Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 11-20-2007, 19:55   #271
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

probjm,
That's good stuff. We'll talk about your choice of cars later.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 15:53   #272
probjm
Asset

knifemaker, that was a long time ago, in a Biloxi far, far away. It was, though, a pretty bombproof little car; it always ran rough, but it always ran. And it could almost climb a tree with it's 5:10 rearend!
probjm
probjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 20:08   #273
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by probjm View Post
knifemaker, that was a long time ago, in a Biloxi far, far away. It was, though, a pretty bombproof little car; it always ran rough, but it always ran. And it could almost climb a tree with it's 5:10 rearend!
probjm
With a 5:10 rearend you didn't need no stinkin' clutch cable!
Old 01-12-2008, 19:06   #274
Bill Harsey

Super Glue On Steroids!

Get some "Loctite 380" otherwise known as "Black Max".
This stuff will hold things together.

for example when trying to hold some small complex shaped piece that can't be gripped in the milling machine vise...
Glue the work to the top of the mill vise with some Black Max and make the cuts.
It takes a little heat from the torch to get it free but the stuff is amazing strong and tough.
Old 01-12-2008, 22:11   #275
Razor
Quiet Professional

Is it hard to get metal parts unstuck from fingers, Mr. H?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:22   #276
SilkRider32
Asset

I was eating some hard candy when my molar crown broke out. It broke off nearly flush with the gum. I knew if I went to the denist they would want to cut out the remaining part of the tooth from the jawbone. That would be expensive and not just what I wanted to do. Superglue to the rescue. I took the broke piece of crown and cleaned it good with rubbing alcohol and well as the base in my mouth. Set the hairdryer on low heat and dried out the base. Put on some Superglue on the broke piece and put it back on. I bit down on a plastic stick to apply pressure while it set up. Took a dental pick and removed the excess glue and was good to go. So far it is still holding up.
SilkRider32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55   #277
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkRider32 View Post
I was eating some hard candy when my molar crown broke out. It broke off nearly flush with the gum. I knew if I went to the denist they would want to cut out the remaining part of the tooth from the jawbone. That would be expensive and not just what I wanted to do. Superglue to the rescue. I took the broke piece of crown and cleaned it good with rubbing alcohol and well as the base in my mouth. Set the hairdryer on low heat and dried out the base. Put on some Superglue on the broke piece and put it back on. I bit down on a plastic stick to apply pressure while it set up. Took a dental pick and removed the excess glue and was good to go. So far it is still holding up.
Saca, SACA!

Good that this works for you. Sounds like you did a good job too.

My dentist, nephew of Col. Rex Applegate, who served in Vietnam as a dentist and has been here in my shop (seeing how I tend to do things) made a point of telling me the last time I sat in his work chair to please NOT use super glue on a crown because it was going to be tough to take off if further work was needed.

Hope this keeps working...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57   #278
Retired W4
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Is it hard to get metal parts unstuck from fingers, Mr. H?
I think Bill just uses the torch on his fingers as well.
Retired W4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:14   #279
SilkRider32
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
Saca, SACA!

Good that this works for you. Sounds like you did a good job too.

My dentist, nephew of Col. Rex Applegate, who served in Vietnam as a dentist and has been here in my shop (seeing how I tend to do things) made a point of telling me the last time I sat in his work chair to please NOT use super glue on a crown because it was going to be tough to take off if further work was needed.

Hope this keeps working...
Had the post of the tooth been left I would have gone to the denist to have the crown put back on. In this case it broke off just about flush and it was either that or surgery. I was just trying to avoid the surgery.
Old 01-15-2008, 14:53   #280
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkRider32 View Post
Had the post of the tooth been left I would have gone to the denist to have the crown put back on. In this case it broke off just about flush and it was either that or surgery. I was just trying to avoid the surgery.
That deserves some kind of an award!
Old 01-15-2008, 15:26   #281
Air.177
Quiet Professional

OK, at home do it yourself dentistry is way harder core than I am. I can handle minor surgery, but I draw the line at dentistry.

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 23:34   #282
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
That deserves some kind of an award!
Not so fast my friend...
From reading the post by SilkRider32, it sounds as if there is one VERY important fact about this tooth that should be mentioned.

HIS TOOTH HAD ALREADY RECEIVED ROOT CANAL THERAPY. Therefore, it had no sensory innervation left within the tooth at all. I suspect this because he mentioned that that tooth also had a post in it. We don't/can't put posts in teeth that haven't had root canal therapy. The part left in the mouth has no innervation, so it can't hurt whatsoever. There is almost never pain associated with a tooth break like what is decribed. This little super glue trick works somewhat on teeth like that.... but there will be leakage and the end result is more decay forming down under the gums. This makes for a tougher extraction in the long run. But hey.... you save paying a little now for the benefit of a lot more "fun" later.

On a tooth that has already had a root canal, you are usually much better off just leaving that little sucker alone. It is much easier to keep clean and will NOT hurt. It will not get swallowed or come lose during chewing or sleep. Assuming it could come lose during mastication, it could cause other damage to the surrounding dentition when you bite down on it. Of course, the best reason it leave it out is that the broken off tooth portion can be drilled and placed onto dental floss to make into a nice necklace for ornamental wear.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 01-15-2008 at 23:38.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12   #283
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
Not so fast my friend...
From reading the post by SilkRider32, it sounds as if there is one VERY important fact about this tooth that should be mentioned.

HIS TOOTH HAD ALREADY RECEIVED ROOT CANAL THERAPY. Therefore, it had no sensory innervation left within the tooth at all. I suspect this because he mentioned that that tooth also had a post in it. We don't/can't put posts in teeth that haven't had root canal therapy. The part left in the mouth has no innervation, so it can't hurt whatsoever. There is almost never pain associated with a tooth break like what is decribed. This little super glue trick works somewhat on teeth like that.... but there will be leakage and the end result is more decay forming down under the gums. This makes for a tougher extraction in the long run. But hey.... you save paying a little now for the benefit of a lot more "fun" later.

On a tooth that has already had a root canal, you are usually much better off just leaving that little sucker alone. It is much easier to keep clean and will NOT hurt. It will not get swallowed or come lose during chewing or sleep. Assuming it could come lose during mastication, it could cause other damage to the surrounding dentition when you bite down on it. Of course, the best reason it leave it out is that the broken off tooth portion can be drilled and placed onto dental floss to make into a nice necklace for ornamental wear.
Look at the bright side, Saca - you could die before the remainder of the tooth needs to be dug out, and save yourself the pain as well as the expense.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46   #284
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Combo Tool

I have several physical aliments that limit my flexibility which occassionally requires me to use a cane and need help getting some types of footgear on.I have come up with a simple solution.* I have attached a hook to the cane that allows me to pull boots on that have loops (which is why I still wear my old chippewa's).* It also come in handy for stability when I need it and provides me a little more reach to take out the occassion smart ass by either slashing him or hooking on to him as a little come along
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.jpg (46.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:15   #285
SilkRider32
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
Not so fast my friend...

He is correct there was not any pain involved in it because it had a root canal done on it years before. The post that I mentioned was what was left of the tooth after the denist ground the tooth away so he could mount the crown. It is the post that broke off and the crown came with it and that was what I glued back on. As far as an extraction is concerned, surgery is the only alternative to the situation regardless if I left it off or have it removed. Glueing it back on was best choice in my thought to cover the jagged sharp edges sticking up from the break.

No awards are necessary as this was a simple fix, but thanks for the thought.