Old 11-20-2006, 16:45   #16
Pete
Quiet Professional

Stop and enjoy the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8SHTR
......so you don't spend every moment when not on the line stuffing mags.
Classes are one thing but.....

Sometimes it's nice just to take a break from shooting and slowly reload some mags while you observe the action on the rest of the firing line.

No need to hurry, be happy.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 18:34   #17
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Mags

I have 12 I maintain, but who knows how many lying around the shed.....Heard a good technique about Mags at training the other day. Instructor said "I number all my mags and when I have a problem with one I clean it perform maintenance on it. If I have a problem again with the same Mag it go's in the trash" Pretty good advice I thought.
Old 11-20-2006, 21:02   #18
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
As the saying goes, when asked "How much ammo should I carry?", the correct response is, "How much CAN you carry?" IMHO, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you are trying to swim.
TR
I stole your statement, "The only time you have too much ammo is when you're trying to swim" when we first started to do planning about carrying M16's on our aircraft. Being on fire is a good point to remember, too.

As many have said, I'm going to stock up on more in case the ban rears it's ugly head again.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 21:43   #19
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Classes are one thing but.....Sometimes it's nice just to take a break from shooting and slowly reload some mags while you observe the action on the rest of the firing line. No need to hurry, be happy.
Pete:

I couldn't agree more. I would insist that the ammo be located a good 100 yards behind the line, and under cover from rain, snow, sleet during the winter; and sun during the summer. The guys could leave the firing line, get under some cover from the elements, remove helmets, body armor, etc and leisurely load magazines while smoking, pounding down water, eating, and generally cooling out and or getting away from the noise for a few minutes.

Results: Sustainment of very high levels of performance throughout a training day with much less consumption of ammunition -- plus guys who wanted to come back and train the next day!

You are describing what I call 'common sense' training.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 21:55   #20
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz
Heard a good technique about Mags at training the other day. Instructor said "I number all my mags and when I have a problem with one I clean it perform maintenance on it. If I have a problem again with the same Mag it go's in the trash" Pretty good advice I thought.
KG:

Either this guy has some real poorly made magazines or his M-4 has problems.

I am using some 20 round M-16 Magazines that are at least forty years old, and they function perfectly from three different AR-15 lowers and uppers.

I have been using the same four M-14 magazines (GI Issue) with my M-14 for twenty years now at a rate of about 5K rounds per year fired for ten solid years, and so far there have been no failures of these magazines.

I picked up about thirty old .45 ACP military magazines out of DRMO for free and so far only one of them has failed to function properly out of three different M-1911's.

If this guy is using an issued M-4, the problem isn't magazines.

Gene
Old 11-21-2006, 18:47   #21
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

mags

Quote:
Either this guy has some real poorly made magazines or his M-4 has problems.
He didn't say he has problems with mags all the time but when he doe's.This is how he keeps track of the problem with his Weapons Magazines.
Old 11-21-2006, 19:43   #22
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Sounds like a good idea kg - we should think about doing it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 20:31   #23
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

mags

Quote:
Ditto...already have it on the list
Old 11-21-2006, 21:13   #24
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Doc:

Well, you and KG please chuck your 'bad' magazines into a box and when it is full or you guys accumulate ten of them, just send them to me. I will pay the shipping.

Have seen too many magazines not work, then do work, then not work etc. Mostly with M-4s. Have put the same magazines into M-16A2's or even my own variety of AR-15s and they functioned just fine.

I can count on one hand the number of issued magazines that were so poorly made they would not feed with an issued M-16A2. If they are being pushed through an M-4, my bets would go with the magazine being just fine.

The M-4 is a design compromise that walks the edge of reliability.

So please do send me your 'bad' magazines as you see fit. I will certainly put them to use.

Gene
Old 11-21-2006, 22:41   #25
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

KG - I'm with you. I've been numbering/marking my magazines for years. One FTF gets it "serviced", two strikes and it's gone. Sorry GE, if it fails to function in ANY of my weapons, it gets crushed. Mags are cheap, reliability is priceless. Damage to the feed lips or dents in the body just aren't worth messing with. And yes, I have ancient magazines too. I've tried to take care of them, especially when it was hard to get high cap mags. My only concession to upgrades has been to change to the Mag Pull followers. So far, so good. Wish they made them for the 20 rd. mags; I've got some VN era mags with the metal followers that "stick". (I haven't trashed them yet because the bodies are still serviceable and Colt mags for my HP rifles are hard to find at reasonable prices.) My .02 - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 23:09   #26
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
KG - I'm with you. I've been numbering/marking my magazines for years. One FTF gets it "serviced", two strikes and it's gone. Sorry GE, if it fails to function in ANY of my weapons, it gets crushed. Mags are cheap, reliability is priceless. Damage to the feed lips or dents in the body just aren't worth messing with. And yes, I have ancient magazines too. I've tried to take care of them, especially when it was hard to get high cap mags. My only concession to upgrades has been to change to the Mag Pull followers. So far, so good. Wish they made them for the 20 rd. mags; I've got some VN era mags with the metal followers that "stick". (I haven't trashed them yet because the bodies are still serviceable and Colt mags for my HP rifles are hard to find at reasonable prices.) My .02 - Peregrino
Dow Corning "Moly-Cote"

It's a molybdenum disulfide compound that makes mags run slick!!

Try it, you'll like it!!!

Later
Martin
Old 11-22-2006, 19:34   #27
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
One FTF gets it "serviced", two strikes and it's gone. Sorry GE, if it fails to function in ANY of my weapons, it gets crushed. Mags are cheap, reliability is priceless. Damage to the feed lips or dents in the body just aren't worth messing with. And yes, I have ancient magazines too.
Peregrino:

Well, if they didn't function in any of my weapons, I would chuck them as well. No need trying to bend magazine lips, cutting springs, adding springs, or altering followers to get them to work. That is a lesson in frustration. You would think a magazine is simple by looking at them. I tried making a GI issue .45 magazine feed more reliably one time by bending the lips. Man, what a mess! Do one thing and you upset every part in the entire magazine.

I had one of four initial magazines with my T2K fail to feed the third round every single time it was cycled. The bolt wouldn't pick up the third round properly. First, second, forth, and fifth rounds would feed perfectly every time. Just the third round. I even loaded it with ten shots out of curiosity and low and behold, the same thing with the third round. Called McMillan and at first they wanted to argue but they did replace it with one that works perfectly.

I don't mess with them but I must find out why they are failing before I destroy them.

Gene
Old 11-25-2006, 03:26   #28
Robertson
SF Candidate

Hey I've had problems with the same standard magazine a few times, until I became a fan of the black hi-caps that I have now.

I've had two hi-cap magazines for close to 4 years now. Never cleaned them once, just loaded them up with ammo (live/blank) and shoot away. I've used them for weapons qual, Rets, and other types of training using blank ammo. They are pretty dirty and have been well used and still - no malfunctions. I haven't had one jam/misfeed yet. *knock on wood* I'm waiting to see how much longer until they do jam or stop working correctly. I'd have to say that I've fired more than 5,000 rounds through each. The carbon is built up all around the inside of the mag/spring/feed tray.

I'll check my LBE when I get a chance to tell ya'll the brand name.

I'm pretty impressed to be honest.

-Robertson

Because they stand on a Wall and say 'Nothing is going to hurt you tonight. Not on my watch'

-From A Few Good Men[/COLOR]
Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:28   #29
Tubbs
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
As a civilian, that should be plenty for anything but bans preventing future purchases or a zombie invasion.

TR
I thought I was the only person on the site preparing for the fact that might be a real possibility, which I belive it is. Of course I get zombies and liberals confused pretty often...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:56   #30
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson
Hey I've had problems with the same standard magazine a few times, until I became a fan of the black hi-caps that I have now.
On your magazines, are they the H&K steel ones with the black followers? Those are really great Magazines but not cheap.

H.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote