Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 10-07-2019, 08:51   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares operation

Splain this to me, Lucy??

This does not sound like a good deal for our allies, the Kurds??

Quote:

US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares operation

American troops 'will no longer be in the immediate area' casting uncertainty on the fate of their Kurdish allies.

US troops began withdrawing from northeast Syria ahead of a Turkish invasion that Kurdish fighters say will overturn the victory over the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS) armed group.

Washington's forces "will not support or be involved in the [Turkish] operation" and "will no longer be in the immediate area", White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said in a statement.

It was not clear whether that meant the United States would withdraw its 1,000 or so troops completely from northern Syria.

"Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into northern Syria," said the statement.

A US official told Reuters news agency US forces had on Monday evacuated two observation posts at Tel Abyad and Ras al Ain in northeast Syria, along the Turkish border. Other US troops in the region were still in position for now, the official said.

The withdrawal marks a major shift in US policy and effectively abandons a US ally in the battle against ISIL, which took over swathes of Syria before being defeated a year ago.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...034354242.html
“Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:08   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Both Turkey and the US are NATO "Allies".

Who does the rest of NATO side with if we get in a dust up?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:23   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Both Turkey and the US are NATO "Allies".

Who does the rest of NATO side with if we get in a dust up?
A conundrum of biblical proportions

and then add in the Christian Yazidi Genocide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoci...azidis_by_ISIL

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 10-07-2019 at 09:30.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:32   #4
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

I'm afraid this is an example of a relationship (e.g. Kurds) our military has nurtured and continues to value that is not shared by the public (translated into political will), mostly because they're not well informed. Politicians who don't heed military advice may gain in the short term, but perhaps regret it later.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:36   #5
bubba
Quiet Professional

The Kurds are our partner force, not our allies. The Turks, whether we like it or not, are our NATO Allies. On top of all of that, those ISIS prisoners are a problem best left to be dealt with by an entity in that region who knows what and how to do what needs done.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:48   #6
EricV
Guerrilla

Problem from day one as I see it, is that supporting the Kurds meant indirectly supporting/making a Kurd nation. Wouldn't that require parts of Iran, Iraq, and Turkey?? Lotsa bad feeling doing that. It would be land locked.
Old 10-07-2019, 13:42   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
Problem from day one as I see it, is that supporting the Kurds meant indirectly supporting/making a Kurd nation. Wouldn't that require parts of Iran, Iraq, and Turkey?? Lotsa bad feeling doing that. It would be land locked.
Yes - but even if it was only formed from one of the countries none of the others would agree. It would give the Kurds a secure place to launch activities from into the other regions.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 13:59   #8
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Yes - but even if it was only formed from one of the countries none of the others would agree. It would give the Kurds a secure place to launch activities from into the other regions.
Would it also force Iran and Iraq to divide their attentions between the new nation and Israel? If this were to occur, what would be the likelihood of an alliance between the Kurdish nation and Israel?
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 15:25   #9
EricV
Guerrilla

Quote:
Concur. Getting involved in the Balkans might be simpler. Feel for the Kurds though.
Old 10-07-2019, 23:10   #10
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
Concur. Getting involved in the Balkans might be simpler. Feel for the Kurds though.
We can blame the Kurds not having a recognized homeland on the League of Nations and the arbitrary new nations they divided up without an in depth understanding of the groups within the borders who were ignored....Africa has the same issues with their ethic groups who are transient and ungovernable...only those placed in power and the rest of the worlds governments recognize the borders but all the minority groups are left to fend for themselves the Assyrians the Chaldeans the Kurds the Toauregs etc.....are all left flapping. The thing frustrating about our involvement with the Kurds is our government used them and we the U.S. soldiers were the ones telling them we had their back selling it like Amway ignoring the reality of we were going to leave them behind and our promises that emboldened them to action were empty. I understand the Kurds in Iraq are living in their homelands which expands into Iran, Turkey, Azerbeijan? etc....but they are hardheaded when it comes to even discussing moving to either country where the Kurds number 30-40 million where they have safety in numbers unlike Iraq where there are only 5 million or so. We better understand the emptiness of our governments promises but the people we promise live and die by it.

As far as taking land and giving it to the Kurds Iraq is he only nation weak enough and new enough to do it in but today Iraq is a proxy Iranian government

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 10-09-2019 at 08:34.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:08   #11
bubba
Quiet Professional

This is a re-post of mine I left on a friend’s FB account.

I’m so sick and f’n tired of hearing “those poor Kurds”..... They are COMMUNISTS and are NOT our allies. As much as I don’t like a lot of what the Turks are doing / have done, they ARE our Allies. On top of all of that, in one fail swoop, POTUS just helped cut the land bridge with LH and Iran, forced the Turks to deal with the ISIL issue they helped to create in Syria, and forced Russia to think through their involvement in the region due to the real threat of a NATO Allied country of Turkey (a known wild card) acting in the region. So yeah, Win, Win, Win. And ohh yeah, I‘m really tired of seeing my Brothers get maimed and killed in a messy and often times pointless endeavor.

Bottom-line: Never fall in love with your Indig, they are not the mission, but simply a tool to accomplish it. Any GB who doesn’t understand that we are making Tactical decisions to influence the Operational Environment in support of the Strategic Goals set by National Policy needs to go back to the line unit from which he came and pull gate guard.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me

Last edited by bubba; 10-08-2019 at 05:10.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:15   #12
EricV
Guerrilla

Another thought. How well has the suppression of the Kurds inside Turkey gone?? Does letting the turks into Syria just bleed out the Turks??
Old 10-08-2019, 08:03   #13
bushmaster11
Guerrilla

View of being Allied with US

In the course of history, The US has been a staunch ally.As an older SF, I remember Viet Nam and our montagnard partners. We, the entire 5th Group benefited from the total support from each tribe. We knew it was wrong and tried to make it right in our own way. The Kurds are no different. They are a minority who just want to be left alone. We armed them, trained them and led them then our government betrayed them. Like 45 years ago, we bailed on them. No, the SF community did not bail, but the United States did led by a corrupt leader with power to spare. How can a Secretary of State, a West Point graduate break their code - "I will not lie, cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do"
bushmaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:27   #14
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

“America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests”

Henry Kissinger
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31   #15
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Bubba is 100% correct on this. While it does suck for the Kurds ‘again’ it sucks less than the contemptuous media and “current and former” military leaders condemning the President who ‘IS NOT MAKING THIS DECISION ON HIS OWN’ and has been briefed by current and present experts who don’t rely on “feelings” to make foreign policy decisions from people like John Bolten.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote