Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-30-2007, 10:14   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Well...mine has been sitting in the sunlight for daylight hours of 2 days now....still shows only a medium charge.

Me thinks I got a bad apple...

Eagle
Doc,

I've had the same G-Shock for about 7 years, battery is fine.

Unless you're fixin to become stranded on a deserted island don't worry about batteries in watches. Get rid of the solar watch. TS
Old 01-30-2007, 16:56   #17
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

What, no self winding watch?? Wouldn't that make more sense than a battery watch?
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 00:28   #18
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon
What, no self winding watch?? Wouldn't that make more sense than a battery watch?
Good point-guys used "regular" watches for YEARS...some still do! A couple of things to consider with most self winding watches on the market today...
-FEW are shock resistant...until you get into the thousands of dollars for quality Swiss timepieces. Standard watches aren't made to be beat up with many of the riggors of training and actual combat. The watch hands get knocked off the post rather routinely in previous Casios and Timexs I have owned. One or two good bumps are OK....a hundred is a bit much to ask for $30.
-concussion / shock waves from explosions can alter the self winding mechanism in watches that have "less than quality" watch innerds. The cog latchkeep junction can be momentarily stretched / deformed and slow the watch's movement so it no longer keeps accurate time. This is one reason that self winding aerospace watches like Omega and Breitling have patented mechanisms and cost thousands of dollars. They work irrespective of both absolute gravity and g-forces on the timepiece. Not to mention all those fancy numbers printed around the inner bezel .
-missing the conveniences: countdown timers and chronographs on non digital watches are difficult to both see and operate. It is much more convenient to be able to see a large number display than it is to count the number of times the little hand went around while waiting for something to go boom.
-cost: Much rather forever lose a $30-$100 digital than a $300 (basic Seiko)-$5000 (basic Rolex) self winding quality timepiece.

This is pretty much the extent of my basic research-so if you need anymore info-I would have to defer to someone smart like TS or TR

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 14:18   #19
chuterigger
BANNED USER

Eagle5,

You may have a bad watch, my G solar works fine, even when stowed away for awile.

Is it still under warrantee? If so you may want to send it back while you can. Electronic shit don't get better!

My biggest gripe is the damn 16mm band, as you can't mount a good (zulu) band on it.
chuterigger is offline   Reply With Quote