Old 10-07-2014, 11:27   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Rem 870 Tactical

Picked up one of these yesterday, always wanted one. When I made the purchase the guy said "It's a great defensive gun." I replied, "I have a Czech German shepherd for defense, this is his backup."
Old 10-07-2014, 12:02   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

You thought about having the Barrel worked over by Hans Vang?? Air.177's Competition Gun can knock down Pepper Poppers with #7.5 or #9 Shot while others have trouble with 00 Buck!!! Makes a WORLD of difference!!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:10   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
You thought about having the Barrel worked over by Hans Vang?? Air.177's Competition Gun can knock down Pepper Poppers with #7.5 or #9 Shot while others have trouble with 00 Buck!!! Makes a WORLD of difference!!
Concur.

Of course, Hans also sells the 870s with all the bells and whistles himself.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:13   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm not into shooting comp guns or pepper poppers. I'm thinking it might be needed for ISIS mooslems and in that case no special chokes or custom gun work will be required........

Besides, if I want to shoot pepper poppers I also own a Remington 1100 Competition Master designed for clubbing pepper poppers like baby seals.......
Old 10-07-2014, 12:26   #5
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

It just gives a MUCH tighter Shot Column!! The "Pepper Poppers" were meerly a gauge of the difference, not that that was what the "Mod" was about!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:28   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It just gives a MUCH tighter Shot Column!! The "Pepper Poppers" were meerly a gauge of the difference, not that that was what the "Mod" was about!!!
Kinds negates the reason for purchasing an 18 inch barrel.....

Like I said it's a backup..... I expect to be very "close" to the action.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:51   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Damn good guns. I prefer Mossberg mostly for the safety position and replaceable ejector (not that I know of any one that broke an ejector on the 870).

For social shotgunning, I highly recommend the 00B from Federal with Flite control. Seriously tight patterns past 25 yards. PFC154 is the product for the full power 2 3/4" shells. They have lower recoil offerings for LE and women with designated LE154.

In patterning, I found that the 3" shell (PFC157) with 12 pellets did not hold nearly as tight of a pattern past 15 yards.

All shots with 18.5" Mossberg 590.:

First is the federal flite-control with shots at 10 and 15 yards on the same target. The 15y is shifted left. All pellets and wad went through the same holes.
The other target is of green box Remington 00B at 15 yards and the shot is spread much farther.

The last picture is the PFC157 at 10y. If you want more of a spread, this may be your ticket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PFC154 15y.jpg (47.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Remington 00B 15y.jpg (36.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PFC157 10y.jpg (35.8 KB, 28 views)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 10-07-2014 at 13:31.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 13:38   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

What the Vang does is extend the range of the weapon.

If you are getting a 30" pattern at 30 yards, which is typical, and missing the target with half of your pellets, the Vang can cut that pattern in half and make it possible to engage threats effectively up to 50 yards.

Inside your house, in will not matter, unless you are trying to hit a small target, or avoid a small target, as in a hostage situation.

I heartily recommend it.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=10131

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-07-2014, 13:54   #9
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

I would contend that it may be true for most buckshot ammo but not those from Federal with the Flite-Control wad.

This is a 25y shot with the PFC157. The target is 6x10 and the hole through the '9' is from a previous shot. So this is <10" pattern through a 18" cylinder bore.

It would be interesting to see this ammo though a Vang Comp barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PFC157 25y.jpg (43.0 KB, 16 views)

Old 10-07-2014, 14:05   #10
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
What the Vang does is extend the range of the weapon.

If you are getting a 30" pattern at 30 yards, which is typical, and missing the target with half of your pellets, the Vang can cut that pattern in half and make it possible to engage threats effectively up to 50 yards.

Inside your house, in will not matter, unless you are trying to hit a small target, or avoid a small target, as in a hostage situation.

I heartily recommend it.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=10131

TR
I'm unfamiliar with the Vang work. Is he setting the gun up for choke tubes, or is he actually rechoking the original barrel?

I'm a big fan of the new choke tube systems.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 14:24   #11
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Hans Vang describes the modification here: LINK

Quote:
The Vang Comp System (VCS), designed by gunsmith Hans J. Vang, is a set of modifications to shotgun barrels. The alterations to the barrel consist of lengthening the forcing cone, back-boring the barrel, and adding compensating ports. With the VCS, accuracy significantly improves, felt recoil is dramatically reduced, and muzzle rise diminishes. By lengthening the forcing cone, the pellets have a smooth flow from the chamber to the bore. This prevents the pellets from bunching up in the barrel and reduces the felt recoil. In addition, the pellets do not become as deformed and keep a more consistent shape.
Quote:
Probably one of the most important and most obvious parts of the VCS are the compensating ports. Some of the gases, created by the burnt powder exiting the muzzle, vent upward through the ports. This redirected gas flow helps prevent the muzzle from rising and allows for both increased accuracy and a more rapid recovery time between shots. Also, the ports reduce muzzle flash, which in turn helps to retain night vision and keep the shooters location less conspicuous in low light conditions.
And patterns are shown and defined here: LINK

In my opinion, Federal has achieved with ammunition design, the kind of pattern that used to be available only through the barrel modifications Hans Vang developed.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 10-07-2014 at 14:35.
Old 10-07-2014, 14:34   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the Vang work. Is he setting the gun up for choke tubes, or is he actually rechoking the original barrel?

I'm a big fan of the new choke tube systems.
Hans does all of the tricks by backboring, lengthening the forcing cone, etc. in a fixed choke barrel.

No choke tubes.

No point in having them in a dedicated defense shotgun optimized for the tightest patterns possible. And with a ported gun, it would be difficult to have removable chokes.

You will find that as with most guns, different loads and brands shoot different patterns, and usually one will be the best/tightest. My experience is that one is usually the most expensive.

He can sell you a barrel, or rework yours (or your entire shotgun).

Let me make a $5 suggestion.

Get a box of buck and pattern your shotgun with its best choke at various distances, including the maximum distance you would be able to engage inside and outside your house and count the holes for yourself. If you aren't keeping most of the pellets on the target, you are missing and should change ammo, and / or barrels.

TR

Old 10-07-2014, 16:28   #13
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Gotta add my agreement and recommendation for Vang Comp. The work Hans does is very impressive. I was skeptical at first but now I am a believer, worth the money IMO. And that's out of an 18" gun.

Other upgrades that I'd recommend that the shooter can do himself are the Oversized safety, extended magazine tube, Aluminum follower and spring, a Mesa tactical side saddle. Add a light if you feel the need for one.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:25   #14
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Picked up one of these yesterday, always wanted one. When I made the purchase the guy said "It's a great defensive gun." I replied, "I have a Czech German shepherd for defense, this is his backup."
Unfortunately you will be dissapointed with the finish. Remington has cut corners to lower or keep low its production cost. With regular use to include competition, I'll be very surprised if you don't see rust marks near the chamber in a few months. Also with hunting and exposure to elements, it sucks even worse. Cerakote probably helps. I now put light coat of oil on mine. I should have gone with a friend recommendation on getting a used remington wingmaster and then convert it to "tactical" version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
In my opinion, Federal has achieved with ammunition design, the kind of pattern that used to be available only through the barrel modifications Hans Vang developed.
Concur. I have the LE variant of Federal flite control and similar offering from Hornady. The caveat is of course they are more $$$, but I opted for change of ammo versus Vang mod. YMMV

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 17:28   #15
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

At the risk of stating the obvious here....the advantage with the Vang Comp mod is that I/you can shoot any make/type of ammo and get very good results. Not everyone can find or afford flight control/LE runs of ammo but you can get the same or close to the same performance when you have a VC mod barrel...at least that has been my experience with my VC modified shotgun shooting everything from cheap wal mart target loads to buckshot and slugs.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote