Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > In Memory Of

Old 05-16-2005, 07:46   #16
McNasty
Quiet Professional

I served in C 1/1 with Nate. I was in 2/1 when he showed back up to Ft. Lewis and assigned to 3/1. I considered him to be a good friend.

Everyone that knew him considered him a friend, a warrior and someone they could always count on. I have never heard one word spoken in a negative way about Nate.

When we were in miserable places and thought things could not possibly suck any worse, Nate would always do or say something to make you laugh and make the suckfest just a little more enjoyable. He found the "good" in everything he did.

Nate will never be forgotten.

RIP Brother.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:08   #17
optactical
Quiet Professional

I went through SFAUC with Nate in 2000, he was in SFARTAETC train up. A great guy, his picture hangs in the hall of heroes here in the box in Okinawa.

RIP Brother.

I'm pretty sure there is also an airfield named after him in an un-named location.

My avatar is the symbol for his old team, the one I am currently on, he may be gone from here, but he is definitely not forgotten.
Old 07-19-2005, 16:01   #18
Dan
Administrators

County dedicates nature trail to Fallen SF Soldier

RELEASE NUMBER: 050719-04
DATE POSTED: JULY 19, 2005

Quote:
County dedicates nature trail to Fallen SF Soldier
By Sgt. Christopher Stanis
1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) Public Affairs

PUYALLUP, Wash. (July 19, 2005) — Pierce County Parks and Recreations carved the name of a local hero in stone July 18 with a nature trail dedication to Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Chapman at the South Hill Community Park.

Chapman, a 1st Special Forces Group Soldier and long-time resident of Puyallup, was the first service member to die from enemy fire in Afghanistan.

The dedication ceremony included comments from local political leaders as well as Maj. Guy LeMire, the 1st SF Group executive officer and former team leader of Chapman.

LeMire did not want to talk about how Chapman died, but how he lived. He was a dedicated Soldier, but he was also a dedicated husband and father of two young children.

“Nate served as a touchstone for everyone around him,” said Lemire. “He set himself apart even more from the already elite.”

Following the comments, a bronze plaque with Chapman’s military biography was unveiled. The plaque sits atop a stone wall that reads “Nathan Chapman Memorial Trail.” This is the entrance to the two-and-a-half-mile trail.

Friends of Chapman said the trail and its location is a fitting dedication for the type of man he was.

“The beauty and Solitude of the trail embodies everything Nate enjoyed,” said Master Sgt. Chris Heim, a friend and former teammate of the honored Soldier.

A man who was in tune with nature and the outdoors, Chapman thrived on physical competition.

“Nobody was more competitive, more dominant or more consistently proficient as Nate Chapman,” said LeMire.

It was only too often that LeMire would hear, “Sir, we have a long way to go to be like Nate.”

The Soldiers attending the ceremony said it meant a lot to see the community where Chapman lived, and his family still lives, honor the Green Beret.

“It’s touching,” said Master Sgt. John Iliff, a former team sergeant of Chapman’s. “It makes us happy to see that the people of this community care.”
Everyone, everywhere in the world may have their own heroes, but if the citizens of Pierce County are asked they can say, “We now have a hero.”

-usasoc-
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:07   #19
Pattaya
Quiet Professional

Rest easy Nate. It was good being in C/3/1 with you.

Gone but never forgotten
Old 12-29-2008, 09:50   #20
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Posted on behalf of Nate's Father, an email for all of us to share. TS

I am Will Chapman father of SFC Nathan R. Chapman. I have not visited your site before, but today I had a Google alert email indicating a hit on his name and it led me to your site. I was very moved by the comments that were left there regarding our son Nate.

I wanted to let you know that we live in Georgetown, TX and our community raised money to build a memorial to local soldiers who have fallen in the War on Terror. The centerpiece of this memorial is a life size bronze statue of Nate. MG (now LTG) David Fridovich was the keynote speaker at the dedication ceremony for the memorial on September 11, 2006. Gen Fridovich was commander of 1st SFG at the time Nate was killed. The memorial is a wonderful and lasting tribute to our son, the first American soldier to die from hostile fire in Afghanistan, and to those who have followed him in making the ultimate sacrifice.

If you wish to post this information on your web site, please feel free to do so. Thank you for providing this place in cyber space to honor our Special Forces heroes.

Will Chapman
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02   #21
koz
Quiet Professional

I passed through the airfield at Khowst which named in memory/honor of Nate.

Here's the picture of the sign
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chapman sign.jpg (37.8 KB, 119 views)
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59   #22
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

RIP,Warrior............

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 18:37   #23
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In Peace SFC Chapman!
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 20:32   #24
mcarey
Quiet Professional

Nate will never be forgotten by myself or any other of his teammates. He, like most of our fallen, was an excellent soldier and professional. He could make you laugh anytime, I miss him. All the best to his family and especially his kids.
mcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 13:24   #25
NSDQ
Guerrilla

Rest in Peace SFC Chapman.

I was living in Houston at the time of SFC Chapman's death. My wife & I were awaiting the arrival of the birth of our second child, a son, when I read about SFC Chapman's death. It struck me with mixed emotion, anger at the way he died, and sadness for his family for their ultimate sacrifice. It grabbed my heart, as it still does even now, the debt we as benefactors of all those that have sacrificed, owe. My gratatiude for those that have made the ultimate sacrifice, and to those that make the living sacrifice of endless schools, deployments, training, training, training, cannot be adequately expressed with my vocabulary.
In this arena my sincerest thanks goes out to all the QP's, Past, Present & Future.
Thank You for what you do, so that my family can walk the streets of America in safety & without fear.

NSDQ
Is not this the fast that I have choosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? When thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Isaiah 58:6,7
NSDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 15:51   #26
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I thought his name sounded familiar. Now having seen his picture, Chapman was in 2/75 the same time I was. From what I remember, he was damn good guy.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:53   #27
Stras
Quiet Professional

RIP

Nate and I were in 2/75 together, went TDY to SFQC with PLDC enroute and had CSM England as the PLDC Asst Commandant, then the SFQC. I lost touch with him after we both graduated.

I remember seeing the photo of his son at the memorial wearing a copy of Nate's Dress Greens.

Fare well Brother,

You are not forgotten.

Stras
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 18:32   #28
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDQ View Post
It struck me with mixed emotion, anger at the way he died, and sadness for his family for their ultimate sacrifice.
It grabbed my heart, as it still does even now, the debt we as benefactors of all those that have sacrificed, owe.

NSDQ
Rest-in-peace, SFC Chapman...

Your service and sacrifice are not forgotten!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50   #29
GRIFFIN
Asset

You are still missed Nate.
Rest In Peace brother
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 16:03   #30
vsvo
Area Commander

RIP SFC Chapman