Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 05-14-2011, 15:38   #16
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

PB organization

If I recall correctly 2062's are only good for thirty days or so, longer than that and the equipment needs to get lateral transferred. Looks like I need to go look that one up again.

For my team, I made a list of individual equipment that each team member would be receiving to include things not on the PB, but are team issued. Then I customized that on the 2062 with serial #'s. Things like :

M4 w/ optics/lasers/lights
M9
MBITR
NVGs

Then I made Section 2062's and put them in separate binders, and a Maintenance binder. The good CPT didn't like having so many binders, so now I have one binder that is the team PB, one binder that is the Section's 2062s, and a third binder that is Shortage annexes grouped by section, it is by far the most painful binder, but the most important one in my opinion. It doesn't matter how much cool sh^t you have in your team room, if it's broken it doesn't do you any good

I think the key is getting the section guys to sign for their stuff and get involved in the upkeep of their assigned equipment. The next biggest thing for a new 18C would be to know what each piece of equipment is in your team room and keep that maintenance/shortage annex up to date with 2404's. And don't get forced into doing it all yourself, have each section do their 2404s.

I know that my company has done our shortage annexes correctly for the last 3.5 years and have ordered what we are short 3 times and still haven't received any of it, then again we're NG and our priority isn't very high according to mother Army.

My $.02

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 16:40   #17
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboykpy View Post
If I recall correctly 2062's are only good for thirty days or so, longer than that and the equipment needs to get lateral transferred. Looks like I need to go look that one up again.
Good for 90 days by DA PAM and REGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboykpy View Post
I think the key is getting the section guys to sign for their stuff and get involved in the upkeep of their assigned equipment. The next biggest thing for a new 18C would be to know what each piece of equipment is in your team room and keep that maintenance/shortage annex up to date with 2404's. And don't get forced into doing it all yourself, have each section do their 2404s.
IMHO it is an 18C job to make sure all the other MOS sign for their Stuff. They have their section and they have their part of the TM room, Butler Bld or Deployment Shed to keep clean and account for. If you think as a Charlie that some other MOS can't handle their stuff, you talk to your Tm SGT. I never thought it was my job to make sure I handled other MOS stuff. We all have a Metic Ton on our plates now a days!! I did need to know where their section stuff was. But I never put it in a tuff box or moved here or there. I did make sure that all section BOX were numbered for deployments and D-list and numbered for AMO paperwork - As per TM SOP. I felt that as a 18C what made you better was working with guys on your ODA not fighting with them over the way they did their section. It may be mess up for your system, but in their minds it's the heat!!

This is what I kept in ODA Property (3" Binder) PBO Book: (All broken down by divider tabs)

1. Copy of CPT's signed hand receipt from Company Supply SGT
2. Sub-Hand Receipts delegating equipment from the CPT to respective individual in that MOS on DA 2062's
3. Copies of all Turn-in Docs / Maintenance Docs for the Commo Section ((NEVER THROW any of these AWAY!! Put them into your OLD PBO Reciept Binder!!!)))
4. Copies of all Turn-in Docs / Maintenance Docs for the Weapon Section ((NEVER THROW any of these AWAY!! Put them into your OLD PBO Reciept Binder!!!)))NVGs always come up missing
5. Copies of all Turn-in Docs / Maintenance Docs for the Medical Section
6. Copies of shortage annexes DA 2062 for the whole ODA. Each Section would do their own up on their own DA 2062
7. 2062s of Equipment signed out not for repairs or maintance
8. Stay Behind and Deployment PBO Reciept
9. All the paperwork you have to purduce while deployed for inventories... Love them!!!
10. DA 2062 or EXCELL List of Team Equipment not on Property Book ie. I have each section do up their own. I tried to do these while we were on a mission or JCET. A MUST right after you get back.
11. Nice to to have a tab for all those reciept you have from buying stuff for that OEF trip. This way you will know what guy have and got.
**** Team Issue Equipment in a 1 1/2" Binder with Sub-Hand Receipts delegating team equipment to Individual on DA2062. Most MOS kepted their own books too. Bravos are best for these!!

All Hand Reciepts and 2062. I never throw away. Just put them in another binder marked OLD PBO Reciepts. I kept only the current CPTs PBO Reciepts, none the old copies were in the 3" Binder.

I will add this, you will always have guys gone during the Company COR inventories. At the worst of time for you as a 18C, it best to have your MOS to make a Picture book, if they didn't have a Section Book. LIke the MED TACT SET or the 18F camera set of what everything is for that SKU worked best for me. ANCOC, SOCM-P, SFSC, Grp language school, ETC you will have guy's gone. The ODA need to help out, not just the 18C. The PBO is signed for by the DET CMDR and he is the ODA CDR. It's not just the 18C that needs to stay long hours laying other sections out becuase that one guy of the MOS is at School and the other MOS is on Leave. I say look it this way - CROSS TRAINING BROTHERS........... Your Cross training while your laying out the SF Tactical Medical Set or Camera Set!!!!!!

Guess what Cowboy, I guess you will be that adhoc 18C after the 18F Course!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 11-05-2011 at 08:59.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 19:28   #18
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

adhoc my ass

my TS already told me I'm still the senior Chuck until we 1) get a new one from the Q and I train him to the TS's standard, or 2) we get one from another team who's not a new guy and even if either of those things happen I'll still be the "Senior" after I get promoted and become the Fox. It sounds like I have job security until I screw up.

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03   #19
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional

Definately helps

Thanks Hotshot, the format really helped me get the mess I inherited turned around and not a moment too soon. Definitely helped to have everything on digits when we had to do a quick stay go list and every piece of equipment was on excel in columns by LIN, SUBLIN, NSN, SN, Nomenclature, QTY, Item Note, Location, Section, and STAY/GO. Made it really easy for me to email the sections their copy and all they had to do was change the last column to S or G. Then it's easy to just organize by the last column to generate the stay go list. Made me look like I know what's going on Charlie wise. Thanks for squaring me away before I really looked like the new guy without a clue. And the saying "you will learn it when you get there" is definitely the truth.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29   #20
mcmac61
Asset

I have been Retired, 92Y, since 2007 , but a DA 2062 is good until Change of Command has taken place, but should be updated every 6 months. The DA 3161 can be used for a 30 day loan or when it has a Document Number from PBO it is a lateral transfer for Property Book Items with the CO signature. When all else fails use AR 735-5. I hope this helps.
mcmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 21:58   #21
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmac61 View Post
I have been Retired, 92Y, since 2007 , but a DA 2062 is good until Change of Command has taken place, but should be updated every 6 months. The DA 3161 can be used for a 30 day loan or when it has a Document Number from PBO it is a lateral transfer for Property Book Items with the CO signature. When all else fails use AR 735-5. I hope this helps.
MAC - Thanks you for the help!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 05-24-2011, 23:54   #22
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgrp"C" View Post
Thanks Hotshot, the format really helped me get the mess I inherited turned around and not a moment too soon. Definitely helped to have everything on digits when we had to do a quick stay go list and every piece of equipment was on excel in columns by LIN, SUBLIN, NSN, SN, Nomenclature, QTY, Item Note, Location, Section, and STAY/GO. Made it really easy for me to email the sections their copy and all they had to do was change the last column to S or G. Then it's easy to just organize by the last column to generate the stay go list. Made me look like I know what's going on Charlie wise. Thanks for squaring me away before I really looked like the new guy without a clue. And the saying "you will learn it when you get there" is definitely the truth.
No problem bro, glad it worked out for you. I only charge a couple Pints of Guinness

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:34   #23
cobra22
Quiet Professional

One of the things I did on my team that helped a lot on inventories, stay/go list and property book in general. Was to get all the things that we no longer used turned in and taken off my property book.
Old 07-07-2011, 13:16   #24
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra22 View Post
One of the things I did on my team that helped a lot on inventories, stay/go list and property book in general. Was to get all the things that we no longer used turned in and taken off my property book.
When I was in 10th Main we had guys that did this too. One thing to keep in mind is just because you don’t use those solar panels or that TK 101 tool box (Which were the SHIZNIT) or those electrical Demo reels, ETC. You have to think UW or other military operations. When I got to 3rd Group they turned all of the Solar panels because no one used (Still don't) rechargeable batteries, well here we are during combat operations having to get resupplied with food, water or beans or bullets. But for batteries!!! Into all locations a SR mountain Top SO positions. So just keep this in mind when you turn stuff in, how was this to be used in UW? Do I need it or whatever?

