Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 03-16-2018, 10:30   #1
cbtengr
Area Commander

NCAA Wrestling

Anybody else out there following this years action? The rounds are being covered pretty good by television this year. Iowa started strong in the first round but not so well in the 2nd. I am gonna pull for Ohio State since it don't look like Iowa is going to win it.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:20   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Anybody else out there following this years action? The rounds are being covered pretty good by television this year. Iowa started strong in the first round but not so well in the 2nd. I am gonna pull for Ohio State since it don't look like Iowa is going to win it.
I was watching it last night, just been real busy, so no time to really keep up with everything this year. I have a kid wrestling at Okie State so I pull for them. He's a redshirt freshman buried in the depth chart so I'm not overly emotionally invested.

Ohio State is going to be tough to beat and then only by Penn State. Those two programs are LOADED.

Looking forward to the Snyder v Coon rematch at Hvywt.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:26   #3
tazaygul
Quiet Professional

HUGE UPSET at 197 when the Kent State kid threw and pinned the #1 seed from Ohio State today. That's going to help PSU keep it close. The Kent State kid wrestled all the way from a pigtail too-pretty impressive!
The coverage has been really good this year. Last night I could have done with a little less of Billy Baldwin screen time and a little more wrestling action...but it's still nice to see it televised.
tazaygul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 14:33   #4
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazaygul View Post
HUGE UPSET at 197 when the Kent State kid threw and pinned the #1 seed from Ohio State today. That's going to help PSU keep it close. The Kent State kid wrestled all the way from a pigtail too-pretty impressive!
The coverage has been really good this year. Last night I could have done with a little less of Billy Baldwin screen time and a little more wrestling action...but it's still nice to see it televised.
The Kent State kid owned that match, he was really pumped afterwards. Agree concerning Billy Baldwin, a quick hey look who is here would have sufficed. I am not even sure what he does other than support wrestling. I think the Ohio State heavy weight will have his hands full if he meets Coon again, he had a hard time at the Big 10 meet handling all that mass. But then again Lou Banach from almost 40 years ago was a 2 time champ from Iowa and he only weighed in around 225 too, what he lacked in size he made up in technique.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:32   #5
tazaygul
Quiet Professional

Synder will definitely have his hands full with Coon; that's his only loss at 16-1 before the tournament started. That will be a good (though boring I bet!) match for sure. My money is on Snyder.

The 125 pound weight class should be pretty epic...my money is on freshman Spencer Lee. He's a PA boy that my dad has been keeping tabs on. 4x undefeated state champ...comes in to the tournament and pins/TFs every kid he wrestles. Suriano, his opponent, hasn't given up a point the whole tournament. I think the OW will be from this weight!

PSU looks like they're gonna win it all again. We'll see what happens in the finals though. Great weekend of wrestling!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:34   #6
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazaygul View Post
Synder will definitely have his hands full with Coon; that's his only loss at 16-1 before the tournament started. That will be a good (though boring I bet!) match for sure. My money is on Snyder.

The 125 pound weight class should be pretty epic...my money is on freshman Spencer Lee. He's a PA boy that my dad has been keeping tabs on. 4x undefeated state champ...comes in to the tournament and pins/TFs every kid he wrestles. Suriano, his opponent, hasn't given up a point the whole tournament. I think the OW will be from this weight!

PSU looks like they're gonna win it all again. We'll see what happens in the finals though. Great weekend of wrestling!
Lee is an incredible wrestler, to TF someone in the first period is an incredible feat, his pin of the Ohio State wrestler in the semis was unreal. The consolations have been pretty good but I think the TV coverage is sub par. Save interviews for after the matches.
Old 03-17-2018, 23:40   #7
tazaygul
Quiet Professional

Well 125 was pretty underwhelming....but glad that Lee won. Potential 4x Champ??

Overall I wasn't as impressed with this year's finals as last year; though last year was probably one of the most exciting in recent history. Bo Nickal definitely pumped that crowd up though and I think was totally worthy of the OW. His interview afterwards was also pretty awesome!

Good tournament, PSU retains their hold over D1 for another year...and return 4 of the finalists.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:04   #8
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Coverage is slowly getting better and better. The next evolution will be to get them to stop talking on and on with the various guests (who often are homers for one of the wrestlers on the mat) and not providing commentary on the match itself. I realize that they are trying to keep things interesting for the non-hard core wrestling fans who might be new to watching, and the people that they have on are usually wrestling legends.. but damn... blah blah blah blah blah. However with that being said.. two thumbs up for at least having commentators who know the sport..which hasn't always been the case!

Now all we need is to keep growing wrestling in the South. Maybe someday we can undo the damage that Title IX did and get D1 wrestling back into some of the SEC / Southern ACC schools.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:59   #9
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Coverage is slowly getting better and better. The next evolution will be to get them to stop talking on and on with the various guests (who often are homers for one of the wrestlers on the mat) and not providing commentary on the match itself. I realize that they are trying to keep things interesting for the non-hard core wrestling fans who might be new to watching, and the people that they have on are usually wrestling legends.. but damn... blah blah blah blah blah. However with that being said.. two thumbs up for at least having commentators who know the sport..which hasn't always been the case!

Now all we need is to keep growing wrestling in the South. Maybe someday we can undo the damage that Title IX did and get D1 wrestling back into some of the SEC / Southern ACC schools.
Perfectly stated, a lot of wrestling was missed while this meaningless jaw jacking was going on, especially during the 3d 5th and 7th place round on Saturday morning. I think the finals were pretty good. PSU pulled it out in a must win situation , it was Ohio States to lose and regretfully they did. I thought there were more deserving wrestlers for the outstanding wrestler award, I would have given it to the heavyweight, 3 time champ, Olympic Gold medalist. But it is what it is.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:24   #10
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I thought there were more deserving wrestlers for the outstanding wrestler award, I would have given it to the heavyweight, 3 time champ, Olympic Gold medalist. But it is what it is.
The wrestling purists will never give OW to a Heavyweight. Never in a million years.

That 197er from Kent State coming in unranked and placing 3rd was pretty damn impressive.