Old 04-02-2012, 16:32   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Greg Fronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpa19
TR

Would you be so kind as to post this in the proper thread?

Thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/wo...ted=all&src=pm

Twenty five years ago. Wow.

IMO Greg Fronius.

RIP, hermano.

Thanks for your service, and your sacrifice, in a cause most have forgotten.

See you on the other side.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 16:59   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

RIP. Seems like yesterday.
Old 04-02-2012, 17:25   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Rip Warrior, Vaya on Dios..

Quote:

Gregory Allen Fronius
Date of birth: November 3, 1959
Date of death: March 31, 1987
Place of Birth: Painsville, Ohio
Home of record: Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Silver Star

SYNOPSIS: Staff Sergeant United States Army, was awarded the Silver Star (Posthumously) for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving with the 3d Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), in El Salvador, on 31 March 1987. On that date, pro-Cuban guerrillas of the Marxist group Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front launched a well-planned, early morning attack on the base camp at El Paraiso, El Salvador. Staff Sergeant, an advisor serving at that base camp, rallied the defense in action that resulted in many casualties among the attacking forces, before he was himself mortally wounded. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army.

Action Date: March 31, 1987

Service: Army

Battalion: 3d Battalion

http://militarytimes.com/citations-m...pientid=104527

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:00   #4
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Greg. You are still remembered and appreciated.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 21:04   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

!Descanse en paz, Rojo! Su nombre y sus actos ahora son un parte integral de la fabrica de nuestra memoria comunal.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:22   #6
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Gone,but not forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz...eature=related

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25   #7
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

TEDDY:

A copy of that poem is left at Greg Fronius' gravesite every Memorial Day.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:15   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpa19 View Post
TEDDY:

A copy of that poem is left at Greg Fronius' gravesite every Memorial Day.
Gotcha........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:12   #9
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Greg was my Ruck Buddy in Phase I ... Miss ya Bro... can we trade for those peaches now?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:31   #10
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

RIP

As a humble and thankful citizen of this Country, RIP and thank you.

From the site I found (below):

Quote:
"I always said he'd be something different than the rest," she said, glancing at the television news in the next room. "He was red-headed and left-handed. I said he'd either be a bum or something important."

As it turned out, Asbury's son, Staff Sgt. Gregory Allen Fronius, a 27- year-old Green Beret who spent many of his early years in this Fayette County town, did become something important.
http://army.togetherweserved.com/arm...erson&ID=42023
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 00:12   #11
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

"I always said he'd be something different than the rest," she said, glancing at the television news in the next room. "He was red-headed and left-handed. I said he'd either be a bum or something important."

God Bless soldier, RIP.
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:47   #12
Doc Diego
Quiet Professional

RIP Hermano
Old 04-24-2014, 18:39   #13
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Fronius Family

It was my honor to meet Greg's brother now many years ago in Washington DC.

We were filming the "60 Minutes" segment on El Sal with Ed Bradley.

Not long afterward the effort to see the wrongful awarding of a posthumous Meritorious Service Medal (downgraded from the original Silver Star recommended after his death) was successful.

Colonel John McMullen (Retired) resubmitted that award as part of the original combat awards and decorations packet as championed by MG Ken Bowra (Retired) when Ken was USASFC CDR.

Colonel Gus Taylor, then CPT out of 3/7 in Panama, was the MTT CDR at the time Greg was KIA. Gus was of immense help with additional information and photographs he took the day after the battle. Gus passed these off to me in DC and we used the information to help get the Silver Star narrative properly written.

Not known but by a few was that Gus and another advisor from EP went on an extended hunt of FMLN guerrillas not long after the battle. From what Gus told me in Panama some years later (where he'd moved to) they were very successful. Payback is an M21 sniper system.

Greg's family was well pleased with the endstate arrived at in June 1998 when Greg's son went forward at the combat awards ceremony at Bragg to receive his dad's posthumous Silver Star.

Today we have a memorial stone and white oak tree at Arlington National Cemetery (Section 12, not far from where Colonel Rowe is buried up on the hill) and the war in El Salvador is a recognized U.S. military campaign.

This story in the Washington Post was published the day after that dedication ceremony took place - http://www.public-action.com/SkyWrit...c/w_doc05.html
Old 04-24-2014, 21:29   #14
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasik View Post
---- Today we have a memorial stone and white oak tree at Arlington National Cemetery (Section 12, not far from where Colonel Rowe is buried up on the hill) and the war in El Salvador is a recognized U.S. military campaign.

This story in the Washington Post was published the day after that dedication ceremony took place - http://www.public-action.com/SkyWrit...c/w_doc05.html
I was privileged to be among the guys attending the ceremony at Arlington. Thanks for attaching the article. Brings back a lot of memories.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:25   #15
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Arlington

We probably met there on that day.

That was also when the first Armed Forces Expeditionary Medals for the campaign were awarded.

GEN Bowra came down with a group of operators from the 7th who'd served in El Sal, as I recall.

I visited our memorial a year ago. First time I'd been back since the ceremony. The tree has grown wonderfully and is both strong and beautiful. It's a very special place - I shared it with our 3rd oldest son, combat Marine, and he was wonderfully respectful and interested in how it came to be.