Old 06-26-2008, 11:21   #1
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Primitive SA

What part of the globe is represented in the attached photo?

What is the type of fauna 'pecked' onto the 'panel' in the photo?

What is the 'panel' in the photo depicting?

How do you, the primitive/modern hunter interpret this 'Panel'

Why would you, the primitive hunter, take the time to involve yourself in the effort of recording what we see in the photo?

On a scale of 1-10, how well does the ACU conceal an individual in all forms of terrain?

GD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4806.jpg (117.1 KB, 250 views)
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Rocky/desert/mountainous. Could be SW US.

Deer family, of some description.

Hunting technique, appears to be an archer and others, shooting and driving deer off trail and over cliff.

Steep inclines may be dangerous, former deer habitat, deer bones/arrowheads may be found at bottom, do not stand underneath while hunting is taking place, I dunno, what more are you looking for?

Good technique, for that location.

Zero, the ACU sucks in almost all types of terrain except draperies and sofas.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40   #3
PSM
Area Commander

From the gait depicted, I'd say Antelope.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

My guess would be Native American petroglyphs, possibly antelope Arizona, Utah, Wyoming area? Looks like the hunter did well and if I knew the cardinal directions of the picture I might guess as to which direction the herd was traveling……..
Old 06-26-2008, 12:02   #5
TheShootist
SF Candidate

I'm going to say the Rocky Mountains- more specifically in the Picketwire Canyon right next to the Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site in CO, or somewhere close to this canyon in the OK panhandle or NE NM.

I'd say pronghorn, with archers and a drive off of the canyon walls.

As a modern hunter, I'd say it looks like a good day's hunt!

Why? No one knows if it is simple as a doodle or if there is a more significant, deeper meaning. I personally believe it to be a bragging board of sorts...
TheShootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:12   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
WAG

1)there are a series of dots
these could be trails, migration paths, or water ways(rivers)
my guess water ways
2)there are small & large deer,,
My guess caraboo(sic) as the racks are irregular and large and there are calves
3) the shooter is at the bottom of the page with the dead behind him
this could mean the shooter is waiting for the herd to cross the "dots"
it also could mean Spring migration because the herd has calves
4)there appears to be a division of work,, some are cutting the kills
so this could be a large tribe with some level of order
5)the guy that took the picture has big feet and wears a European( Dr??) style walking shoe
My guess this is Canada North West

How did I score??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
5)the guy that took the picture has big feet and wears a European( Dr??) style walking shoe
I believe that the pic was taken of the guy in ACUs above, and the "shoe" in question is the back of the ACU wearer's head.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 13:15   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I believe that the pic was taken of the guy in ACUs above, and the "shoe" in question is the back of the ACU wearer's head.

TR

Appended:5)the guy in the picture has large shoulders and wears a size 5 cap??

Proof: ACU's ,, you can't tell which end is up, amazing...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 13:30   #9
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Looks like one of those deer is humping another, just low and right of the archer.

So I'd guess this is a depiction of a "happy hunting ground."
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 14:56   #10
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

What part of the globe is represented in the attached photo?

Very Good, those of you that guessed the SW United States. The location is along the Largo river in NW New Mexico.

What is the type of fauna 'pecked' onto the 'panel' in the photo?

According to the fossile record, the animals most likely pictured in this petroglyph are elk plus a few humans wielding bows with arrows.

What is the 'panel' in the photo depicting?

Upon closer inspection of this panel you will find elk tracks, cows, calves, bulls, and hunters. Kudos to SF11B, there is more than one breeding pair shown on this panel.

How do you, the primitive/modern hunter interpret this 'Panel'

Just south of this panel are gaps in the canyon walls that continue to serve as a path in and out (East to West) of the river bottom for the many elk that inhabit the area. They may recognize their ancestors in the panel.
Most of these petroglyphs are located in areas where there are signs of habitation and hunting camps. Many are located near sources of water and game trails as the one in this thread was.
The really interesting ones are 100ft up the canyon walls.
The authors would stand on ledges that project no more than 12-18 inches.

Why would you, the primitive hunter, take the time to involve yourself in the effort of recording what we see in the photo?

For the same reason PS.com exists.

We enjoy listening to people who have never hunted or lived close to the earth interpret the petroglyphs. Their interpretations tend to be of a spiritual nature with many incomplete ideas. These "mystical" images are often best interpreted by people who have hunted and suffered themselves to the hardships of this area.

I have attached a few of my favorites if anyone is interested.

The hat size is 7.5"

GD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7hunt.jpg (81.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Atlatl.jpg (107.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Slave trade.jpg (91.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Go Devil; 06-28-2008 at 16:44. Reason: spelling
Go Devil is offline   Reply With Quote