Those type writers or broken yes. Compasses, Head sets, SF MED Tact SET sterilizer or hand cracked power source? Should you? SF has a ton of stuff that regular Army have based off our MTOE. We must get them. Keep in mind that some of those MTOE items are use us and Guerillas. Why in the hell does an ODA need so many NVGs??

Just my .02

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 07-10-2011, 05:33   #25
cobra22
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
When I was in 10th Main we had guys that did this too. One thing to keep in mind is just because you don’t use those solar panels or that TK 101 tool box (Which were the SHIZNIT) or those electrical Demo reels, ETC. You have to think UW or other military operations. When I got to 3rd Group they turned all of the Solar panels because no one used (Still don't) rechargeable batteries, well here we are during combat operations having to get resupplied with food, water or beans or bullets. But for batteries!!! Into all locations a SR mountain Top SO positions. So just keep this in mind when you turn stuff in, how was this to be used in UW? Do I need it or whatever?

Those type writers or broken yes. Compasses, Head sets, SF MED Tact SET sterilizer or hand cracked power source? Should you? SF has a ton of stuff that regular Army have based off our MTOE. We must get them. Keep in mind that some of those MTOE items are use us and Guerillas. Why in the hell does an ODA need so many NVGs??

Just my .02
Very good advice, thank you. Most of the stuff I turned in was broken, it just didn't make any sense to me to be laying out broken shit for inventories.
Old 07-18-2011, 22:20   #26
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra22 View Post
Very good advice, thank you. Most of the stuff I turned in was broken, it just didn't make any sense to me to be laying out broken shit for inventories.
RGR that .. If it is broken get rid of it. Let it sit in that Small Supply SGTs room. Let him deal with it.

This war has just really set into every MOS that... I don't need this or these anymore. As the term goes.. Watch out for mission Creep!!

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 07-18-2011, 22:32   #27
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
RGR that .. If it is broken get rid of it. Let it sit in that Small Supply SGTs room. Let him deal with it.

This war has just really set into every MOS that... I don't need this or these anymore. As the term goes.. Watch out for mission Creep!!
Flipside too. Don't get rid of stuff you might need later... same goes for packing out to go downrange... I've had the thought "Hmm, I really don't want to bring this, but I should just in case" prove me right later on. But don't bring broken stuff - cause no matter how much you might need it later - it's still going to be broken!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:35   #28
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
Flipside too. Don't get rid of stuff you might need later... same goes for packing out to go downrange... I've had the thought "Hmm, I really don't want to bring this, but I should just in case" prove me right later on. But don't bring broken stuff - cause no matter how much you might need it later - it's still going to be broken!
True Head.. But I will add this...

I have brought Broken items downrange before.. yes crazy.. but this is why...

5KWa Generator that my motor pool could not fix and other stuff. Well third world people are the best recycling and rebuilding broken this. I got the generators fix. L3 guys are great too. Most better than Motor pool guys, they get to go to real school and get better at their jobs.

My ,02

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 09-27-2011, 19:02   #29
head
Quiet Professional

NM

Last edited by head; 11-02-2011 at 15:12.
head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 21:54   #30
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
On my last team, we had an access database with every piece of equipment on the team listed, even the stuff not on the property book, along with columns for who is signed it, where it was located, "Stay/Go" checkbox. It would generate stay/go and packing lists from that. Made it very easy as long as guys updated the database.

Of course that was in addition to the hardcopy Property Book, and subhandreceipts.

One thing that I'd recommend is taking photos of every item and adding that to the database or spreadsheet by line item/ NSN / serial number.

Also, the 18C has the master property book, but each section should also maintain copies of their paperwork/2062s/turn-in docs.
Spot on. Thats what I have been doing for the last few weeks trying to update things, since im taking the senior slot, and my current senior is moving to another team, we are knocking this out so that he can take it with him and use it on his new team. The database is a good idea too, along with 2062's containing all of the component lists for each item, and a digital shortage annex for each item as well. I am almost done with them in xfdl format if anyone wants copies, I might be willing to trade for other useful documents.......
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote