Old 07-08-2018, 13:19   #1
PRB
Quiet Professional

M39 Mosin Nagant

Fired a scoped Mosin the other day and really liked it so am looking for a Finnish model M39....I see them on Gunbrokers in the 400-600 buck range in VG condition (matching bolts/receivers) with excellent bores/rifling.

Anyone know of a different reliable source....with the 'millions' in circulation didn't know they would be in that price range?

Will scope it myself.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:56   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Nice shooter. Got all three, long, middle and short. The shorty kicks like a mule.

Unless modified they come with a straight bolt. You going to turn it down for the scope?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:06   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Nice shooter. Got all three, long, middle and short. The shorty kicks like a mule.

Unless modified they come with a straight bolt. You going to turn it down for the scope?
Nope...just move the scope forward...I've always been partial to T bolts anyways..had a Mauser like that as a kid.
Bought at Sears and Roebuck when 16 w/200 rounds type K armor piercing ammo. They and I had no idea...could shoot thru telephone poles. Think I paid about 26 bucks for the rifle.
Old 07-08-2018, 23:19   #4
mojaveman
Area Commander

Bought a nice Finnish Mosin from an old lady at work a few months ago for $200 and it was pretty nice. Her husband passed away and it was sitting in her closet. Shot it a few times and then sold it for $300. I've had a Russian Mosin too but the Finnish ones are considerably better.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

My long one is American. Made by Westinghouse in 1915.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 22:37   #6
mojaveman
Area Commander

Remington made some nice ones too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wm_5952482.jpg (15.7 KB, 58 views)
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:41   #7
frostfire
Area Commander

kick like a mule... then I looked at how much Simo Häyhä weighed and I felt like a p******

Going to the vintage sniper match all over the country and ask around will get you to excellent sources and sellers

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

Already found one and damn...the nice ones are a bit spendy but still a great deal considering what US era military bolt actions go for.

Sako 1944 M39 built on an 1895 action...octagonal receiver and all matching numbers with 100% original blue and an arms room tag (In Finn) still attached.
Beautiful stock and like new bore. This from pics.
Seller is shipping to door as with the 1895 stamp (even with the 1944) it can be sold as an antique so no paperwork. Nice.

The M39's are/were re barreled by SAKO when built and the barrels stamped with the receiver SN...they are a bit oversized from the stock Russian and many slug out at .3100 to .311...they did this so they could shoot all Soviet ammo to include MG which tended to be a less controlled diameter round.

There are copper clads out there in those diameters but am interested in what you guys are shooting....I will load my own btw so have brass rounds enroute.
Old 07-12-2018, 17:18   #9
Flagg
Area Commander

The M39’s tend to come in 3 main flavours of receiver stamps:

Sako
SK.Y
B

Sako are self explanatory
SK.Y IIRC were Civil Guard
B are from FN in Belgium

I’ve got a mix(5 total).

2 of them have hang tags with targets that show groupings under 1 inch at approx 150m(equivalent in some weird form of measurement used)

The MN action can be rough as guts but Finnish MNs they can really shoot like lasers.

For performance, I rate it up there with Swedish M38/96 and Swiss K31, but with much rougher wartime fit and finish.

There was an internet outfit dumping them cheap 10 years ago, I got all mine for between 150-300, but the domain is long dead.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:40   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
2 of them have hang tags with targets that show groupings under 1 inch at approx 150m(equivalent in some weird form of measurement used)
Interesting; at that point they were well past 'arshins' as a unit of measurement outside Russia I believe. Do they have that improved Finn sight with the 1.5 mark on it?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 17:39   #11
PRB
Quiet Professional

Cleaned the M39 up, touched the trigger up a bit and fired 15 safety check/familiarization rounds. First round high at 12 on my super duper pie plate targets (50m)...was told they shoot high as the Fins took/trained a 6 hold.

So dropped point of aim to the bottom edge...180 gn S&B copper/lead brass casing (so I can re load)….very pleased with this Fin...shoots well.

On disassembly noted the for stock had been hand sanded internally to give a free floating barrel...there was a copper shim screwed into the stock near receiver where it beds into the stock and the trigger had a separate pin added to keep constant pressure on the trigger....no slack...about a 5 lb break I am guessing and very crisp....really pleased. Ordered a 8.6 mm front sight to replace the 7.4 thatis on it presently but I am going to scope it...the bore is bright with no issues, no counter boring and the muzzle is pristine...it came with an arms room tag on it.
Army SA 1944 with original wartime stock in excellent shape and about 100% bluing.

Sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.jpg (28.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (64.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 18:58   #12
RCummings
Guerrilla

Great find! Congradulations
RCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 20:20   #13
Badger52
Area Commander

Beauty is as beauty does; very nice pair of pics.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40   #14
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Interesting; at that point they were well past 'arshins' as a unit of measurement outside Russia I believe. Do they have that improved Finn sight with the 1.5 mark on it?
Sorry for the delay.

I’ve been away from home for work, i’ll Check and photograph once back and post it.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:20   #15
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Great shooting Sir! I am the proud owner of an M44 Carbine and it shoots about the same.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote