Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 05-06-2010, 09:42   #1
Crue
Asset

US troops march in May Day parade

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...BZ66AD9FHDD703

Foreign troops to join Russia's Victory Day parade
By DAVID NOWAK (AP) – 47 minutes ago

MOSCOW — American, British and French troops are preparing to march across Red Square for the first time on Victory Day, a holiday so crucial to Russia's identity that even parade rehearsals are broadcast live.

By bringing foreign troops to take part in Sunday's annual display of military might, Russia is trying to underline its claim to be the main force behind the defeat of Nazi Germany 65 years ago and to vanquish what it perceives as foreign attempts to diminish the Soviet Union's role in the war.

The move also underlines Russia's keenness to show itself as a confident world power willing to work with the West — although its leaders sometimes have used the day to take sharp slaps at Washington. In 2007, then-President Vladimir Putin obliquely compared U.S. foreign policy to that of the Third Reich.

Victory Day is Russia's most important and emotional secular holiday, commemorating the valor and astonishing suffering of the war, in which more than 26 million Soviets died. Observances are especially elaborate this year and Russians have been inundated for weeks by a campaign to build interest even higher than usual.

Rehearsals for the Red Square parade led some TV news programs, announcements backed by stirring music blared on subways and buses, and ubiquitous banners and billboards proclaimed the holiday.

Russians are highly sensitive to any perceived disrespect to its war actions and suspect the West deliberately gives the country short shrift.

"Everyone is trying to contest the role of the Soviet Union, so I think this is a big breakthrough," a cadet named Dmitry said at a recent ceremony at a military academy.

Foreign troops marching on Red Square "is a sort of recognition of that," he said, asking to withhold his surname because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

But the commander of the 75-man British unit to march in Red Square disputed the perceived disrespect.

"There's always been enormous recognition of the Soviet efforts within the Second World War. No one is under any illusion about the effort the Soviets put in," said Maj. Dai Bevan, commander of No. 2 Company of the Welsh Guards' 1st battalion.

Russia has complained that Estonia's relocation of a monument to the Soviet army from the center of the capital, Tallinn, to its outskirts amounts to promoting fascism.

But Estonia and other nations that fell behind the iron curtain after the war say they were occupied by a totalitarian Soviet regime, so they don't regard the Soviets as liberators.

Analysts say the fanatical Russian celebrations are a sign the country is overcompensating for its relative lack of historical achievements, and that the Kremlin is capitalizing on a rare point of national unity.

"There's no doubt the victory in World War II was the greatest achievement of the Soviet Union," said Masha Lipman of the Carnegie Moscow Center. "On top of that, this is a rare subject that enjoys almost universal consent among the Russian people."

"It can be said that the victory helped shaped the Russian identity as a nation, especially in the absence of other achievements," she said.

Russian liberals, meanwhile, are concerned that national pride is being exploited to rehabilitate the image of Josef Stalin, who as Soviet dictator was commander in chief of the Red Army.

A splinter communist group in St. Petersburg bought advertising space on the outside of a city bus and placed Stalin's image there; it also is putting up Stalin posters throughout the city.

"We decided to do so because the role of Stalin in the victory of the Second World War was undoubtedly great," said group leader Sergei Malinkovich.

"This action is a real insult to the people on the eve of Victory Day," said Maxim Reznik, the head of the city's branch of the liberal Yabloko Party. The bus carrying Stalin's image was vandalized on Wednesday night.

Moscow authorities had planned to put up posters of Stalin during Victory Day. But the idea was criticized by the Kremlin committee organizing the national celebrations and posters so far have been limited to the interiors of some museums.

Sunday's military parade is set to involve more than 10,000 troops from 20 countries and cost 1.2 billion rubles ($40 million). The U.S. unit, from Charlie Company 2/18th Infantry, 170th Brigade Combat Team, has arrived from Germany.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Nicolas Sarkozy, and Chinese President Hu Jintao are among 25 foreign leaders set to attend. The United States is sending Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs William Burns.

The highlight of the parade is a flyover of about 160 planes and helicopters, including Tu-95 "Bear" bombers, and Su-27 fighters. Putin in 2008 restored military hardware to the parade for the first time since 1990.

Crue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43   #2
akv
Area Commander

I choose to view this as twenty years after winning the Cold War, the folks who kept us safe finally get a conquering parade in Red Square.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
I choose to view this as twenty years after winning the Cold War, the folks who kept us safe finally get a conquering parade in Red Square.
Good point! And... they looked damned good doing it, too!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Good point! And... they looked damned good doing it, too!
I second that,they sure did look good on parade.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 18:31   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Don't see (m)any 'Cold Warriors' in that bunch.

However - I never thought such an event would happen in my lifetime, either.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 20:54   #6
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Uniform Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crue View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...BZ66AD9FHDD703

Foreign troops to join Russia's Victory Day parade
By DAVID NOWAK (AP) – 47 minutes ago

MOSCOW — American, British and French troops are preparing to march across Red Square for the first time on Victory Day, a holiday so crucial to Russia's identity that even parade rehearsals are broadcast live.

By bringing foreign troops to take part in Sunday's annual display of military might, Russia is trying to underline its claim to be the main force behind the defeat of Nazi Germany 65 years ago and to vanquish what it perceives as foreign attempts to diminish the Soviet Union's role in the war.

The move also underlines Russia's keenness to show itself as a confident world power willing to work with the West — although its leaders sometimes have used the day to take sharp slaps at Washington. In 2007, then-President Vladimir Putin obliquely compared U.S. foreign policy to that of the Third Reich.

Victory Day is Russia's most important and emotional secular holiday, commemorating the valor and astonishing suffering of the war, in which more than 26 million Soviets died. Observances are especially elaborate this year and Russians have been inundated for weeks by a campaign to build interest even higher than usual.

Rehearsals for the Red Square parade led some TV news programs, announcements backed by stirring music blared on subways and buses, and ubiquitous banners and billboards proclaimed the holiday.

Russians are highly sensitive to any perceived disrespect to its war actions and suspect the West deliberately gives the country short shrift.

"Everyone is trying to contest the role of the Soviet Union, so I think this is a big breakthrough," a cadet named Dmitry said at a recent ceremony at a military academy.

Foreign troops marching on Red Square "is a sort of recognition of that," he said, asking to withhold his surname because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

But the commander of the 75-man British unit to march in Red Square disputed the perceived disrespect.

"There's always been enormous recognition of the Soviet efforts within the Second World War. No one is under any illusion about the effort the Soviets put in," said Maj. Dai Bevan, commander of No. 2 Company of the Welsh Guards' 1st battalion.

Russia has complained that Estonia's relocation of a monument to the Soviet army from the center of the capital, Tallinn, to its outskirts amounts to promoting fascism.

But Estonia and other nations that fell behind the iron curtain after the war say they were occupied by a totalitarian Soviet regime, so they don't regard the Soviets as liberators.

Analysts say the fanatical Russian celebrations are a sign the country is overcompensating for its relative lack of historical achievements, and that the Kremlin is capitalizing on a rare point of national unity.

"There's no doubt the victory in World War II was the greatest achievement of the Soviet Union," said Masha Lipman of the Carnegie Moscow Center. "On top of that, this is a rare subject that enjoys almost universal consent among the Russian people."

"It can be said that the victory helped shaped the Russian identity as a nation, especially in the absence of other achievements," she said.

Russian liberals, meanwhile, are concerned that national pride is being exploited to rehabilitate the image of Josef Stalin, who as Soviet dictator was commander in chief of the Red Army.

A splinter communist group in St. Petersburg bought advertising space on the outside of a city bus and placed Stalin's image there; it also is putting up Stalin posters throughout the city.

"We decided to do so because the role of Stalin in the victory of the Second World War was undoubtedly great," said group leader Sergei Malinkovich.

"This action is a real insult to the people on the eve of Victory Day," said Maxim Reznik, the head of the city's branch of the liberal Yabloko Party. The bus carrying Stalin's image was vandalized on Wednesday night.

Moscow authorities had planned to put up posters of Stalin during Victory Day. But the idea was criticized by the Kremlin committee organizing the national celebrations and posters so far have been limited to the interiors of some museums.

Sunday's military parade is set to involve more than 10,000 troops from 20 countries and cost 1.2 billion rubles ($40 million). The U.S. unit, from Charlie Company 2/18th Infantry, 170th Brigade Combat Team, has arrived from Germany.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Nicolas Sarkozy, and Chinese President Hu Jintao are among 25 foreign leaders set to attend. The United States is sending Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs William Burns.

The highlight of the parade is a flyover of about 160 planes and helicopters, including Tu-95 "Bear" bombers, and Su-27 fighters. Putin in 2008 restored military hardware to the parade for the first time since 1990.

Dress blues tennis shoes and Chinese Black beret? Am I seeing things?
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 23:32   #7
SF18C
Quiet Professional

I guess this is better than having the Red Army march around DC on the 4th of July!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:08   #8
Stras
Quiet Professional

Someone once said "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer"

I'd rather march in Moscow than have them here in the US or Western Europe.

I love the Cold War victory parade idea. There may be a couple of Cold War Vets in the unit, the Wall came down in 1989, and I believe the end date for the Cold War was about 1993ish.

De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by Stras; 05-07-2010 at 05:10.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:31   #9
Crue
Asset

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/05/07...ory-in-moscow/

HEIDELBERG, Germany -- Soldiers of U.S. Army Europe's 170th Infantry Brigade Combat Team will march into history during Russia's 65th Victory Day parade in Moscow, May 9.

