Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-06-2010, 20:57   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Sandbag Training

I got a sandbag for Christmas. Looking for new exciting ways to use it. I've got the pdf from powerbag and another one from somewhere else. If anybody has good ideas I'm all ears.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 21:10   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

FULL OF SAND, IN A RUCK, ON YOUR BACK..................MOVE OUT!!!!

(Use caution in areas that have "Man-hole" covers!!)
Old 01-06-2010, 21:13   #3
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
I got a sandbag for Christmas. Looking for new exciting ways to use it. I've got the pdf from powerbag and another one from somewhere else. If anybody has good ideas I'm all ears.
fill it with sand, use it like a medicine ball or a dumbell...?
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 22:37   #4
rwd
Asset

You might e-mail Rob Shaul over at militaryathlete.com

I know his Afghanistan training program uses a lot of #80 sandbag work and his squad PT sessions incorporate a lot of uses for them. He's pretty good about answering e-mails with specific questions as well.
rwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
I got a sandbag for Christmas.
Guess you should have been nicer to Momma last year.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:01   #6
booker
Guerrilla

Zach Even-Esh has some good stuff on sandbag training.

http://zacheven-esh.com/blog/homemade-sandbag-training/

Rob Shaul's stuff is pretty basic movements, mostly turkish get-ups with the 80# bag.
Old 01-07-2010, 17:40   #7
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

This is a crossfit workout I just did the other day with sandbags. Don't carry on your back, carry in front with your biceps and lower back working it. Have Fun with your new bag.

TEAM WOD
(teams of 2) – only one person can be working at one time.

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

200 meter Sandbag Run
20 Push ups (with sandbag on back)

Team CANNOT drop sandbag. If sandbag is dropped, team must complete 10 burpees each. 1 round consists of a 200 m sandbag run and push ups.
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:11   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
FULL OF SAND, IN A RUCK, ON YOUR BACK..................MOVE OUT!!!!

(Use caution in areas that have "Man-hole" covers!!)
Wrong on so many levels
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:10   #9
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Like those injuries?

The label "Guerrilla" doesn't mean destroying yourself physically or even growing body hair...
Oh yeah, NDD I'd use the Sandbag for a gun rest for shooting...

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 01-08-2010 at 00:07.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:55   #10
98G
bonum medicina malis locis

An after workout Sandbag exercise

This works well for me – used it after 2 Nijmegen 100 mile marches and over the past 25 years. It takes about 15 minutes. It is based on a yoga position. It should:
• Relieve tired or cramped legs and feet
• Gently stretch the back legs, front torso, and the back of the neck

Sit sideways against a wall -- as close to the wall as possible. With one smooth movement, swing your legs up onto the wall with your back, shoulders and head resting on the floor.

Rest the sandbag on your feet. Raise your legs straight keeping the sandbag on your feet and hold your legs vertically in place against the wall.

Stay this way anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Be sure not to twist when coming back down.

98G

The two easiest things to spend; someone else's time and someone else's money.
98G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:04   #11
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd View Post
You might e-mail Rob Shaul over at militaryathlete.com

I know his Afghanistan training program uses a lot of #80 sandbag work and his squad PT sessions incorporate a lot of uses for them. He's pretty good about answering e-mails with specific questions as well.
Here is his sandbag video
http://mtnathlete.com/subpage_detail...189&page_ID=25

I word of caution on the wood pellet filling. I bought some last year and move them around from the bag to a pack, to a bucket, etc. They dry out and get dusty. We have had furnace issues due to dust and I suspect it is related to these pellets.

Another idea is little rocks. Sand can be a real mess inside of a basement.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:47   #12
Valentinius
Asset

I would recommend Zach Even-Esh as well. I think he has a 30 day for a dollar trial membership on his site http://www.undergroundstrengthcoach.com/ The membership comes with a sandbag training pdf.

I filled mine with wood pellets too, with no problems as yet. I have also read that you can get 40# bags of rubber bark like they lay in playgrounds at Lowe's or Home Depot. That you don't have to worry about moisture like the pellets, or if you live in a clime where they don't really sell wood pellets. I know I sweat like crazy doing 10 minutes of 80# get ups that Rob Shaul is a fan of. Be sure to Zip-tie that bad boy though...I had mine explode open after dropping it after one of those grueling 10 mins. I'm still finding those little pellets.

Favorite excercise wise, I like adding in rounds of Cleans in after my weekly Front Squats.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53   #13
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

sand bag course

The Complete Sandbag Training Course by Brian Jones. $13.95 at the Iron Mind site. Might be able to find it on www.half.com for less. I have the book and it is certainly complete. I think it's one of those training tools you can do just about anything with ie clean and press, farmers carry, Turkish get ups etc. Let us know what you think about it after you've used it for a while.
Boomer

Last edited by Boomer-61; 01-08-2010 at 07:56.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08   #14
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

This is disturbing..

Always on my soap box, I am constantly at odds with these systems of exercise that require much hard work and deliver minimal at a fairly high risk of injury.
The exercise and conditioning world hasn't changed since the days of the Roman Gladiators. Regardless of who names it or what the new espousals are made. These systems falsely claim greater strength through what ever "new" system is designed. They all will make you stronger if done as prescribed. The risk is alway injury and soreness and honestly, minimal strength gains for the work.
Anyone with a serious desire to be seriously more powerful, and deeply conditioned with tremendous anaerobic and aerobic endurance. At present there is only one "new" system, and that is free to members here and can not be out delivered by any of these thing you post here. It is the Blitz system, and no matter your argument, you cannot disprove this system with the use of any other.
Ok, that's just me getting irritated with all of the less than best systems hype touted as "great" just because they seem and are hard.

YOU Can do no better than Blitzing.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 01-08-2010 at 09:11.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22   #15
MeC86
Guerrilla

www.performancemenu.com has some videos of sandbag training movements. A good source for proper form.
MeC86 is offline   Reply With Quote