Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 05-09-2011, 15:48   #256
SpikedBuck
Legacy

Thanks

Team,

I wanted to thank you all for your kind words in honor of my Father. It has been two and half years since his passing, and we continue to find more and more kind words from all of you and that means a great deal to us.

I was wishing my Mom a Happy Mother's Day tonight (belated, of course, as I am in Iraq) and she commented to me that a Family friend in Vermont had recently googled Dad and found all your thoughts and memorials and he shared them with her. She asked me about it tonight on the phone (Mom's not too keen on using the computer).

It is still very impressive to go through all the posts and re-read Bulldog stories. Interestingly, tonight, I re-read a article he wrote for the Rutland Hearld in 2007 on Veteran's Day that was true Dad....right on the money. Seems to have a different meaning to me now...anyway, just wanted to say thank you.

Dan Moroney
SpikedBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:03   #257
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedBuck View Post
Team,

I wanted to thank you all for your kind words in honor of my Father. It has been two and half years since his passing, and we continue to find more and more kind words from all of you and that means a great deal to us.

I was wishing my Mom a Happy Mother's Day tonight (belated, of course, as I am in Iraq) and she commented to me that a Family friend in Vermont had recently googled Dad and found all your thoughts and memorials and he shared them with her. She asked me about it tonight on the phone (Mom's not too keen on using the computer).

It is still very impressive to go through all the posts and re-read Bulldog stories. Interestingly, tonight, I re-read a article he wrote for the Rutland Hearld in 2007 on Veteran's Day that was true Dad....right on the money. Seems to have a different meaning to me now...anyway, just wanted to say thank you.

Dan Moroney
Dan,
Thank you for writing this.
I think about your Dad often and greatly miss him.

Stay safe out there!
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:07   #258
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Dan,

I had the honor of having dinner with your parents at their home several years ago. Your Dad was awfully proud of you. Thanks for dropping in and don't be a stranger!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 17:08   #259
Gypsy
Area Commander

Dan, never met your father but thoroughly enjoyed reading his words of wit, wisdom, and interacting with him here. He is sorely missed.

Be well, be safe and let us know how you're doing or if you need anything at all.

Best regards to you and your mom and family.
Old 05-09-2011, 18:46   #260
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Dan:

If you are half the soldier your father was, your unit is very lucky to have you.

I served with the Colonel before and would have been proud to do it again anytime, anywhere.

He left us too soon, but he is remembered well. You honor him.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 16:13   #261
Gypsy
Area Commander

I know it's a bit early, but especially during this time of the year I think of the Colonel and his family.

You are missed, Sir...
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09   #262
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Dan,

I've never had the honor of personally meeting your father,however he and I had something very much in common,it was the game of Hockey........ We exchanged many PM's remembering the old days when we were young and how it has changed over the years.. Good luck inside the wire and stay safe.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 10-24-2011 at 12:58.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:45   #263
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
I know it's a bit early, but especially during this time of the year I think of the Colonel and his family.

You are missed, Sir...
Yes, this is the time I think of Col Moroney. Fall in the North East is a time of excitement and preparing for the snows of winter. I grew up in snow country, and the pics around the Col. house always remind me of home. We were blessed here at ps.com with the wisdom of our Col.. I find myself looking over posts, I don't think I am alone in that.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 15:30   #264
2018commo
Quiet Professional

It seems when I search for something on this site, more often than not the Good Colonel had chimed in with an answer previously or sometimes had asked a better question.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 21:24   #265
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Col Jack Moroney

I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking of the Col tonight.

RIP Sir.
Old 10-16-2012, 17:06   #266
Gypsy
Area Commander

Yes, this time of the year triggers strong memories of the Colonel. You are missed, Sir. Hope you are enjoying some fine Whiskey whilst looking down on us all.
Old 10-16-2012, 17:49   #267
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Yes, this time of the year triggers strong memories of the Colonel. You are missed, Sir. Hope you are enjoying some fine Whiskey whilst looking down on us all.
Concur

The Colonel provided some great shots of fall leaves up north
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2074.jpg (27.3 KB, 80 views)

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:29   #268
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Concur

The Colonel provided some great shots of fall leaves up north
I miss those too. And the winter pictures with the deer...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:11   #269
bandycpa
Guerrilla Chief

I was reading through my PM's from COL Jack and came across this story he shared with me. I had asked him about his leadership style and methods. He was always kind enough to answer questions like that...even from a civilian like me.

I miss him.

The Story goes as follows:

"I was always approachable and I was always tested by each unit to which I was assigned. For instance, in the second SF company I took command of I had a senior NCO come up to me, take out his knife while saying, "Hey Sir, I see you are a mountain climber cause you got that big old rope hanging from the patch on your sleeve" As it was, there was a thread that I had failed to notice that was loose from freshly sewn on patches which is normally something that folks get "gigged" for in inspections as a lack of attention to detail. This sergeant was going to show me that his standards were higher than mine, and that I wasn't going to be able to get away with such an "infraction" of his standards. So I told him, "Damn, you are right! Why don't you remove that rope and while you obviously share that same level of interest in mountaineering by being able to identify that object as a climbing rope, after you remove it, take it over there to that hand rail and properly store it for me by securing it with a bowline knot and don't forget to throw on the safety half-hitch" Well you obviously cannot tie anything that is 2" long around a 4x4 railing. After the change of command was over, he sheepishly came into my office, apologized for being a jerk, and invited me to come over to the team room to relax with the team and share some of my goals for the unit. The bottom line is that you can never take yourself too seriously, you have to maintain your sense of humor, and never let anyone think you are not in charge. But you also have to clearly lay out to all the mission and vision you see for the organization, what your expectations are of them, what they can expect from you, and who exactly you are and how you are going to operate."
Old 01-26-2013, 18:46   #270
booker
Guerrilla

Great story, Bandy. I miss his insights, and wonder what interesting things he would have had to say about all the events unfolding these days.