Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 10-14-2014, 15:35   #1
S2theM
Asset

Sick call diaries

Alright gents, excuse me if I placed this in the wrong forum I'm not asking for a diagnosis, I'm asking for help on what to do next. First allow me I explain my situation. I am an E-4 regular army, I injured my hip doing rope climbs in preparation for SFAS. I've done rope climbs before but not at this intensity, so the next day I have a little soreness it feels like it's in my thigh I think O well a muscle group I've never worked out before is sore not a huge deal. Well I end up going and completing sfas in excruciating pain. It's been almost a month since I've been back and my pain has not subsided. From my own self diagnosis I think I have hip bursitis I have the same symptoms. Although LT PA thinks its a muscle strain. I've strained plenty of muscles and never had one hurt this long and this much. But I'm not about to tell this LT how to do his job. Anyways after 2 trips to the emergency room and many trips to sick call I'm still in lots of pain, the kind of pain that keeps you up all night. I've taken ibuprofen and naproxen and that doesn't do anything. When I visit the ER they are nice enough to give me narcotics for a day or 2. I've talked to patient advocacy and they have done nothing. Ive tried going to an off post dr and paying straight up cash, but I need to be referred by my DBAG LT. Well what I'm asking from you guys is what else can I do?

And here's something funny to tell y'all how much of a DBAG this LT is. He said I get it you've been to selection and rucked a few miles and your sore we've all been there. I wanted to rip his throat out after that comment.
S2theM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 18:30   #2
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Go to an orthopedic surgeon or good pain management Dr.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 19:29   #3
S2theM
Asset

I tried. I called their office and asked if I could pay cash but it needs to go through my clinic. I'm in agony at the moment I can't keep up with this.
Old 10-14-2014, 20:45   #4
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

I'd talk to the most senior 18D I could for a doorknob consult and if he comes up with the same Dx, explain why you think it is not and that you have tried to tough it out. Have you had X-rays?
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:18   #5
S2theM
Asset

I'm in regular army so I deal with the 68w's that don't seem to do anything. I've had X-rays, but the bursitis I believe I have is only detectable my MRI. I'm thinking about going in there and telling them about buying drugs off the the street and drinking myself to sleep To get through to them. Last night was unbearable and these medical workers shrug my problem off. Giving me an appointment from a month from now. I know going to the ER isn't recommended unless it's life limb or eyesight. But is it acceptable to go of I'm in this much pain?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:21   #6
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

I would go back to DBAG LT and say it is getting worse not better. Does your Bn not have a Doctor? You should be asking to see a Doc. If you are going to a TMC, how are you ending up with the same Lt each time?

Bursitis sucks. I had it on my elbow after the landing on the Tarmac at Torillos Intl during Just Cause and it lasted for more than a year, but only bothered me if I tried to do preacher curls.

You need a second opinion. From a Doc, preferably an orthopedic Doc

A good DDX would include:
Strained muscle
Pinched nerve
Bursitis
Fracture
(Docs, did I miss any zebras?)

For the time being ice the location as much as you can, 10-20 minutes at a time then off for 20-30 then back on!

The x-Ray should rule out the fracture, bursitis can sometimes be filmed. MRI would confirm but takes awhile to get an apt, sometimes months (don't you love socialized med?). A steroid injection would help. There are about 4 different Burgas in your leg' where is the pinpoint pain located, specifically?

Your comment about drugs off the street concerns me. I would hope that you were just telling a bad sick joke. That would be the fastest way to end your career and probably NOT get your problem fixed. Don't kid around about that!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:58   #7
S2theM
Asset

I'm not serious about the drugs off the street it's just me being really pissed off. Getting in touch with the doc is next to impossible. And the location to the pain it's mostly right in front of my left hip but sometimes radiates around my ass cheek, and along down my thigh although way to my ankle. I've read a cortisone injection would work quite well. And I've tried contacting an off post doc but again I need a referral . Well I'm at sick call now I'm not expecting anything then the old here's an appointment
Old 10-15-2014, 06:04   #8
S2theM
Asset

I'm not serious about the drugs off the street it's just me being really pissed off. Getting in touch with the doc is next to impossible. And the location to the pain it's mostly right in front of my left hip but sometimes radiates around my ass cheek, and along down my thigh although way to my ankle. I've read a cortisone injection would work quite well. And I've tried contacting an off post doc but again I need a referral . Well I'm at sick call now I'm not expecting anything then the old here's an appointment
Old 10-15-2014, 07:51   #9
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Does it hurt when you're in the front leaning rest? How does it feel doing mtn climbers? What about lying on it at night and then getting up bright and early - does it take a few moments of movement/stretching before it sort of feels any better? Does the pain radiate down your leg and feel like it takes your breath away with each step you take on the affected leg?

If so, then your symptoms sound almost identical to what mine were after I was injured doing some climbing. Long story short, I went to an ortho and they found some fractures in my hip and I needed surgery. The fact that I could keep applying weight and embracing the suck only made it worse. At night, I was literally in tears.

This is my thread regarding it and I'm scheduled for another surgery in 3 weeks. I'm not saying anything to scare you or make you think the worst. It's better to prep for the worst and hope for the best. Get that leg/hip looked at and don't waste any time doing so.

Feel free to PM me if you want/need any info. Take it from me (and several others on this board) do not self-diagnose and keep asking questions until you find the information that helps you improve. Good luck!
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46   #10
11Ber
Quiet Professional

If I remember correctly RA BNs do not have MDs. My Infantry BN had a PA. The MD should be at Brigade level. Take your ass up there and go in. He/she should have an open door. Do not take no for an answer. Go to the post hospital and make your way to the hospital commanders office for a respectful discussion of the lack of care you have been receiving. Hell, the Army fired Womack's commander a while back so a visit should get things moving.
Don't do anything disrespectful or illegal but demand quality care, it is your right. I am going through a small battle with a MD that resulted in me going around him to get an MRI. It gave a dx that was different than his and he ate some crow and was pissed but I now have a legit diagnosis and care plan.

Never give up
11Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51   #11
Snaquebite
Area Commander

If you aren't getting the attention you need at the clinic, go through your chain of command or request to see the IG.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:18   #12
S2theM
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPatriot View Post
Does it hurt when you're in the front leaning rest? How does it feel doing mtn climbers? What about lying on it at night and then getting up bright and early - does it take a few moments of movement/stretching before it sort of feels any better? Does the pain radiate down your leg and feel like it takes your breath away with each step you take on the affected leg?
I've tried doing push ups, but just getting down in the position is extremely painful, I wouldn't even think about trying mountain climbers. When I first get up from sitting down the pain is terrible, after a few steps I can almost stand up straight but still in quite a bit of pain. The pain is at it's worst when I'm either laying flat on my back or stomach, I'm not able to completely sprawl out with out being in pain. Last night was one the worst nights after I showered, each step was terrible I laid in bed crying until the last of my pain meds kicked in.

Today at sick call I received mobic (it's not like the naproxen or ibuprofen worked so why bother with this) and a come back in 4 weeks. I asked for meds so I could sleep, I was declined.I also asked (I know this will sound ridiculous) for a profile that says I can only wear one uniform a day. Just changing my clothes is torture.

This clinic is fucked up last year I fractured my leg, they told me I had shin splints. Until one day they rushed me in and showed me.

Idont want to keep running back to the er for pain meds but it's the only way I'm getting them. Through out the day, I don't care I'll be in pain but if I can't sleep because of it I need something a little beefier than some ibuprofen.What is with these docs they act like it's coming out of their pocket.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:34   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I hate to say it, but wait till after hours and go to the Emergency Room.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:55   #14
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2theM View Post
Entire post
I'm with TR and others...get to the ER. Your situation sounds just like mine. I dreaded sleep. I dreaded waking up even more. This sounds silly, but I recall stepping up onto a sidewalk and the heel of my boot barely caught the edge of the sidewalk just enough to make me miss my step. The pain from that literally took my breath away. Push ups were a killer for me as was anything else that was considered a weight bearing movement to my hip.

Speaking from personal experience, consider going easy on the pain meds b/c your body is trying to speak to you. There's a reason why you hurt so much. Also, if you're susceptible to addictive behaviors, that stuff can be hell. I watched a buddy damn near lose his family over them. I couldn't stand taking them bc I hate dry mouth and feeling nauseous. YMMV
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:12   #15
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

I don't see anything about a diagnosis in any of your posts.

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:24.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote