Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 01-30-2011, 14:53   #1
ABNinRI
Asset

Steven Nicely - K-9 Trainer

Gents,

In a LE network I am involved in, this guy is causing problems with LE friends from and around the midwest. He has primarily embarrassed himself with court testimony regarding K-9 procedures, and is more of a pain in the ass rather than a real threat.

He claims to have trained dogs for SFOD-D, as seen in the link below

http://www.nicelytraineddog.com/about_us.htm

If anyone here can credit or discredit this claim, I'd appreciate it.

Stay Safe
ABNinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 15:06   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Heck of a stretch

"..................Before starting his own training business in Austin, Steve was the senior trainer for the world’s largest commercial police dog training facility located in Somerset Texas. There he trained and supervised the training of over 1000 working dogs with several hundred handlers from city to federal level, as well as international agencies. To include the first two dogs specifically trained for the United States Army's elite "Delta Force."..........."

Heck of a stretch into pimping his abilities - even if they went there they were but two of 1,000.

Then again the question could be asked - "If he was so good how come they didn't order any more from him after he started his own business?"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 15:16   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I'll ask my Dog Guy tomorrow. He's fairly well connected; if the guy is legit, he probably knows him (or knows someone else who can verify him).

FWIW - One of the things I look at when reviewing an individual's claims is their command of MSE (Modern Standard English ). If they can't get that right in documents touting their "skills", it raises flags WRT their other claims as well. His web page is rife with errors.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 17:00   #4
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Bullshit. Concur, but we'll let this one work itself out without going behind fences. Peregrino

http://www.k9consultantsofamerica.co...um%20Vitae.pdf

Notice in the section listed "Invited Speaker and Instructor" he does not list anything about the D. The last date listed is Oct 2009.

I call bullshit. I can email my contacts, but I think you already know the answer to this one.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55   #5
Santo Tomas
Guerrilla

I'm am the MWD PM here. I'll check with my contacts.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37   #6
Santo Tomas
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Tomas View Post
I'm am the MWD PM here. I'll check with my contacts.
I've heard back from some of my contacts. Nothing good. You can PM me for more details.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I asked. I'm still laughing. The military K9 community is VERY small. One of the responses is pasted below for your collective amusement.

I (my K9 guy) talked with redacted the guy who owns redacted and was the actually company that trained the first redacted dogs. He said this guy is a Cancer in the K9 community he never trained redacted dogs and has made his living testifying against police K9 teams in court claiming to be an expert witness for the defense trying to debunk K9s ability to detect odor. redacted recommends informing the redacted that this guy is claiming to have trained their dogs so that they can put a stop to these claims and this guy need to be made aware he and his opinions are not welcome in the redacted community.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:22   #8
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Shouldn't he be hammersmithed and hillared all over the place, then?
Old 01-31-2011, 13:32   #9
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
I asked. I'm still laughing. The military K9 community is VERY small. One of the responses is pasted below for your collective amusement.

I (my K9 guy) talked with redacted the guy who owns redacted and was the actually company that trained the first redacted dogs. He said this guy is a Cancer in the K9 community he never trained redacted dogs and has made his living testifying against police K9 teams in court claiming to be an expert witness for the defense trying to debunk K9s ability to detect odor. redacted recommends informing the redacted that this guy is claiming to have trained their dogs so that they can put a stop to these claims and this guy need to be made aware he and his opinions are not welcome in the redacted community.
Nicely played, sir! Nicely played...
Old 01-31-2011, 16:01   #10
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Thank you, thank you, we'll be in the area all day!

On a serious note - this DB (dirtbag) isn't ours to "out". He's already well known in the community of professional (LEO) dog trainers. We are not going to pursue him - there's no return on investment. He won't affect our program and the guys he is maligning are more than capable of taking out their own trash.

Old 01-31-2011, 17:11   #11
Richard
Quiet Professional

This mutt's nothing but another dog-gone fraud...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 18:45   #12
ABNinRI
Asset

Thank you gentlemen.
ABNinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 19:54   #13
joncken@live.co
Asset

So, you wanna rip on one of your own? Yes he was head trainer at Global and responsible for a lot of careers and lives. Yes he did dogs for special forces cause I did them with him. When he left Global to start his own company he retired from training physically. The trouble caused to LE was brought on themselves. He started testifying while he was still training and NONE of his dogs had the issues that he brought to light in court. He also offered EVERY SINGLE DEPARTMENT for him to come, for free, just pay his travel, and he would train the officers how to not have their dogs reliability never questioned again. How to make those dogs abilities and reliability bulletproof. But nobody took him up on it. Just wanted to bitch about it. The things that he was testifying about are now not only taught in K9 associations around the US but are now part of case law and are protecting peoples 4th amendment which you all promised to protect as well. He was ahead of his time. He has passed, but his effect on the industry is forever stamped and is helping get closer to better testing and certification standards. If your friends dog got proven unreliable that is because they weren't doing what was needed to have a well trained accurate dog. It wasn't his fault they were too lazy to do better.
joncken@live.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:11   #14
JimP
Quiet Professional

He's full of shit so far as the Unit. That's all I'll say. Total BS.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:45   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncken@live.co View Post
So, you wanna rip on one of your own? Yes he was head trainer at Global...
Not our circus, not our clown. The affected folks will get things sorted as necessary.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote