Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 06-11-2007, 04:15   #1
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

An Enormous Crime

"An Enormous Crime:The definitive account of American POWs Abandoned in Southeast Asia" Authors: Former US Rep Bill Hendon (R-NC) and Elizabeth Stewart.

If you want a cholesterol clearing, absolutely depressing, maddening, enfuriating, book to read, read this. You know when you find a book that your just do not want to put down because you have to find out what the main character is going to do next? Well this is not one of those books. This is one of those books that you have to put down to reflect on what you just read. It is one of those books that you know you have to pick up and read but do not really want to know what you are going to read next. It is one of those books that absolutely convinces you that there are very few career politicians that are worthy of licking the sweat ring that forms on the leather of your jungle boots. It is one of those books that tells you exactly why those of us that "spent too much time with troops" hate those that sought and kept jobs in Washington, DC either within the bowels of the five-sided concrete sphincter or within the various agencies and departments. It is one of those books that will show you exactly why folks like Powell, McCain, Kerry, usw should never be CINC. It is a book that tells every person in uniform that you will be betrayed by civilian and military bureaucrats with special agendas that expect you to die to keep them in power. So if you are looking for a book to read, kicked back in your recliner while sipping an amber colored adult beverage to relax and sort of loose yourself in, do not read this book.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

So Sir, this is suitable for reading between iterations on the pistol range?

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:34   #3
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo
So Sir, this is suitable for reading between iterations on the pistol range?
Actually no, you are going to be so pissed that your eyes will water and you will not be able to see your front site blade.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34   #4
Hipshot
Quiet Professional

If it's really as bad as Col M says, I'd recommend using the book as a target - pictures of your 'favorite' politicians optional.
11F4S - S/Sgt, B/2/12th SFG(A)
a.k.a. Sheep Dog Daddy

God whispers in your soul and speaks to your mind.
Sometimes when you don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at you.
It's your choice: Listen to the whisper, or wait for the brick.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41   #5
incommin
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
If it's really as bad as Col M says, I'd recommend using the book as a target - pictures of your 'favorite' politicians optional.
Why destroy the messenger? A book that informs or moves people to thought should not be destroyed. No photos of politicians, that's another story!

We have the government in DC that we deserve because we keep re-electing them. Polls say that we think they stink, that they are self serving, and that we want our elected officials to do more than work 3 days a week and party. But we will not band together and change the mess we have allowed to grow.

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:41   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommin
Why destroy the messenger? A book that informs or moves people to thought should not be destroyed. No photos of politicians, that's another story!

We have the government in DC that we deserve because we keep re-electing them. Polls say that we think they stink, that they are self serving, and that we want our elected officials to do more than work 3 days a week and party. But we will not band together and change the mess we have allowed to grow.

Jim
True.

Most people hate every person in Congree except for theirs, and they don't care enough about them to get off their asses and do anything, including voting.

If people knew the cost of a free and open election, they would vote in every one at much higher numbers than they do now.

We have far too many complacent (and entitled) citizens and bought politicians in this country.

We all know that the North kept POWs after the war as bargaining chips, as they did with the French and we never went back for them.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 18:32   #7
Karl.Masters
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
"An Enormous Crime:The definitive account of American POWs Abandoned in Southeast Asia" Authors: Former US Rep Bill Hendon (R-NC) and Elizabeth Stewart.

If you want a cholesterol clearing, absolutely depressing, maddening, enfuriating, book to read, read this. You know when you find a book that your just do not want to put down because you have to find out what the main character is going to do next? Well this is not one of those books. This is one of those books that you have to put down to reflect on what you just read. It is one of those books that you know you have to pick up and read but do not really want to know what you are going to read next. It is one of those books that absolutely convinces you that there are very few career politicians that are worthy of licking the sweat ring that forms on the leather of your jungle boots. It is one of those books that tells you exactly why those of us that "spent too much time with troops" hate those that sought and kept jobs in Washington, DC either within the bowels of the five-sided concrete sphincter or within the various agencies and departments. It is one of those books that will show you exactly why folks like Powell, McCain, Kerry, usw should never be CINC. It is a book that tells every person in uniform that you will be betrayed by civilian and military bureaucrats with special agendas that expect you to die to keep them in power. So if you are looking for a book to read, kicked back in your recliner while sipping an amber colored adult beverage to relax and sort of loose yourself in, do not read this book.
Sir,

I remember this feeling from reading "Kiss the Boys Goodbye".

I had the honor of meeting MAJ Mark Smith when I was assigned to 5th.

He recounted betrayals that moved him to sue the president.

That was in 85-86.

And here we are.

Karl
Karl.Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48   #8
magician
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Masters
I had the honor of meeting MAJ Mark Smith when I was assigned to 5th.

He recounted betrayals that moved him to sue the president.

That was in 85-86.

And here we are.l
I spend time with Mark here.

Strange, but I do not find him "crazy," as some have alleged.

If you really want to get him going, ask him about Bo Gritz.

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11   #9
Karl.Masters
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician

Magician,

My TS MSG Don Ringley (ODA 522) introduced me. Years later, in another assignment I had the opportunity to read his testimony and that of COL Howard re the live sightings. I was very disappointed with Gen KCL position, "too hot to handle" as I recall.

Mark is a great SF Soldier, a man who followed his convictions. I have the greatest respect for what he did.

Please send him my best regards.

Thanks,
Karl
Old 06-26-2007, 11:14   #10
magician
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Masters
Magician,

My TS MSG Don Ringley (ODA 522) introduced me. Years later, in another assignment I had the opportunity to read his testimony and that of COL Howard re the live sightings. I was very disappointed with Gen KCL position, "too hot to handle" as I recall.

Mark is a great SF Soldier, a man who followed his convictions. I have the greatest respect for what he did.

Please send him my best regards.

Thanks,
Karl
I will be seeing Mark in a few days, Karl. I will relay for you.

s.
-

Old 06-26-2007, 11:26   #11
Karl.Masters
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I will be seeing Mark in a few days, Karl. I will relay for you.

s.
-
That is most appreciated-thank you-

V/r

Karl
Old 06-26-2007, 16:38   #12
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:

Perhaps you could do a favor for The Family and get him on here? If you were to do this service, we might even find a way to ship you something from Mrs. Robino's . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 16:44   #13
magician
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Perhaps you could do a favor for The Family and get him on here? If you were to do this service, we might even find a way to ship you something from Mrs. Robino's . . .
I will ask him. And not because you attempt to entice me.

s.
-

Old 06-26-2007, 16:50   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
I will ask him. And not because you attempt to entice me.

s.
-
Deny it all you want, but I believe this is a solid enticement.

Oh, and thank you very much!
Old 06-11-2007, 19:03   #15
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I just ordered it. Here is the Amazon link for others who want to:

http://www.amazon.com/Enormous-Crime...1614921&sr=8-1