Old 02-22-2009, 11:56   #1
CasperMike
Quiet Professional

1/10 info

Just got news of a 24 month unaccompanied jaunt to 1/10. Whats the scoop on the area (barracks, etc.), and is it worth it to bring the Harley??
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27   #2
Stras
Quiet Professional

Yes it's worth it to bring the bike to Germany (with caveat). You are now subject to the German noise regulations, which means your pipes can be no louder than 92 decibels. Bring your stock pipes if you still have them, or buy a used set off ebay before you come over. Depending on your rank you could be in the barracks, but the majority of the SSG/SFC and above are living in either gov't quarters or on the economy. There are lots of places to choose from. At a minimum you will want a place with an EBK, and a garage for the bike. EBK is the code for a furnished kitchen (stove, sink, etc).

Depending on which company you are assigned to, plan on being away for about 1/2 your tour over there.

Google Boeblingen, Germany on the map program and this will give you an idea of the area around Panzer Kaserne. I lived in Schonaich when I was stationed there the 2nd time, 10 min commute to work.

Before the movers pack out your bike, spray the metal parts down with vegetable oil. this will help prevent corrosion during the move overseas.

Last edited by Stras; 02-22-2009 at 12:30.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 19:28   #3
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

Pipes

I guess I was the ugly Ami, I took my baffles out as I was told by my German wife that as an American I did not have to follow the German Bike laws. Most of my neighbors loved the sound of the Hawg. Come on Stras, dont be a party pooper. However I did not remove my baffles until after my TUV inspection.
Old 02-24-2009, 14:59   #4
Stras
Quiet Professional

I ran straight pipes on my bike the last time I was over there... However, with the German License plates now being issued, it's written in the regs and enforced by the Vehicle Registration Inspection guys.

I'm not saying that you have to keep the stock pipes on the whole time you're there.. just that the "get out of jail and don't impound my bike cuz I'm an american and not subject to the TUV checks" train of thought may not work on the next tour in Germany.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:47   #5
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
enforced by the Vehicle Registration Inspection guys.
Affirmative. The TÜV people will be on your butt, as well as the local PD. They hunt down Bikers on the weekend, for noise emission violations. I had a HD Sporty with straight pipes but was going really easy around populated areas. I have a AC Schnitzer pipe on my 1200cc BMW now, ain't exactly quiet either, but WTH, loud pipes save lifes.

My Mustang has a nice Magnaflow as well, I always let it roll if I see a Patrolcar somewhere (no professional coutesey here... )

Bring your hog to Germany, this place is lots fun to ride. Ride on down to Munich (220 klicks one way) and I show you some nice roads in the Alps.

As for shipping, I spray my bikes with WD-40 when I transport them.
Old 03-09-2009, 16:05   #6
CasperMike
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the ridin! I'll be there in May, but no telling when my bike will show up--I'm guessing a couple of weeks later.
Old 03-10-2009, 16:08   #7
CasperMike
Quiet Professional

Is it true that if you do an unaccompanied tour, the Army will 'patch your phone' so that when the wifey calls, you won't get charged out the ass? I had heard this from a retired guy--just trying to confirm. I can't find any info elsewhere; didn't know if this was one of those things not openly mentioned, outdated info, or rumor.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:29   #8
Stras
Quiet Professional

Communication across the pond

Casper Mike,

Look into Vonnage or Skype type of phone/computer devices. I'm sure there's a better program out there.

I'm currently using Yahoo IM and a web cam with my better half on the other side of the pond currently. But we're talking about upgrading to skype.

When my team went to the sand box, we had a vonnage phone for family type comms. Worked out really well, and very inexpensive.

The trick is finding a time that both of you are free to talk. usually the beginning and ending of the day. this is tricky when you have a 6 or 8 hr time gap. I rush home from work in NC, to try to catch her in Germany before 2300hrs. Morning commo sucks, as I need to be up at 0100 for about 20-30 min commo period before she goes to work.

Hope this helps.

Stras
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17   #9
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Hey, just .02 but skype with the webcam is the way to go. It is free too. I have been retired for about 15 years now and we could not even use phones or mail more often than not when I was in. I am out of country now, India, and I use skype to communicate all over the States with family. II talked to TS in AZ a few days ago. It is very clear and the webcam really enhances everything. My wife and children and grandkids really appreciate the web cam. Check into it. It make the family happy and helps you too.

Dave
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 23:52   #10
quietstorm3155
Asset

Bikes!

I can tell you from experience that if you have Armed Forces plates you will be ticketed for having loud pipes. I had a CBR 900rr Fireblade. As I pass an oncoming patrol car in Wittlich I pulled the cluch in to kill the db some. Apparently not good enough as some Polezi on foot stopped Me, my friend, and German riding partners. My friend and I from base were fined a good bit of money and the German, well his bike was impounded. In regards to all traffic laws and regs it is almost always better to be associated with the base. Our bikes would have been impounded if it weren't for the Armed Forces plates

Its funny watching two grown men in there 30's ride 2up on a Ninja. LOL.
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06   #11
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

We went through TKS on the phone and got a packaged deal where you can select x amount of countries to get a reduced rate. My wife calls her family in the states etc and its really cheap. The Skype and Yahoo web base are also money if you are looking for free; however, with family getting the phone set up for US calls makes life easy.
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50   #12
CasperMike
Quiet Professional

Good info

Thanks for the info, guys! I've been here a few weeks now and am finally able to ride the bike.
Anyone goin' for a ride anytime soon?!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42   #13
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Anyone goin' for a ride anytime soon?!
Heck yes, if those damn t-storms would go away. Ain't no fun at 28 degrees celsius and rain... I'm down here in Munich, so just let me know.

I was up in BB twice the last couple of weeks, but in my black '05 Mustang with Munich plates. I usually hang out at Beckenklinge for some Pizza, right next to the base (across from the housing entrance, may 100 feet down the road).
Old 07-19-2009, 13:17   #14
DocBrad173
Quiet Professional

Pipe Fix

If you run V&H pipes like most of us, come by BN MED and I'll hook you up with a set of bolt on baffels for the inspection. HSC also has a set of stock pipes you can ask the 1SG to use.

Avoid the old guy at the inspection station. He has passed me for the last 4 years without baffels, but failed me this year. Never had a problem before.
DocBrad173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:02   #15
CHRISTIN
Quiet Professional

With a little Luck

There are two inspectors at Vehicle Reg... an old German guy and a young one. Try to get the younger guy to inspect your scoot... he seems a bit more lenient on the pipes. The older guy is definitely a "by-the-book" hardnose German inspector.

My Heritage Springer is a trifle bit on the loud side, but has always passed using this "method" But, just in case, bring those stockers (as Stras suggested) as "Plan B"
CHRISTIN is offline   Reply With Quote