Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 06-15-2011, 08:21   #1
caveman
Guerrilla

The President's Match

An interesting read:

A Short History of The President's Match and The President's 100
Old 06-15-2011, 20:25   #2
MK262MOD1
Quiet Professional

Hap is a great guy. I have shot with him and his brother a few times. His writing on the national matches(high power and small bore are classics) He also has a history of the distinguished program out there.

His writings are well researched and very interesting.

MK262M1 sends
MK262MOD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 20:36   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Good read, some familiar names there.

Thanks!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 14:11   #4
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Sydney Hines

I was stationed at HQ TASCOM with LTC Sydney Hines (SF), who was a President's 100 shooter with both pistol & rifle.. His Father Colonel Sydney Hines, SR was also President's 100 with both pistol & rifle.

After getting out of the Army and entering Law Enforcement I had the pleasure of working with Monterey County Sheriffs Office Detective Paul Keene who was a President's 100 with the pistol. Paul and I produced a seminar which featured Marine Gunnery Carlos Hathcock, who won the Camp Perry Shooting championship!
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14   #5
MK262MOD1
Quiet Professional

For those interested. Hap has finished a history of the Rattle Battle as well. I have a copy but cant attach it.

My understanding is it is also available here... http://www.theblindhogs.com/frmh.htm

If the link is broke please tell me and I will remove it and try to get a copy attached.
MK262MOD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

ah, the good 'ol blind hogs! The folks I'm always thankful for for showing me that shooting is not a spectator sport
Glad to hear they are doing well in 2001 match. We/them jewjuns sure know how to shoot

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:04   #7
frostfire
Area Commander

Happy thoughts of the day

After years of painstaking effort, $$$, tendonitis, arthritis, tenosynovitis, sweat and literal blood (got to keep that extra high grip on M9 for one hand recoil management. Getting the thumb pip shaved off is part of the fun), I finally earned the long(est) tab. The good Lord granted just enough light, wind, muscle tension, and presence of mind.

Came real close for past several times, but apparently the good Lord does not want me to just barely make it, but actually master the craft and end up in top 20%. If you told me years ago or even a year ago I could sling 5 rounds in a row to < 2 inches at 50 yards standing one handed unsupported I would not have believed you.

It all started with TS' hole-in-hole standard over a decade ago and that sets this obsessive pursuit of surgical marksmanship. I have learned so much from the practitioners here, so thank you TS, TR, Peregrino, NDD, Snaquebite, master Rick, master Gene Econ for showing me that it does not need to be easy, just possible.

Was surprised to see folks from division, SF, and SMU at Perry. One memorable comment went like this:
Before the national matches: Yeah bro, we perform better under pressure (I had no reason to doubt him. He's 3 gun champion, destroyed All Army, and overall better lead slinger, on and off competition)
After the national matches: I QUIT! F@@k THIS S***T!
That was hilarious as hell. I hope I get to do knowledge dump before their 2nd attempt.

I've saved this joke for many years....without further due...
my tab is longer than y..
ok, I'll show myself to the door now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p100.JPG (74.7 KB, 107 views)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 09-04-2017 at 09:59.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:45   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulation,, Well Done..

For those that are curious..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P100_req.jpg (112.2 KB, 102 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P-100_Long_Tab.pdf (313.8 KB, 26 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:09   #9
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Congrats .. Well done.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:21   #10
Joker
Quiet Professional

You're half way there. Now go get the one for the rifle!
Good job.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:04   #11
cbtengr
Area Commander

Congrats to you frostfire !
Old 07-04-2017, 10:53   #12
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Congratulations to you sir! I have only ever met one man who wore that tab. He was my sniper squad leader in Korea....came from AMU and went back to AMU after the tour.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 14:11   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Congratulations!

Well deserved.

It has indeed been a long road.

I imagine wearing that around the hospital will get you some looks.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 15:09   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Well done.

A few years in the service I wanted to try out but could never get there, was always something going on during that time period.

Given the time and opportunity SF would be a large part of that "list" I'm sure. Hell in the ole days our guys are "lucky" to get the time and command sponsorship to attend the annual snipers comps.

Again, well done.
Old 07-04-2017, 17:42   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

Well done! Let's be honest, though--you pulled a shot or two in past competitions, waiting until you could get the right guy to sign your letter.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote