Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-14-2006, 10:20   #16
Fonzy
Guerrilla

I'm usually a lurker here, but this post along with last months drill posed a question that I havent been able to find an answer to, perhaps because I generally suck at finding things in the regs.

I remember seeing something on AKO about wearing fleeces with the BDU/ACU, but I can't seem to find it (frusterating because it's only been about 2 days since I saw the orgional post). I checked AR 670-1, but that wasn't much help. I talked to a couple buddies of mine, and they've all seen people wearing them within their units, but no one has any definate answers.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, I thought you SF guys are pretty much allowed to wear whatever you wanted when deployed, but can anyone here tell me if a black fleece is permitted to wear with the BDU/ACU?

Thanks in advance.

**edit** Only "answer" I've been able to find. Don't know if I trust them though

http://maacs.com/Merchant2/merchant....de=1AA-AFleece

Last edited by Fonzy; 02-14-2006 at 11:27.
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:04   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I do not believe that it is authorized for wear in garrison.

In the field, in SF, it is fine. Not sure about the rest of the Army.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24   #18
Ammodawg
Asset

Fleece

Most of the SF guys coming through Spangdahlem here wear their black fleece jackets on the outside with their ACU's. They are everywhere now that we opened up our AMC capabilities. Even have some of my troops asking me why they are not allowed to do the same
Ammodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:46   #19
N.Franklin
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy
I'm usually a lurker here, but this post along with last months drill posed a question that I havent been able to find an answer to, perhaps because I generally suck at finding things in the regs.

I remember seeing something on AKO about wearing fleeces with the BDU/ACU, but I can't seem to find it (frusterating because it's only been about 2 days since I saw the orgional post). I checked AR 670-1, but that wasn't much help. I talked to a couple buddies of mine, and they've all seen people wearing them within their units, but no one has any definate answers.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, I thought you SF guys are pretty much allowed to wear whatever you wanted when deployed, but can anyone here tell me if a black fleece is permitted to wear with the BDU/ACU?

Thanks in advance.

**edit** Only "answer" I've been able to find. Don't know if I trust them though

http://maacs.com/Merchant2/merchant....de=1AA-AFleece

Click Here! Look under paragraph 3c.
N.Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 17:43   #20
wch84
Auxiliary

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I picked up a TAD Stealth Hoodie Reloaded recently. Never spent that much money on an article of clothing, but it was damn sure worth it.

The reinforcement in the elbow area is very sturdy. Cuts the wind well. No rain in my neck of the woods yet, but it resisted my kitchen faucet well. It's warm, but seems to be fairly breathable. Wearing it inside a 70 degree room, after coming in from the cold - no sweating at all. My favorite detail is the fleece that covers the front zipper at the chin. For once I can zip a jacket all the way up and not have the zipper pull out my beard.

I was skeptical that a $250 jacket was really that much better than something cheaper, but it is. Looking forward to getting many years of use out of it.
wch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 20:31   #21
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Robin Hoodie

I bought the Robin Hoodie about 3 weeks ago and I have been wearing it every day.
It is slightly tight in the biceps but a really great hoodie. It looks good around town and works well when out hunting and fishing

Last edited by doctom54; 02-20-2010 at 09:58.
doctom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 20:35   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Their gear looks and feels great, but the price point is a bit high for my budget.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 20:29   #23
akv
Area Commander

Tad Gear-Positive Experience

Their main store is a a few blocks south of my apartment next to one of the better breakfast spots in SF, so I check out what's new a few times a month. I picked up a Brown Stealth Hoodie last fall for the ski season. It is very light so I asked about the warmth factor. The salesman told me layered with a long sleeve tshirt, or light sweatshirt it will keep you warm at altitude with temperatures in the 20's. He was correct, skiing this winter in Tahoe with temperatures in the high 20's it was extremely light, warm, and kept the water out all day. It also kept me warm during a night game at Candlestick Park which can be freezing. I especially like the lumbar pocket for keeping a wallet, keys or a beanie while hiking, skiing etc. I heard they had some issue with someone hacking credit card information from folks who ordered from the website a while back, but my experience with them has been positive. The brand is pricey, but I'm happy with it, and the military cut and American flag patch have the fringe benefit of annoying West Coast Liberals...
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote