Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > In Memory Of

Old 05-19-2011, 21:07   #16
KLB
Asset

Gene Vance

Rest in peace.
“For myself, I debarked in the country upon as doleful a frame as I had ever known. The place cheered me. It was like dying and going to hell. Nothing could be worse, so you might as well perk up.” - Slapdash
KLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52   #17
SOFwarrior02
Asset

I was fortunate to work with some of his compatriots in MeS in 2002. He passed one day before my birthday, so his memory is especially one I will never forget. The vehicle (Serf) he was in was an almost exact model our team drove in the area. This was a tragic loss to WV as well as the SOF community. RIP, SSG Vance.
Old 05-19-2012, 17:53   #18
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

Ten years ago today. Lisa and Amber are in our thoughts and prayers.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 18:36   #19
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Salute and RIP SSG Gene Vance. I'm proud to have been a brother in arms with you and 2/19. It seems like yesterday...hard to believe a decade has passed.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:27   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

RIP, Soldier.

Gene Arden Vance, Jr.

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/19th/gen..._vance_kia.htm
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:54   #21
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

RIP brother.

http://www.nsa.gov/about/_files/memorial_wall/vance.pdf

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:56   #22
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Cool story of Gene Vance's legacy

By: Melissa Keeney | WSPA-TV
Published: August 08, 2012

CANTON, N.C. --

Patriotism is personal for Rodney Barnes. "Once you've been in the military, it's something that sticks with you," he says. The veteran has a strong American pride, but he says it was a trip to Myrtle Beach last week that really reminded him what this country's all about. "We were walking along the beach searching for treasures, when Conner, our 10 year old finds the bracelet."

Hidden amongst seashells on the beach, the family found a dark metal bracelet. The inscription: Sgt. Gene A Vance SOT-A, KIA 5-19-02 Afghanistan, 19th Special Forces Group. "The first thing I noticed was it said K-I-A, or killed in action," remembers Barnes. "It immediately struck a chord with me that he gave his life for us, and it was a tribute to him."

Barnes quickly got to work, scouring the internet for information about the soldier. He discovered that Vance, from West Virginia, was killed in a fire fight with the Taliban shortly after troops were first sent into Afghanistan. Barnes suddenly set out on a mission to get the bracelet back to Sergeant Vance's family. "I realized I've got to find these people," he says. Several searches online turned up dead ends. "I was kinda going into a panic," he says. "I'm thinking what can I do, and it hit me. Maybe I'll try Facebook."

Within hours, Barnes posted a picture of the bracelet on his Facebook page, begging for friends and family to share the photo and help him track Vance's relatives down. Soon, the responses started pouring in. "I got replies from people in California, New Hampshire, Texas, Louisiana, Florida," Barnes says, while choking back tears. "It was just awesome. It was that moment that told me that our country still reveres our heroes and loves them for who they are and what they've done."

Quickly, a connection in North Carolina was the one that paid off. "A lady emailed me and said, I've found Lisa Vance, his widow," Rodney says. The next day Barnes contacted Lisa Vance, and told her the story of finding the bracelet. She revealed another twist in the story. "She said you don't know what this means to me. The bracelet is not mine. I'm not the owner. But that someone thought enough of me to do this is overwhelming," Barnes says.

Seven on Your Side got in touch with Vance by phone from Orlando, Florida. She says the response over the bracelet brought her to tears. "It is amazingly wonderful to feel like I just got a big hug from the entire country," she says. "And I really needed it."

Her gratitude is more than enough thanks for Barnes, who says he just wanted to give the hero his own appreciation. "Flowers fade, cards go by the wayside," he says. "But to me, something like this stands. I couldn't think of a better way to say thank you so much."

Barnes plans to mail the bracelet to the widow this week. Vance, who believes it might belong to a member of her late husband's unit, says she will make it her mission to find the owner.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/aug/0...-b-ar-4304081/
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31   #23
SOFwarrior02
Asset

I was in northern Afghanistan with ODA 1962 when word of his passing was made known. It was two days prior to my 25th birthday. The vehicle he was accompanied to rding/driving in was almost identical to the model my TPT was operating in. His passing was a lessons learned moment concerning tactics, techniques, and procedures. We implemented lessons learned and as a result was able to provide a necessary adjust to security procedures in our future operations in theater. He was a wonderful guy from those who knew hime better than I. It is an honor to have known him through his peers. It would have been a further blessing to know him personally. His legacy was instrumental in accomplishing a similiar feat - His presence has been made known to all who inquire. His impact has been far reaching as well and gives hope to those who would be discouraged and those who voice begs to be freed from oppression no matter the plight life has had on them personally! God Bless this man, his family, and the 19th SFG (A) out of the great state of West Virginia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
By: Melissa Keeney | WSPA-TV
Published: August 08, 2012

CANTON, N.C. --

Patriotism is personal for Rodney Barnes. "Once you've been in the military, it's something that sticks with you," he says. The veteran has a strong American pride, but he says it was a trip to Myrtle Beach last week that really reminded him what this country's all about. "We were walking along the beach searching for treasures, when Conner, our 10 year old finds the bracelet."

Hidden amongst seashells on the beach, the family found a dark metal bracelet. The inscription: Sgt. Gene A Vance SOT-A, KIA 5-19-02 Afghanistan, 19th Special Forces Group. "The first thing I noticed was it said K-I-A, or killed in action," remembers Barnes. "It immediately struck a chord with me that he gave his life for us, and it was a tribute to him."

Barnes quickly got to work, scouring the internet for information about the soldier. He discovered that Vance, from West Virginia, was killed in a fire fight with the Taliban shortly after troops were first sent into Afghanistan. Barnes suddenly set out on a mission to get the bracelet back to Sergeant Vance's family. "I realized I've got to find these people," he says. Several searches online turned up dead ends. "I was kinda going into a panic," he says. "I'm thinking what can I do, and it hit me. Maybe I'll try Facebook."

Within hours, Barnes posted a picture of the bracelet on his Facebook page, begging for friends and family to share the photo and help him track Vance's relatives down. Soon, the responses started pouring in. "I got replies from people in California, New Hampshire, Texas, Louisiana, Florida," Barnes says, while choking back tears. "It was just awesome. It was that moment that told me that our country still reveres our heroes and loves them for who they are and what they've done."

Quickly, a connection in North Carolina was the one that paid off. "A lady emailed me and said, I've found Lisa Vance, his widow," Rodney says. The next day Barnes contacted Lisa Vance, and told her the story of finding the bracelet. She revealed another twist in the story. "She said you don't know what this means to me. The bracelet is not mine. I'm not the owner. But that someone thought enough of me to do this is overwhelming," Barnes says.

Seven on Your Side got in touch with Vance by phone from Orlando, Florida. She says the response over the bracelet brought her to tears. "It is amazingly wonderful to feel like I just got a big hug from the entire country," she says. "And I really needed it."

Her gratitude is more than enough thanks for Barnes, who says he just wanted to give the hero his own appreciation. "Flowers fade, cards go by the wayside," he says. "But to me, something like this stands. I couldn't think of a better way to say thank you so much."

Barnes plans to mail the bracelet to the widow this week. Vance, who believes it might belong to a member of her late husband's unit, says she will make it her mission to find the owner.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/aug/0...-b-ar-4304081/
Old 08-13-2012, 15:04   #24
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFwarrior02 View Post
I was in northern Afghanistan with ODA 1962 when word of his passing was made known. It was two days prior to my 25th birthday. The vehicle he was accompanied to rding/driving in was almost identical to the model my TPT was operating in. His passing was a lessons learned moment concerning tactics, techniques, and procedures. We implemented lessons learned and as a result was able to provide a necessary adjust to security procedures in our future operations in theater. He was a wonderful guy from those who knew hime better than I. It is an honor to have known him through his peers. It would have been a further blessing to know him personally. His legacy was instrumental in accomplishing a similiar feat - His presence has been made known to all who inquire. His impact has been far reaching as well and gives hope to those who would be discouraged and those who voice begs to be freed from oppression no matter the plight life has had on them personally! God Bless this man, his family, and the 19th SFG (A) out of the great state of West Virginia!
SOF- you hit the nail on the head. I knew Gene from the civilian side, and he was held in high regard by those who had the pleasure of knowing him. I'm continually amazed by the sheer number of people who knew him or knew of him.
Old 08-16-2012, 18:33   #25
theBilldoman
Asset

I never had to opportunity to me Gene but so long as my ruck sits in that team room I will ensure all incoming personnel know of his sacrifice. RIP and Montani Semper Liberi, Brother.
theBilldoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 16:12   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

A message from Gene's brother:

I would like to let everyone know about the upcoming 6th Gene Vance Jr. Day in Morgantown, WV on May 18th. The event is to honor all of our veterans, first responders and defenders. I hope some of you can make it. Here is some information about the day:

http://www.genevancejr.org/genevancejrday2017

http://www.genevancejr.org/gvjd-program-2017

Thank you all so much for your service to our country.