Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 18:51   #16
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

My recommendation would be to go to any Army School you can get into, except Airborne. The year I worked in Cadet Command, not a single LT that left our school that wanted to go to BAC failed to get a slot, either before BOLC, after enroute to OBC, after, enroute to their first duty assignment, etc. No one got an Air Assault slot once they left school unless they went to Campbell, or a Sapper Course unless they were Engineers, etc.
Old 02-10-2009, 21:18   #17
Atilla
Asset

First gentlemen let me thank you for all of the amazing advice I have been receiving. As you all have helped me to evaluate the problem with effective and wise counsel. I think that per the advice I have received from many of you I will be trying as hard as I can to get either Sapper school or MWS. As you gents are aware that is easy for me to say so I will let you all know when I know for sure whether I will be lucky enough to attend anything.

In another bit of fortuitous news. Today while I was engaging in a Crossfit workout with the Major in charge of my military science course there was a new gentleman working out with us. He was motivating me while I was doing the prescribed deadlifts. Didn't ask who he was as I know things like that are always revealed with time. Later on in the day I saw him in the building again in his ACU's. Turns out this gentleman is our new XO and one of the first things I noticed was a blue arrowhead with three lighting bolts and a knife on it on his right shoulder. I thought could I really be this lucky to have an 18A QP as our new XO and so I glanced at the other shoulder and saw the expected progression of tabs. So now not only do I have all you fine gentlemen to help mentor me on my quest but quite literally one of my direct mentors has accomplished the things I am hoping to. How lucky can one guy be. Now I will sit back and wait for the opportunity to present itself for me to non-intrusively pick this man's brain as I am trying to pick all of yours. That is unless he is a member of this forum in which case I will feel embarrassed for talking about it in such a theatrical manner. Wanted to share my luck though. Thanks gents.

Last edited by Atilla; 02-10-2009 at 22:52.
Old 02-10-2009, 21:32   #18
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

MAN! some kids just get all the toys before Christmas don't they?

going to do some more PT.
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
Old 02-10-2009, 22:16   #19
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Turns out this gentleman is our new XO and one of the first things I noticed was a spade with three lighting bolts on it on his right shoulder.
A spade?
Old 02-10-2009, 22:51   #20
Atilla
Asset

I know that it is supposed to be an arrowhead. I was just trying to paint the picture of my first quick glance of the patch (It does kind of look like a spade). I apologize and will edit my post to fix the error and will push for my rookie mistake.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:09   #21
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
First gentlemen let me thank you for all of the amazing advice I have been receiving. As you all have helped me to evaluate the problem with effective and wise counsel. I think that per the advice I have received from many of you I will be trying as hard as I can to get either Sapper school or MWS. As you gents are aware that is easy for me to say so I will let you all know when I know for sure whether I will be lucky enough to attend anything.

In another bit of fortuitous news. Today while I was engaging in a Crossfit workout with the Major in charge of my military science course there was a new gentleman working out with us. He was motivating me while I was doing the prescribed deadlifts. Didn't ask who he was as I know things like that are always revealed with time. Later on in the day I saw him in the building again in his ACU's. Turns out this gentleman is our new XO and one of the first things I noticed was a blue arrowhead with three lighting bolts and a knife on it on his right shoulder. I thought could I really be this lucky to have an 18A QP as our new XO and so I glanced at the other shoulder and saw the expected progression of tabs. So now not only do I have all you fine gentlemen to help mentor me on my quest but quite literally one of my direct mentors has accomplished the things I am hoping to. How lucky can one guy be. Now I will sit back and wait for the opportunity to present itself for me to non-intrusively pick this man's brain as I am trying to pick all of yours. That is unless he is a member of this forum in which case I will feel embarrassed for talking about it in such a theatrical manner. Wanted to share my luck though. Thanks gents.
Ok I'll flash my FOG lights. What unit sports a "blue arrowhead with three lighting bolts and a knife"?

Atilla, there is a reason I highlighted some of your prose in brown and not purple. Dial it back a tad, please. Or we may have to hold our Rolexs above our heads . . . its probably too late to save the Danners.
20 years is a looooong time, pace yourself.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Ok I'll flash my FOG lights. What unit sports a "blue arrowhead with three lighting bolts and a knife"?
Look on the sleeve of your greens, FOG.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00   #23
Calvengeance
Asset

I'm in the same boat trying to figure out what to do with my summer '09 training before LDAC next summer.

Right now I'm leaning towards Air Assault because it's supposed to be more challenging and informative than Airborne. Also, if I'm unable to fit in Airborne next summer after LDAC, supposedly they hand Airborne slots out like candy after commissioning. Down the road there will be more opportunities for Airborne, but Air Assault might be elusive in the future.

If we get an option for Sapper school, I'd love to do that, but it doesn't seem like that's in the cards.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:51   #24
Atilla
Asset

Dozer 523, roger I get ahead of myself sometimes. I am concerned though I was under the impression that rolexes were issued upon graduation from Q course. If there are no rolexes I am not sure I am on board anymore.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48   #25
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Look on the sleeve of your greens, FOG.

TR
Sorry. But "blue spade / arrowhead with three lighting bolts and a knife" had to be the oddest description of the SF Shoulder Sleeve Insignia I've ever read. It's not blue. It's Teal Blue. Its not a spade or a shovel, It's an Arrowhead. It's not a knife it's a Fighting Knife. But, they are Lightning Bolts. Go to this site
http://www.groups.sfahq.com/sf_heral...ch_heraldy.htm Study it Atilla! There will be a test.
And why is this Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (don't ever call it a "patch") worn on a set of ACU's, not subdued?

And if you are in this for the watch . . .
Old 02-11-2009, 11:03   #26
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Sorry. But "blue spade / arrowhead with three lighting bolts and a knife" had to be the oddest description of the SF Shoulder Sleeve Insignia I've ever read.
Can't even recognize the old "electric butter knife" SSI anymore when you hear one described? Better take your Ginko!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 02-11-2009, 15:17   #27
Atilla
Asset

Will recite the aspects of the SF SSI as I push.
Old 02-11-2009, 16:26   #28
Razor
Quiet Professional

Someone needs a cup or two of camomile.
Old 02-11-2009, 16:31   #29
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Probably. . .
It has been an interesting day, in a Chinese sort of way. Atilla . . . quit trying to make me like you.
Old 02-11-2009, 18:11   #30
Atilla
Asset

All due respect is it working or do I need to withdraw and attack from a different direction?