Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2008, 13:40   #1
ReconRover
Asset

Great EMT course

Took the Wildnerness EMT course at the NOLS HQ in Lander WY. The absolute best course I have ever taken...that includes all tactical classes. The portion of the course is on the Wilderness Medical Insititute curriculum.

Challenging...hell yeah. Head out in -28 weather to head up a mock rescue that runs into the wee hours, get em stabilized, transported...all in waist deep snow, back to the class room...then a 100 question test when your mind is numb.

Each task taught is then immediately practiced outdoors. Rotation at the local hospital ER really brings home the training.

It's a 30 day course, but you walk away with your Wyoming State EMT-B, National EMT registration, and Wilderness Medicine certification. Courses are taught all over the world, and my other team medic went to one in Australia...taught in a cave.

I know there are a lot of courses out there, and that the 18D's rule the roost with their skills, and real world knowledge...but for all others, I'd challenge you to take this course.

Because it's an outdoors based education facility, you do get the "liberal outdoorsy types"...but honestly, getting away from my fellow knuckle draggers was pretty refreshing....and yes, some quiet types teach, and attend the courses.

http://www.nols.edu
ReconRover is offline   Reply With Quote