Old 01-24-2004, 19:03   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Romero, Daniel A., SFC, SF

April 17, 2002

BOB SCHAFFER
COLORADO

RECOGNIZING SERGEANT 1ST CLASS DANIEL AARON ROMERO FROM LONGMONT, COLORADO

Mr. Speaker, it is with a heavy heart and a tremendous amount of respect and admiration that I rise today to honor the tragic, yet heroic death of Colorado Army National Guard Sergeant 1st Class, Daniel Aaron Romero. On April 15, 2002, near Qandahar, Afghanistan, Sergeant Romero gave his life for his country, while fighting the battle against the evils of terrorism during Operation Noble Eagle. Upon reflection of his life and service to this nation, we have come to know Sergeant Daniel Romero as a man who loved his family, loved his home state of Colorado, and loved his country.

Born in Longmont, CO, Daniel was the only son of proud parents, Michael and Geralyn Romero. While earning his living as a Colorado rancher, Daniel decided to concurrently serve with the Colorado Army National Guard in 1991.

Sergeant Romero rose through the ranks of the Colorado Army National Guard, receiving the Army Service Ribbon, Non-Commissioned Officers Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, and the Colorado Service Ribbon with device. Eventually, Sergeant Romero became a member of the select B/5-19th Special Forces Group, headquartered in Pueblo, CO. This elite group of soldiers is known for parachuting at high altitudes, rappelling from helicopters face first, and furtively permeating enemy lines. In December of 2001, he was placed on active duty to serve in Operation Noble Eagle.

Sergeant Daniel Romero is survived by his wife Stephanie, Mother Geralyn, Father Michael, and sisters Gabrielle and Stephanie. I am sure I speak for this entire nation when I say our thoughts and prayers go out to the Romero family. May God send His grace upon them during the time of this tragic loss, and may Daniel’s bravery and selflessness become the proud example for all those actively serving in America’s War Against Terrorism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg romero_sml.jpg (4.7 KB, 143 views)
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 22:41   #2
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Dan's Cross

I finally found were I had put this picture. It's SFC Romero's cross that the team 18C and I put together. He did the art work and I wrote the words. It wasn't much but it was the best we could come up with at the time. No one, including Dan, it turned out, knew Dan's widow was pregnant and miscarried until she told everyone at his funeral. When we heard about that back in A-Stan we agreed to give him credit for being a dad and so put it on there. The team carried his cross up and placed it on top of "Prudential" which overlooked Camp Gecko (that was the name when we were there). The cross has since been recovered by some of our brethren, from which group I don't know, and returned to B/5/19 down at Fort Carson. It's a bit weathered but now stands at the armory entrance along with a portrait and small statue of Dan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dans Cross3.jpg (66.3 KB, 377 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 17:18   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

That's a beautiful cross and tribute, TOMAHAWK9521. Glad you were able to find the picture and post it after all these years.

May SFC Romero Rest in Peace.
Old 10-01-2009, 18:00   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
That's a beautiful cross and tribute, TOMAHAWK9521. Glad you were able to find the picture and post it after all these years.

May SFC Romero Rest in Peace.
Totally agree with Gypsy, it is a very befitting monument to this Warrior......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 06-27-2010 at 13:42.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 19:05   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

RIP and thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 20:35   #6
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 20:56   #7
rltipton

That's beautiful, Tomahawk. Rest in peace, Dan. Thank you for your service.
Old 10-02-2009, 00:55   #8
wet dog

SFC Romero

Tomahawk and I have been sharing PM's about Dan, both he and I served with Dan. While Dan is gone, his memory, friendship is not forgotten.

Thank you all for remembering him.

WD
Old 10-02-2009, 04:07   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:32   #10
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

R.I.P. SFC Romero. Thank You.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:19   #11
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In Peace SFC!!

Thank you for your service and sacrifice!!
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:06   #12
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Firebase Romero

I remember when we named FB Romero. this sign was there when we left.
I know where the flag in the picture is but not sure where the sign is now. If anyone knows, I would like to recover it and get it back to the Armory in Colorado.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5 094.jpg (69.9 KB, 195 views)

American on the inside, useful on the outside

Last edited by cat in the hat; 06-27-2010 at 08:09.
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39   #13
GSquared
Asset

When I got to 19th Group, I noticed that SFC Romero was a very highly regarded NCO, and have had a lot of respect for him and his family. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

RIP, SFC Romero.
GSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 13:30   #14
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Sad anniversery

we had a small ceremony today at B CO, 5 19th for Dan. those that knew him well shared some stories and memories.
I know there are several members here who were team mates. thought you would like to know that he was well remembered here.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12   #15
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
we had a small ceremony today at B CO, 5 19th for Dan. those that knew him well shared some stories and memories.
I know there are several members here who were team mates. thought you would like to know that he was well remembered here.
Damn. If I had known you guys were doing anything for Dan I would have driven down from Ft Collins. Still, I raised a glass of fine Irish Whiskey as I remembered him.