Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 04-12-2005, 05:35   #1
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Islam gets a foothold in Vermont

Snipped from today's Times Argus, Montpelier, Vermont:

It's still too soon to know when, or even if, the Meskhetian Turks will resettle, Blake said, but her organization is readying for the possible arrival of several families.

"This is a group that was selected by the State Department for resettlement," Blake said. "What we expect are probably less than 10 families."

The influx of non-English-speaking children and adults would bring a host of logistical challenges. Robert McNamara, superintendent of the Washington West Supervisory Union, said school districts that serve Waterbury students are preparing for the refugees' arrival.

"Because we don't have a large population of (English-as-a-second-language students), the main thing for us is trying to be aware of that we will have to get staffing to provide ESL services for these kids," McNamara said. "It's just a lot of questions right now. It all depends on the number of students and their age levels. They're going to need pretty intensive services from what we've heard, because they speak little if any English."

Only would the idiots in this state create a non-english speaking, muslim enclave, with no visible means of support and with a burning desire to regain their identity as a people and nation in the center of this state. What an opportunity to create cells all over this country. Vermonters as a group as suspicious of anyone not born in the state, I can just imagine just how well these folks will be assimilated into society up here. Now when the next bunch of muslim extremists want to come down from Canada they will have a MSS.

Jack Moroney-bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses and I will organize, train, and lead them against you
Old 04-12-2005, 07:35   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Whew, glad to see that you have not converted, Jefe.

With a plan like this, you just had to know Ole' Bob McNamara would be involved.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18   #3
Razor
Quiet Professional

COL M, just have your city officials take a trip up to Lewiston, ME and ask them how well the mass Somali immigration there went. I'm sure they'll be very happy to tell you what a glowing success it was.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43   #4
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Have the Sudanese in Winooski gotten restless since their resettlement? If the Turks get froggy, you could pit them against the Sudanese.
Who have dared for a high cause to suffer, resist, fight—if need be, to die.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:47   #5
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
COL M, just have your city officials take a trip up to Lewiston, ME and ask them how well the mass Somali immigration there went. I'm sure they'll be very happy to tell you what a glowing success it was.
We also have our contingent of "lost boys". Vermont claims that it is striving for "diversity". Evidently some are embarrassed that VT is the second "whitest" state in the union. Doesn't matter that folks can't afford to come here regardless of ethnicity. Sort of like school busing and we all know how that turned out.

BUT IT GETS EVEN BETTER: I am now more convinced more than ever that VT is truly linked to Oregon. Tonight, in a meeting at the statehouse that has been not publized, a bunch of doctor assisted suicide activists from Oregon are helping the VT legislature draft a similar bill for this state.

Jack Moroney-convinced that the northwest passage really exists as a revolving conveyor belt between Oregon and Vermont: the migration route of idiots.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:42   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I don't know, Sir.

Seems like an excellent opportunity for an enterprising SF soldier with time on his hands to either start a holy war between factions, or become a warlord and make the libs sorry they ever had this idea.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 04-12-2005, 11:46   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I don't know, Sir.

Seems like an excellent opportunity for an enterprising SF soldier with time on his hands to either start a holy war between factions, or become a warlord and make the libs sorry they ever had this idea.

TR
LOL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 14:10   #8
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

My wife heard me laughing at TR's comments and then yelled at the computer, "Damn don't give him any encouragement he's already stirring up crap with the local talk shows"
Old 04-15-2005, 18:40   #9
504PIR
Guerrilla

You know being a warlord would have some perks...such as:

Cut down on trespassers on your property
No problem gettin a parking spot in any town your band is terrorizing
many more...

Just something to think about.
504PIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 20:26   #10
Airbornelawyer

Do any of you actually know anything about Meshketian Turks, or do you just hear "they are Muslim" and insert "they must be extremist terrorists or their supporters"?

Of course, the rapid left-wingers probably like the symmetry of this. After all, the Meshketian population was originally deported to Central Asia by Stalin because, like many other Caucasians, a number of them had joined the Wehrmacht as Hiwis. They helped Hitler, and Bush=Hitler, so its only natural the US would resettle them.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 21:27   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

What I hear is that we are bringing another group of people with needs, wants, and problems to this country.

It occurs to me that we have plenty of those commodities from people who found their own way here.

At the risk of sounding callous, is there such a shortage that we need to import the oppressed here at our own expense now? Other than "diversity", what do these people bring to America? Are we filling an Ark here?

Please elaborate on the benefits this group of disenfranchised people bring.

TR

Old 04-16-2005, 05:13   #12
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer
Do any of you actually know anything about Meshketian Turks, or do you just hear "they are Muslim" and insert "they must be extremist terrorists or their supporters"?

Of course, the rapid left-wingers probably like the symmetry of this. After all, the Meshketian population was originally deported to Central Asia by Stalin because, like many other Caucasians, a number of them had joined the Wehrmacht as Hiwis. They helped Hitler, and Bush=Hitler, so its only natural the US would resettle them.
Yes I do know quite a bit about the Meshketian Turks and my point was tongue in cheek about the formation of an active muslim cell in Vermont based on the fact that these particular families are muslim. My point was that Vermont in particular does not assimilate any group into this state. Folks that were not born here are always outsiders and I am not talking about aliens but US citizens without a Vermont birth certificate. If you are going to bring a group of families into this country and hope to enable them to be assimilated into this country as solid citizens you have to provide the environment to do it. You just do not plop them down in the middle of the Green Mountains without any infrastructure to support their needs and make them part of the community/culture. That is not going to happen here. While I do not expect that these folks to come in here with a terrorist game plan I do expect those cells that are in the proximity to see this as an opportunity to exploist this target audience as at least unwitting accomplices to their cause. They have something in common with the Meshketians while no one else in this state does. Vermonters are naive to most things that occur outside the borders of this state unless it has to do with things like deer wasting disease. So to answer your question, NO I did not "hear they are Muslim" and that they "must be terrorists or their supporters". I might have been born at night counsellor but I was not born last night. So if that makes you get over it, because that was not my intention. But then, perhaps, I need to pick my words a little more carefully.

Jack Moroney
Old 04-16-2005, 09:15   #13
Doc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer
Nope, we're all dumbasses, racists and homophobes.

I spent a large portion of my adult life helping the oppressed around the world as did many here. You can't do that type of work day in and day out for years without having a genuine affection for the people you're working with regardless of their race, religion or skin color.

If you can't see the problems generated by the above solution in Vermont then I would suggest you sponsor a family and experience first hand the situation and the problems it entails. Too many people write checks they can't cash in an effort to feel good about themselves and leave the details for others to work out.

I thought TR's and Jack's comments were funny as hell.

Please elaborate on how we should handle this situation.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32   #14
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb

"Common sense ain't all that COMMON"...

"Education and research is only GOOD until a fucker shoots at you"...

"I ain't never seen or heard of a religion, that advocates flying a plane into a building...MUSLIMS are the only ones that have ever did it"!

Stay safe!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43   #15
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
"Common sense ain't all that COMMON"...

"Education and research is only GOOD until a fucker shoots at you"...

"I ain't never seen or heard of a religion, that advocates flying a plane into a building...MUSLIMS are the only ones that have ever did it"!

Stay safe!
Based on comments in other threads as well as this, I'm trying to figure out if this was directed at me. Are you assuming that I'm just some pussy intellectual who has all my knowledge from books? Fuckers have shot at me, and I have a scar a few millimeters from my eye socket to remind me that if I had turned a fraction of a second later, I'd be blind in one eye or worse. I've seen more people die and I've filled more body bags than I than I care to remember, including, by the way, those resulting from fuckers flying a plane into a building (actually two buildings).

And Doc, TR, Colonel: with all due respect, this thread was posted in the "Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare" forum and titled "Islam gets a foothold in Vermont". It is somewhat disingenuous to say that it was merely about the problems of assimilating an immigrant/refugee population. And American history is full of refugees coming here to escape persecution in their homelands, from Huguenots to Hmongs, and including many of my own ancestors. I personally helped Afghan refugees resettled here in the 1980s.

But by the way, I actually agree it is not necessarily a good idea to settle the Meshketians here (especially in a place like Vermont without the culture or infrastructure for assimilating, as Col M notes). Unlike, for example, the Hmongs, Afghans from the 1980s or Iraqis forced to flee northern Iraq in the late 1990s, the United States has no direct connection with or obligation to the Meshketians. As a country built by immigrants and refugees, we should afford them or any others the opportunity to legally immigrate, assimilate and become part of the American way, but I don't think taxpayer money should be expended to subsidize them (although it should be noted that unlike "regular" immigrants, refugees admitted under the Refugee Resettlement Program get off the dole relatively rapidly - their overall employment levels reach the national average within a few years of arriving).

The problem with immigration in this country is not the immigrants, whatever religion they happen to profess or whatever race or color they are different from their neighbors. It is the the PC left's hostility to assimilating immigrants (on even something as basic as learning English) and the left's desire to keep immigrants on the welfare dole to keep their welfare bureaucracy's power. And Colonel, I'm sure you know better than all of us how entrenched that PC leftist clique is Vermont.

If this thread had gone into Lounge Discussions and been about that immigration/assimilation issue, we could have had a good discussion without Islamist terrorism being relevant. It would not have been much of a debate, I suppose, though, since most of us seem to agree on the immigration/assimilation issue.

But regarding the potential for terrorist recruiting, consider this: if the Meshketians, or any Muslim refugees, were resettled in a place more hospitable to immigrants than Vermont, like, say, Northern Virginia or New York City, would they assimilate more or less rapidly? I live now in New York City, and I see an infrastructure that keeps refugees from assimilating. My Russian Jewish immigrant ex-girlfriend had a great deal of difficulty with English and with working in a Manhattan law firm because she spent almost all of her free time with a Russian-speaking clique in Little Odessa in Brooklyn. And would these unassimilated Muslims be a better target for Islamist terrorist recruitment in these "immigrant-friendly" climates? The terrorist cell infrastructure (like the organized crime infrastructure) thrives better in these larger, yet insular, communities. It is probably much easier for Islamists to recruit here where you have people who from mosque to work to school can cocoon themselves in their little world.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote