Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 01-17-2005, 17:51   #1
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question ActCel hemostatic gauze

Has anyone heard of or used this yet?

Recent developments in technology have allowed this revolutionary gauze to change the way EMS professionals treat their patients. ActCel was developed as a tool to provide medical professionals the ability to stop bleeding in the most efficient manner possible.

CAN BE USED FOR:
• Capillary Wounds
• Arterial Bleeds
• Lacerations
• Abrasions
• Punctures

ActCel hemostatic gauze, created from regenerated cellulose, is an effective, patented hemostatic agent. Upon contact with blood, ActCel gauze instantly converts to a collagen like gel which expands to cause direct pressure on blood vessels and control bleeding. Hemostatic Gauze is water-soluble and the gel can be removed easily when water, saline or hydrogen peroxide is applied.

http://www.actcel.com/EMS/index.html

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:00   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Guy,
I never doubt new products but.....I usually get a heads up on stuff like this with my tactical medical connections...you can see on the civilian and armed forces side where products like this are desperately needed and I generally get an early view/review of similiar products. This is the 1st I'm hearing about this one.......
I'm going to contact the company and see what happens. I usually 'field test' myself at my trauma center and with another trauma center to remain 'unbiased'.
I have used traumadex and like it, stay away from Quikclot.
If I do get a chance at trying this product, I'll post the results.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:07   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Thanks Doc,

Something told me to stay away from Quickclot. Pouring something into a wound did not sit right with me.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 01-20-2005, 12:30   #4
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Guy,
read this....... from www.policemag.com
We published this a few months ago
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blood_Clotters_Article.pdf (166.3 KB, 113 views)
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 01-20-2005, 21:08   #5
Guy
Quiet Professional

Doc...

We are going to have to talk. I just came up with a way to use that new stuff.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 01-25-2005, 19:57   #6
DoctorDoom
Guerrilla

x

Last edited by DoctorDoom; 07-29-2013 at 09:24.
DoctorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 13:57   #7
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Bump.

I saw a package of this ActCel in a prepacked hurricane survival kit one of my neighbors had - I had never heard of it before today. Their website makes some big claims (big surprise, lol). Has anyone had any experience with this product in emergent situations since this thread was begun in 2005?
Old 08-20-2008, 15:26   #8
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

D9...good for scrapes and bu-bu's IMHO. I had 20 sheets of the stuff given to me by the developer of it. Was trying to compete with other known products for tactical use. If you fell and skinned your knee, it would work fine.........

ss

Old 08-20-2008, 15:38   #9
adal
Quiet Professional

According to ATACCC (Advanced Trauma Applications in Combat Casualty Care Research Program) conference last week in Tampa, ActCel isn't even on their radar. Top of the list was Woundstat, Hemcon and then Quikclot. Problem with all of these is that you have to hold pressure for two to five minutes. That's too long in the field under fire.
Just an FYI, Quikclot does not have the exothermic properties it used to. It no longers gets above 110f. It is no longer in a pourable powder form, it is in little mesh packages that have a radiopaque marker so docs know when it is in the wound. Also the makers of the Israeli bandage are working on including it in their bandage. It'll have tear offs that you can put in the wound and then wrap with the bandage.
adal

Last edited by adal; 08-20-2008 at 17:53.
adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 19:24   #10
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Great update. Thanks all for the info.