Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > In Memory Of

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28   #31
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Tucson NCO dies in Afghan fighting
Green Beret is killed at 36 while on his 5th deployment
By Alex Dalenberg
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, a Green Beret who grew up in Tucson, would send his family word from Afghanistan whenever he could, even if he only had time enough to say, "I love you."
His mother, Bonnie Hurt, said she would sometimes get instant messages from her son that said, "I'm really busy. I love you."
Hurt, 36, and another non-commissioned officer in his unit, Staff Sgt. Jeremy E. Bessa, 26, died Friday in central Afghanistan supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, a Department of Defense press release said.
Their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device near the village of Khordi in Oruzgan province. Shortly afterward, their unit came under fire from enemy forces, the release said.
Bessa died at the scene. Hurt was flown to Kandahar Airfield, where he died from his wounds.
Both soldiers were assigned to Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), a U.S Army Special Forces press release said.
It was Hurt's fifth deployment in Afghanistan, the release said.
Hurt was born in Oak Park, Ill., but moved to Tucson when he was 3 years old. He joined the Army in 1992 after graduating from Santa Rita High School, Bonnie Hurt said.
Hurt went on to a decorated military career, joining the Green Berets and winning numerous awards and decorations, including the Bronze Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters, his U.S. Army biography states.
Hurt loved the Army. Even as boy he loved playing with toy soldiers, his mother said.
Years later, after her son had joined the Army, she would walk into his home and see the small plastic soldiers spread across a table — this time being used to plan out real-life tactics.
"He always loved the Army. Oh God, he loved it," she said.
And Hurt loved his country, installing a flagpole in his mother's front yard after returning from his first combat deployment, she said.
Hurt also cared deeply for the men whose lives he was responsible for.
"On those (Special Forces) teams, they're closer than they are to their families," Bonnie Hurt said.
Wednesday, the last time Bonnie Hurt spoke with her son, Hurt told her that he was trying to keep his team's spirits high after a medic had been killed the week before. He told her that he was trying to keep his team of young soldiers busy so they wouldn't have time to dwell on things, she said.
Most of all, Hurt was a husband and a father, survived by his wife, Kelly, 11-year-old daughter, Avery, and 5-year-old son, Wyatt.
"He was a very loving, caring husband, . . . and he was a great father. He loved doing things with his kids. He took his kids everywhere," Bonnie Hurt said. "They're really taking it rough," she said.
Funeral arrangements are pending. Bonnie Hurt said she hopes some of Hurt's friends in Tucson will contact with the family before then. He had been wanting to visit with old friends before his final deployment, she said.
As for herself, nothing in her life compares with this loss. "I've lost my mom. I've lost my dad. I've lost my aunt. I've been through a ton of funerals," she said. "You can go through all of that, but it's nothing like losing your kid . . . they're not supposed to go before you."

funeral info

If you knew Master Sgt. David L. Hurt and would like information about funeral arrangements, call Bonnie Hurt at 1-910-987-1465.

Contact reporter Alex Dalenberg at 307-0579 or at adalenberg@azstarnet.com.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/281361
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36   #32
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

RIP, Warrior.................

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 02-23-2009 at 10:39.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 14:19   #33
TimelyChaos
SF Candidate

Thoughts and prayers

I had the privilege of being assigned to MSG Hurt's hut at CLT. He was a consummate professional who gave me my first real glance at what it meant to be a Quiet Professional. With the utmost respect, with thoughts and prayers to the families of both soldiers, I thank you for your service. Rest in Peace.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:02   #34
Nonna
Asset

RIP
Nonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36   #35
csquare
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace Warrior
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:52   #36
Needle D
Quiet Professional

The Big Hurt

One of the best Team Sergeants I ever had.... I will miss my brothers on 3123.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58   #37
ABN_FO
Auxiliary

Dave Hurt

Rest In Peace Dave, You will be deeply missed by myself and my family.

MSG David Hurt
SSG Marvin Trost
SSG Thor Ingraham
SPC Edwin Roodhouse
PFC Nicholas Messmer
ABN_FO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05   #38
DbeforeD
Asset

RIP

Peace be with you and your family.
DbeforeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:39   #39
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

R I P

Rest in Peace Sgt. Prayers Out for you & your family...God Bless You & God Bless America...Regard's, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:01   #40
azmg
Guerrilla

For those interested here is a brief media clip of the MSG's Tucson service.

http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s=9940754

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 03-03-2009 at 22:40.
azmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54   #41
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Big Loss

Dave was a great guy, people always look to him for guidance. Team mates hated his old school 307th PT.. Push ups, sit-ups, pull-ups now let s go run 5 miles.

All will be missed from this team. Great guys working together to kick some @$$ in Oruzgun.

Rest in Peace Warriors...my thoughts and prayers are with your families and Brothers. Bluer Skies and soft landings!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 13:09   #42
HQ6
Guerrilla

The memorial service was this morning for MSG Hurt, SSG Bessa, and SSG Small. After a week of rain and icy cold weather, the skies cleared and the sun came out to provide a beautiful day for the service which was fortunate because JFK Chapel was overflowing not only into the courtyard but into the parking lot. When SSG Bessa's father spoke, I don't think there was a dry eye there. It was very moving and fittingly beautiful to honor three fallen soldiers who were also really good men.
Old 03-05-2009, 17:35   #43
JihadJilson
Quiet Professional

When SSG Bessa's father spoke, I don't think there was a dry eye there. It was very moving and fittingly beautiful to honor three fallen soldiers who were also really good men.

Can't agree with you more. It was very emotional. A well executed memorial for the men. R.I.P. brothers and thank you.
JihadJilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 16:18   #44
CasperMike
Quiet Professional

RIP MSG Hurt
Old 02-20-2015, 20:48   #45
sefryak
Quiet Professional

6 years today for MSG Hurt, SSG Bessa and TSGT Davis

RIP brothers

Last edited by sefryak; 02-20-2015 at 20:52.
sefryak is offline   Reply With Quote