Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 03-07-2012, 17:00   #1
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Bco 1/20th SFG(A), new home

Well a couple days ago it was announced at this years GTMS conference that Alabama is losing an SF company to North Carolina. Since Aco is the favored company in the BN it looks like it will be Bco that will be moving to Albemarle, NC with the UIC being stood up sometime about 01 Oct '13.

With this move, NC will have two SF companies from two different BNs (1st and 3rd BNs) and the team guys that move with the company will then have a state that supports them, unlike Alabama generally.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 19:19   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Are they going to billet near Bragg??

I was thinking Florida should move C/3/20th over by the 7th SFG.

Makes to much sense??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30   #3
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Well a couple days ago it was announced at this years GTMS conference that Alabama is losing an SF company to North Carolina. Since Aco is the favored company in the BN it looks like it will be Bco that will be moving to Albemarle, NC with the UIC being stood up sometime about 01 Oct '13.

With this move, NC will have two SF companies from two different BNs (1st and 3rd BNs) and the team guys that move with the company will then have a state that supports them, unlike Alabama generally.
Times have changed, seems like we endured constant pressure to keep our numbers up or have C-1-20 returned to Decatur, and eventually the guidon went to MA. I would love to know what was bartered to pull this off, but this will be a great loss to the organization and the State of Alabama.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:43   #4
Traweek
Quiet Professional

SGM: "Well, Stop talking about it and do it."

Last edited by Traweek; 04-09-2012 at 13:25.
Traweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:31   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I am hoping the same thing J. After all it is 5-1/2 hours closer to home.

Old 03-09-2012, 18:45   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
Times have changed, seems like we endured constant pressure to keep our numbers up or have C-1-20 returned to Decatur, and eventually the guidon went to MA. I would love to know what was bartered to pull this off, but this will be a great loss to the organization and the State of Alabama.
Not exactly a spur of the moment thing. Wheels set in motion some time ago. The decision on location and exact date of the move was deferred and only finalized recently now that the new Director is on board. When the ARNG grows the GSB within the SFGs it will go to AL (naturally). Same with the GTSC. Not sure what other, non-SOF structure it will get, if anything.

Re stationing of units is an emotional thing; no taking that away. It remains to be seen, however, if it will be a loss to the organization. The ARNG leadership's call is that it will better the organization. NC has filled the SF structure that it has (and then some) and has actively sought more. Now, I guess we'll all see if they can put their money where their mouths are.
Old 03-12-2012, 17:53   #7
hakuda
Asset

Albemarle is close to Charlotte. It is a good armory with alot of excellant operational assets very close by. We sent a couple of guys up to scope it out in early Jan. and it beat out the other locations hands down. With it being on the west side of the state it will be better for giving 5th GP guys a viable option as well as still allowing Bragg guys to stay in state.

In speaking with our CW4 back in RoRap, he said he would be surprised if it wasn't at 90% strength within a year or less. I know myself and our Training NCO that is currently in SFWOC will likely be moving as it is closer to our families. I'm sure IST's, while slow and painful sometimes, will be no issue if someone wants to stay in the unit.

With all that being said, I believe this has been in the works for a while. NC has shown alot of love to our unit and no doubt will extend that same sentiment to the new unit. Our last TAG, LTG Ingram was sold on SF (lots of range time with us might have helped). He left NC and became the Director of the Army National Guard. I would bet that may have had an impact as well.

Last edited by hakuda; 03-12-2012 at 17:55.
hakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 17:58   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

I heard there's a SGM Latuli who might be interested in the ODB SGM slot there...

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 18:31   #9
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I heard there's a SGM Latuli who might be interested in the ODB SGM slot there...

And so it goes...

Richard ]
Not even funny - even in pink font.... .....
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 19:02   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:

And so it goes...

Richard
If only the active duty CoC had taken care of his sorry ass as they should have.

That said, I know of a few others the AD CoC let slide as well.

Crip

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 03-12-2012 at 19:08.
Old 03-12-2012, 19:07   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuda View Post
...In speaking with our CW4 back in RoRap, he said he would be surprised if it wasn't at 90% strength within a year or less. I know myself and our Training NCO that is currently in SFWOC will likely be moving as it is closer to our families. I'm sure IST's, while slow and painful sometimes, will be no issue if someone wants to stay in the unit...
I know a good many guys (probably about 2 ODAs worth) who are going to IST, even though it will be a further drive than just transferring to Aco, just to get out of Alabama. This includes 2 of the current AGR guys and a team sergeant whom many in the BN are hoping makes SGM this year (should happen if the Alabama good-ole-boy network doesn't get in the way and screw him, again.)

We will see what the future holds for the company for sure.

Old 03-12-2012, 19:58   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Ah - Guard politics - I remember seeing that when we were on a tng/eval of the 19th at Camp WG Williams and thinking, "Man, glad I'm active duty."

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 22:17   #13
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Ah - Guard politics - I remember seeing that when we were on a tng/eval of the 19th at Camp WG Williams and thinking, "Man, glad I'm active duty."

And so it goes...

Richard
I used to see it a lot at that same place and with that same unit. It made me glad I was in the USAR... until the lack of some of that 'politicking' helped two USAR SF Groups disappear!
Old 03-14-2012, 21:23   #14
hakuda
Asset

At this point, B-3-20 has been in NC since late '04. We don't have any long tabbers in any positions in Raleigh. That leaves the state good 'ol boy sytem out of play until you want to move out of the SF world. Staying in the unit, it becomes a Group, BN thing.

NC really has treated us well. We have made alot of good solid contacts/friends. We are regularly asked to assist other units with training (mostly BRM) and that serves well for networking and recruiting.

I believe the new unit will fall right in without any problems. As for guys transferring, we have to wait for the MTOE to be published and that should give us the solid number of AGR slots.
hakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:31   #15
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuda View Post
At this point, B-3-20 has been in NC since late '04. We don't have any long tabbers in any positions in Raleigh.
Pls x-splain?

The unit is 8 yo and no-one has completed SFQC???

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote