beret's". Most of the Groups handed out their Group Coins with the exception of 3rd Group (don't know why).

Our graduation was the next day in Class A uniform. My graduation was marred by the fact that we lost one classmate 1Lt Tallas Tomeny and almost lost another in a tragic accident that never should have happened. When my buddy who was wounded (18C) got up from his wheel chair and walked across the stage to receive his Beret, we all stood up and started clapping. As we all walked on the stage, General Boykin shook our hands and told each of us "Get ready to go to war". "The Ballard of the Green Beret's" came on and the order came "to don Beret's" and we did.

We received our Beret's and MOS orders and I took 10 days leave prior to reporting back for language school. In Language school, we were required to wear our Beret with the SWC Flash on it. Graduation for language school was simple. It was held in the auditorium on a thursday, got our 1059 and certificate and had Friday, Sat, and Sun off prior to starting SERE on Monday.

Graduation from SERE was cool, it was at the JFK auditorium and family members could attend. It was in BDU's and I got my tab orders along with my certificate. I got my graduation certificate signed by all the former POW's who were at the graduation ceremony.

Two weeks later, I sign into my company and into my team as the Sr 18C. Two weeks after that my bn got deployed down range.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 19:25   #7
CoLawman
Area Commander

Quote:
Our graduation was the next day in Class A uniform. My graduation was marred by the fact that we lost one classmate 1Lt Tallas Tomeny and almost lost another in a tragic accident that never should have happened. When my buddy who was wounded (18C) got up from his wheel chair and walked across the stage to receive his Beret, we all stood up and started clapping. As we all walked on the stage, General Boykin shook our hands and told each of us "Get ready to go to war". "The Ballard of the Green Beret's" came on and the order came "to don Beret's" and we did.

Thank you for the post. Lt. Tomeny's loss and the serious wounding of your friend was truly a tragedy. A tragedy that left so many questions unanswered. Especially for someone such as yourself... who wears both hats.
Again thanks for your excellent post.
Old 10-18-2005, 20:18   #8
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

A note from another Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
You were a plank holder in 112th Sig and you have a kid in the pipeline?

Geezus! AM, you are old!
This kinda ties in with the Grad Thread...........

I think that SOGVET (CC) was in the then Phase II (Robin Sage) class in '70 when a whole Team and a few Instructors were lost on the Demo Range. I was awaiting orders for the 5th and an all expense paid trip to RVN !!!

Most parents and newbies do not understand, that this is a VERY Dangerous business and stuff does happen.

I'll be copying this into the Graduation Thread.

Later
Martin
Old 10-18-2005, 22:48   #9
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

Geez, what does it take to get your next door neighbor to come over?!?!

When we graduated, we came out of the field from Robin Sage ...seems like it was a Monday. Anyways, we spent a day cleaning rifles and tents and all kinds of stuff. We reported back to our MOS companies, and as we finally got there, we were told our Group assignments and told we had @ 24 hours to have our group flashes sown on. I think I was issued 1 ea. Green Beret at that time as well. The next night was the regimental supper. That was truly superb, and will probably always be one of my fondest memories. Only cadre and students and distinguished guests were allowed. I think that only a father or brother who were GB's could attend. After they posted the colors, and several speakers spoke (wah-wah-wah-wa-wah...no disrespect to the speakers who were very articulate and motivational, but after the rigors of the course, Robin Sage, the excitement of everything and a couple brews....) Then came the order to stand. they played the ballad of the Green Beret, and came the command "Gentlemen, don your berets". Was the proudest moment of my life except for the birth of my kids.

The graduation proper was held in the Cumberland county Auditorium. It was the coolest, funnest and most exciting graduation I have ever attended. MG Garrison was our presenter. It was raucous, and loud...and it was encouraged!! MG Garrison said...these men have earned this, and let's celebrate!! Noone got rude or out of hand with the camera's. Family was encouraged to take pics as your diploma was handed out, and you could mug for the camera.(my brother got a good one of MG G handing me my diploma!) Don't get me wrong, it was all very respectful, I'm sure they posted the colors properly, and played the Army Song and all that happy horsedookey. It was so unlike anything I had ever experiecned in the regular Army, where graduations tend to be stuffy, hot and boring. This truly was a celebration, and I sure hope your son's is like that too!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:52   #10
dennisw
Area Commander

graduation ceremony

I spoke with my son yesterday. He gave me an update on the graduation. He said there is actually two. One where you get your beret and one where you get your tab.

Looking forward to both.
Old 10-30-2005, 23:56   #11
blustr18b
Auxiliary

Question-I have been approached by a reporter from our local paper that would like to write an article about my son's experience going through the Q course, and attend his graduation. Is there a protocal for this? Thanks.

blustr18b
blustr18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 00:04   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blustr18b
Question-I have been approached by a reporter from our local paper that would like to write an article about my son's experience going through the Q course, and attend his graduation. Is there a protocal for this? Thanks.

blustr18b
The protocol is to just say no. I recommend that he decline.

We are not in this for the publicity, and his team will not look kindly on a cherry with no deployments under his belt waxing poetic about the trials and tribulations of the SFQC. The chain of command rarely sees this as a positive event either. Many ways to go wrong, and few positive aspects.

Maybe he can tell his best Robin Sage story for them, or that he can tell him, but then he will have to kill him.

Quiet Professionals do not normally give interviews willingly while still on active duty.

Have him direct the reporter to the USASOC or SWCS PAO.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:55   #13
dennisw
Area Commander

Quote:
It was so unlike anything I had ever experiecned in the regular Army, where graduations tend to be stuffy, hot and boring. This truly was a celebration, and I sure hope your son's is like that too!
Sounds like a really good time. For me and my family, and I'm sure for most of the folks on this forum who have sons in the pipeline, a fun ceremony will be the icing on the cake.

Firebeef, thanks for the information.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:58   #14
dennisw
Area Commander

Had a wonderful time

Well, we just returned from Fort Bragg. The graduation ceremonies were fun and memorable. Let me just offer this caveat right away, one of my son’s friends graduated four weeks earlier, and his ceremonies were not exactly the same so you need to remain flexible if you attend one in the future.

As I mentioned previously, there were two ceremonies. The first was an outdoor ceremony welcoming the graduates to the regiment. The second was a more formal ceremony held at the Coliseum located in nearby Fayetteville. Both ceremonies were enjoyable in there own way.

The outdoor ceremony was held in front of the statue of Colonel “Bull” Simons which is next to the SF museum. Unfortunately, the weather did not completely cooperate as it was cold and the wind was blowing pretty hard. I thought maybe it was part of the training.

All the graduates wore their BDU’s and were in formation according to the group they were going to join. They had a bag piper who played a series of songs and did a hell of a job considering the windy conditions. After the introductions of honored guests, they had about 20 SF veterans from past and current conflicts line up facing the graduates . The graduates were asked to don their green berets which was very moving for me personally. Then glasses of wine were distributed to the SF veterans, and they toasted the graduates and drank the wine (I was hoping they would dash the goblets on the concrete when they were finished, but there’s probably a rule against that).

The chaplain who offered the prayer did a fantastic job. One of the things he mentioned was the concept of," to whom much is given much is expected." I thought that put a lot of things in perspective.

By the way, the museum is very interesting, and they have a great gift shop.

As I mentioned before, the formal ceremony was held at the Coliseum which is where the local hockey team plays. The building is fairly good size, but it did not detract from the ceremony. BG Mulholland, Jr. gave the address, but it was hard to hear exactly what he said as he’s pretty tall and was a ways from the microphone. I thought about yelling, “Can’t hear you”, but I did not feel like doing push ups.

In the beginning of the program they showed some videos of action in Afghanistan an Iraq. They were pretty graphic and I believe a few grandmas at the ceremony looked like deer caught in headlights.

They honored the distinguished graduates first and then brought each group up according to their MOS’s. Everyone was very excited and enjoyed it immensely.

A little off the subject, we had Thanksgiving dinner at the Pinehurst resort, specifically at the Carolina Hotel. I ask my sons and their friends who we invited share our dinner to wear their dress uniforms. I wanted the stuffed shirt crowd and the blue bloods to see some soldiers up close and realize the warriors they see on CNN and Fox are real people. Their response was surprising. Many a holiday garbed matron came up to these men and hugged them and thanked them for their service. In the hotel lobby, numerous older gents stopped them to shake their hands and thank them for their service. I was humbled and grateful.

Last edited by dennisw; 11-27-2005 at 10:18.
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:23   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw
A little off the subject, we had Thanksgiving dinner at the Pinehurst resort, specifically at the Carolina Hotel. I ask my sons and their friends who we invited share our dinner to wear their dress uniforms. I wanted the stuffed shirt crowd and the blue bloods to see some soldiers up close and realize the warriors they see on CNN and Fox are real people. Their response was surprising. Many a holiday garbed matron came up to these men and hugged them and thanked them for their service. In the hotel lobby, numerous older gents stopped them to shake their hands and thank them for their service. I was humbled and grateful.
Dennis:

Thank you for your comments. Good report.

As far as "stuffed shirt crowd and the blue bloods" seeing some real soldiers up close, not being a local, you might be surprised how many military in general, and SF in particular, live here in the Pinehurst area.

One of those gents happens to be the guy that the Yarborough knife is named for.

Another happens to be a Nazi death camp survivor who also held BG Mulholland's job a few years ago.

There are many veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, Mogadishu, OIF, OEF, and a hundred little battles you never heard of before living within a few miles of the Carolina Hotel.

Some of those "older gents" were probably veterans of some pretty scary combat. Likely, some were retired Colonels or Sergeants Major. Some may have been SF themselves. One could have even been me.

Moore County is one of the places Robin Sage is conducted. Parts of Camp MacKall are in Moore County. That is the same county where the Carolina Hotel is located and you had your meal. On occasion, I eat there as well. I do not consider myself a "stuffed shirt" or a "blue blood".

We appreciate your son's service and his sacrifice, and applaud your request to have him wear his uniform. At the same time, note that there are many quiet heros out there who have already worn their uniforms, made their sacrifices, and left the business behind. Many have served with great honor and distinction. Your son is only beginning his career. Have him wear the uniform from pride and respect, never to show off.

I would not presume too much about the people of an area based on your cursory analysis, or desire to flash your son's credentials.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote