Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > In Memory Of

Old 10-23-2014, 14:38   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

CSM(R) Robert Gallagher

I served with Bob Gallagher and he was one of the finest soldiers I ever met.

You may recall his character from "Blackhawk Down."

The last time I saw him was on television in 2003.

He was a Battalion CSM in a 3rd ID Infantry unit and his troops were in contact in Baghdad under an overpass.

Bob was slinging lead with the troops when he was hit in the leg. He kept advancing (limping) and shooting until the contact had slacked off and they put him on a stretcher. As they carried him off, he pulled out his pistol and continued firing at the enemy.

He was a helluva soldier and a good man.

You will be missed, Bob.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Save me a good seat on the other side.

TR

Decorated soldier from 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52

Published October 23, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/23...ia-dies-at-52/

Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher was in Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993 and in Baghdad for the U.S. invasion in 2003. When he retired, he worked to serve soldiers. He died on Oct. 13 at age 52. (3rd Infantry Division/Facebook)

A decorated soldier who participated in the Somalia battle immortalized by Hollywood blockbuster “Black Hawk Down” was reportedly found dead in his Georgia home earlier this month.

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher, 52, died of natural causes as a result of a heart condition, the Army Times reports. He served as the command sergeant major for the Army’s Wounded Warrior Program, but had extensive experience in major combat operations, including Operation Just Cause in Panama and with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia, which was later made famous by the 2001 film.

“You know, I don’t say this lightly, but Bob is probably one of, probably the best soldier I ever served with, retired Col. Greg Gadson told the newspaper. “That man really cared about soldiers.”

Born in Bayonne, N.J., Gallagher joined the Army in 1981 and later earned several awards and decorations, including a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars. He earned the Silver Star in 2002 during Operation Iraqi Freedom as troops advanced from Kuwait to Baghdad, when he suffered a leg wound but continued to direct his men.

“The best day and worst day of my life was when I served in Mogadishu, Somalia, on October 3, 1993, as part of Task Force Ranger,” Gallagher said in 2010. “It was the worst day, because we lost 18 soldiers and 84 others, including myself, were wounded. It was the best day of my life because it showed the incredible performance of our warriors in long-protracted battle under extraordinary circumstances in an urban environment. Throughout it all, the warriors that fought that day performed in a manner that was consistent with the values of our nation, and I was very proud of that.”

A memorial ceremony is scheduled for Oct. 31 at Fort Benning in Georgia. Gallagher will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, but a date has not yet been determined. He is survived by his wife, Denene, and sons Patrick and Sean.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 15:03   #2
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...a-Iraq-dies-52

There's more info and a picture of him fighting while the leg wound is being dressed.

I met him once. He was what I always thought a SNCO should be. RIP CSM and condolences to the family and friends he left behind.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 15:06   #3
cbtengr
Area Commander

RIP CSM ! Thank you for sharing that info TR.
Old 10-23-2014, 15:47   #4
nousdefions
Quiet Professional

Rest in God's Peace, Warrior. The land of the Free because of the Brave
nousdefions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 16:49   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 17:22   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace CSM
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 17:25   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

RLTW CSM!!!! Sad to hear another warrior leave the battlefield.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 19:40   #8
Sohei
Area Commander

Rest In Peace, Warrior and thank you for your many years of service and sacrifice.

My condolences to those that knew him personally, as well as his family.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 20:20   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Toast going up now.

Sua Sponte, Sergeant Major.

RIP.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 20:42   #10
PRB
Quiet Professional

RIP CSM, great man.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:48   #11
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

R.I.P. CSM. "Nous Resterons Là"
sg1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 15:15   #12
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

REST IN PEACE:

Rest In Peace CSM. YOU LEFT US TO SOON, Prayers out to family & friends. tom kelly
Old 10-25-2014, 18:07   #13
jbour13
Area Commander

Knew of him and his reputation when I was in 25th ID(L). There were men there that were distinctly scared of him, but deeply respected him.

RIP CSM

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:38   #14
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Rest in peace, Command Sgt. Maj. Gallagher. Thank you for your service and may God bless your family.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08   #15
glebo
Quiet Professional

RIP CSM, thank you for your service. Prayers and condolences out to his family and friends...