USAREUR historians said the event marks the first time a serving, active-duty U.S. Army unit, carrying the American flag and representing the United States, will march in the parade.

The 75 Soldiers from Company C, 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, based in Baumholder, Germany, will join military units from Russia, Great Britain, France, Poland and member nations of the Commonwealth of Independent States in the historic march through Moscow's Red Square. Company C took its place in the estimated 11,000-Soldier formation Tuesday night as part of the first dress rehearsal march.

A 45-piece band from U.S. Naval Forces Europe will also take part in Victory Day commemorative events.
The parade, which commemorates the 65th anniversary of the allies' victory over the Axis powers during World War II, is being called the largest since 1945.

More than 150 armored vehicles -- including historic Soviet T-34 tanks -- are also part of the event. The Russian air force will fly over Moscow with more than 127 combat aircraft.

In a letter to U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Russia's Minister of Defense, Anatoly Serdyukov, invited the United States military to take part in the parade.

"The participation of military units of the states of the anti-Hitler coalition in this event in Moscow will testify to the readiness to develop the relations between armed forces of our countries," Serdyukov wrote. He said the event is a symbol of a new partnership ready to take on new challenges and confront new threats, particularly the fight against international terrorism.

"We got a good company and we're ready to go to Russia," said Capt. Matthew Strand, C Company commander. "We're very excited. We have been working a lot during our gunnery during the last 30 days and we're ready to go to Moscow."

Strand said the company found time for drill and ceremony training during its gunnery and unit training at Grafenwöhr and Hohenfels, Germany in April. The company practiced marching and helped Soldiers obtain and tailor the Army dress blue uniforms the 75 troops will wear in the parade.

Strand said he hopes his Soldiers understand that they are part of a larger mission and that they are joining a formation of allied Soldiers to share in the victory in World War II and honor the sacrifices of all Soldiers and civilians during the conflict.

Maj. Alexander Peteryaev, a platoon leader in the Soviet Red Army, was killed in action near Smolensk in 1943. Today his grandson, 1st Lt. Ilya Ivanov, is the Company C executive officer.

Ivanov now calls Kima, Texas, his hometown. But he said the parade is a return to "familiar stomping grounds." The lieutenant emigrated with his family from Vladivostok, on Russia's far eastern coast between China and Japan, in 1996.

"This is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to wear this American uniform in Red Square and be a part of an event that commemorates and remembers the sacrifices of the Allies as we fought against the Nazi tyranny," he said.
Spc. Robert Ervin, an infantryman from Clarksville, Tenn., said his wife was concerned when he told her about the mission.

"She did not understand that Russia invited us," he said. "A lot of people are still in the dark about the relationship between our two countries. This is an experience that will bring us closer together.

"She feels alright about it now," he added. "She's excited to see her husband be part of this."

The infantryman said he plans to talk about music, food and free time activities with his Russian army counterparts.

Along with his uniforms, Ervin said he is carrying eight 1st Armored Division uniform patches, about a dozen 170th Infantry Brigade unit patches and an assortment of rank insignia that he is hoping to trade for the Russian versions.

"I will remember my first step into Red Square and knowing that I am one of the first 75 Americans taking that first step," he said. "This is the first time that Americans get to step on Russian soil for a Victory Day parade. This event may help us bond together with better understanding between our two peoples."

And to facilitate that bonding, Ervin said, he has trained himself beyond drill and ceremony practice.
"I am trying to learn basic greetings so I can prove myself a good guest," he said.

Ivanov said he has also been teaching his Soldiers about the country's history and sacrifice during World War II, known as the Great Patriotic War by Russians.

"They understand the magnitude and they see it from the Russian perspective better than they did a few weeks ago," Ivanov said.

Between rehearsals, the C Company Soldiers will get a look at Russian culture during visits to important sites such as Moscow's art galleries, the Kremlin, St. Basil's Cathedral, a circus, and Lenin's tomb, he said.

"I hope they see a different side of Russia than they may have heard about from the scary stories from the Cold War era," Ivanov said. "The Russian people are open to friendship. They will see them as people and not as history told them they are."
Crue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:04   #10
LarryW
Area Commander

http://pbma.grobbel.org/

Quote:
The "Detroit's Own" Polar Bear Memorial Association is dedicated to honoring and maintaining the memory of the 339th Infantry Regiment, the 1st Battalion of the 310th Engineers, the 337th Ambulance Co. and the 337th Field Hospital of the U.S. Army's 85th Division. These men, officially designated the American North Russian Expeditionary Force and also known as "Detroit's Own" and "Polar Bears", were sent by President Wilson to North Russia where they fought the Bolshevik Red Army from September 1918 through June 1919.
Not part of the May Day Parade but I hope no one had to pay for vodka, and that someone made it up to Archangel to honor the dead buried there.

An obscure point.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote