Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 03-09-2012, 23:44   #376
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

I figure it's an appropriate point to relay this experience.

I recently had to move from AK to NV... 2 vehicle convoy, pickup towing our trailer, blazer just on its own.

Ended up having the rear U-joint on the rear driveline break in two.... in the middle of bum-f Canada.

So, although the driveline was still working but with a nasty clunk... ended up stopping on the roadside at a pullout, jacking up the rear end to get some play in the driveline through the slack in the rear suspension, and disconnecting the entire rear driveline.

It's a press-fit on the actual driveline for the front U-joint, and with it being a slip yoke I couldn't leave it on the transfer case because it'd fall right out.

Put a pan out, collected all the fluid that came out of the transfer case... and rigged up a cover for the rear output with electrical tape, 550 cord, then re-filled the transfer case as best I could given it being a roadside repair.

Put the transfer case in 4 wheel High, and continued on the drive with no ill effects and no leaking worth discussion... Was rather proud of myself.

The next town we got into, we spent the night in a NAPA service shop's parking lot considering we pulled in at about 0300. 0700 rolls around, they open up. Not able to get the proper U-joint, but they improved on my repair with a rubber cap from... well, I don't know, but this rubber cap when anchored with a pipe clamp fits perfectly and is now in the vehicular repair pelican we keep in the truck at all times... if we have an issue again, we have that for an emergency repair if necessary.

Ended up getting the driveline repaired in Prince George at a gear and driveline shop... they had the parts on-hand, and also fixed a couple other things for free.

So, if you have rear driveline issues that deadline a 4wd truck, consider pulling the driveline and covering up the tail housing, then continuing in 4x4 high... it'll work on the trail and it'll work on the road.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40   #377
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
TF Kilo that brought back memories of Kansas in the middle of the night. The rear differential exploded in my old trooper. After taking out the drive shaft I was able to limp into one of the next towns where they did have to remove gears and weld the axle together . That patch was made by packing grease around what was left and covering all with Spray Foam insulation and duct tape, made it back to NC that way.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44   #378
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Broken Clutch Cable - 65 Chevy Corvair

I had a '65 Chevy Corvair Corsa - swear I'm not dating myself. I just appreciate old American cars. I joined a local Corvair Club and spent many Saturday afternoons learning from the wise men that were gracious and patient enough to take a 16 yr old kid into their fold. Today, I'm driving a '72 Chevy C-10 a couple times a week, too - belonged to my grand father.

Anyway, I was 16 and on a date with a retired Gunny Sgt's daughter and he said to have her home by 9 PM - he really meant 8:59. On our way back to her house I pressed the clutch to shift from 3rd to 4th, will never forget that, and felt a pop and then the pedal fall all the way to floor board. I also felt my heart sink. I was screwed. I didn't have a cell phone. I didn't have hardly a soul around me other than Kristin, reminding me how much her daddy was gonna kill us both if she were late. It was getting close to 9 PM.

To this day, I firmly believe he would've killed me first and spared her life and used me as the example. As experience would have it, I paid attention on a transmission rebuild/install and remembered where the cable ran underneath the floor. I had my tool box in the trunk (front of the car) and began ripping up carpet with an old Case XX.

The cable was shot. Completely frayed. However, I had just enough slack that I could rig it up around my Phillips head screwdriver. Taking what little slack remained, I wrapped the cable around the base plate of my shifter and limped us back home. I grinded a few gears, but as they say - If you can't find 'em, grind 'em.

For those interested, I got her home a few minutes late. He was waiting outside and after admiring my determination to get his daughter home, I was granted an execution stay. Thank God. I'm alive to tell the story.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:26   #379
czs21
Asset

Warts

I've only ever been cursed by warts on one occasion. My right ring finger had a wart about 3/16 of an inch in diameter. What to do what to do. It was the summer before Freshman year of college and arriving at my first non-family place(I'm from Appalachia, what can I say) to meet women, I did not want this wart around. I figured that chemicals or other treatments would take to darn long. With a little bit of do now: think later spirit, I fetched the soldering iron. It took two 'treatments' because the first one failed to go all the way to the base of the wart. The good news was it worked and there was no blood due to the instantaneous cauterization. The bad news is, I swear the garage still smells like burnt skin.

On a side note, if you're in a situation that pits you with just a chainsaw against a rattler that has become a bit to comfortable with tree you're hanging in, make sure you turn the saw upside down so the chain isn't pulling the snake towards you...
Old 02-22-2013, 19:25   #380
jzachariahg
Asset

Getting rid of the bad ones

Being from the south, we have pine trees and the limbs start growing at a height that is rather high, to get around this problem, we take a ball that is heavy enough to have a good deal of kinetic energy when thrown, but also to be able to be thrown, a croquet ball works great, and then bore a small hole through the center. Take a 30' piece of paracord or something similiar and thread it through then tie it off. Then attach a chainsaw blade to the end of the paracord, and then add another long peice of paracord and tie that to the end. Then take the ball and sling it over the tree limb as close as possible to the trunk of the tree and have two people who do a sort of back and forth sawing motion and cut off the limb, try and ensure that the chainsaw blade is straight or it will not cut. I also have two creative weapons that can be used as a last resort, a water bottle, when full of water makes a wonderful baton since water does not condense. A knife can be made by cracking a cd or dvd in half and then wrapping cloth of some sort around one half for the handle.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48   #381
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Bullet Trap / Back Stop

I built this bullet trap in the back yard to do some testing before the full range goes into place.
6"x6"x12' Treated posts set in concrete, 8' above grade.
Rubber roofing membrane stapled to posts, front and back.
3/4"x4'x8' Treated plywood mounted to back of posts.
2"x10"x4' Pine boards lag bolted to front of posts.
Fill Structure with dry sand.
Structure Is capped and treated with exterior deck stain.

Tested range is from 5m to 75m.
Tested ammunition: 22lr, 9mm, .357, 45ACP, .223, .308, 30-06, 7.62x39, 5.56 NATO, 7.62NATO, 12ga 3" Magnum. Multiple hits.

Results: All rounds were trapped within back stop except for test rounds (7.62x39) near bottom sides where 6"x6" posts meet sand cavity.

The rubber membrane was used to prevent sand from leaving cavity.
The boards mounted to front of back stop can be replaced due to wear.

I will continue to post pics of construction and modifications.

BT1.jpg

BT2.jpg

BT3.jpg

BT4.jpg

Last edited by Go Devil; 03-12-2013 at 05:08. Reason: Added pictures and notes.
Go Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31   #382
medic&commo
Quiet Professional

Stories from PI

Maybe these are old news to some, but when I went over to PI to meet my wife's family I saw a few unique ways of solving everyday problems:
1. Fishing
Go to the rice paddies with all the villagers, bring a generator & pump.
Pump out most of the water.
Have the women take butterfly nets and scoop all the shrimp from around the edges.
Guys get in & scoop up the mudfish with your hands.
Have a feast (don't bother to cook the shrimp).

2. Flashlight breaks (rusted switch inside).
Take a burned out bulb, cut & flatten the metal base to a thin strip.
Insert inside handle, covering rusted area.
Presto, light works.

3. Recycling nails
Insure you leave nail heads sticking out slightly.
To pull out, without bending -
wrap cord around one block of wood, leaving 1 end free.
wrap the end around nail & back around block.
place 2nd block near nail.
twist 1st block over 2nd block, until nail pulls out.

4. Adjusting Water hose length
Take used, spent bicycle inner tubes, cut into strips.
Have several short copper pipes the same diameter as hose pieces.
Connect hoses with pipe, wrap & secure with rubber tubing.

5. "Scrubbing" pots / wooden floors
Take sand and coconut shells, in the place of cleanser.
Without the sand, shells work great as a floor polisher.

6. Shampoo / conditioner
Women use squeezings from shredded coconut for hair care.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31   #383
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Men of Tools: An old machine shop

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BckZ4i1...layer_embedded

Don't get no better than these men!!

BMT
Old 04-09-2013, 20:22   #384
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

BMT
Brother, that was a helluva story, and it made me proud to be an American.

What a great family, and they are creating a legacy.

Them, and people like them, DID build this country.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 21:47   #385
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Brother, that was a helluva story, and it made me proud to be an American.
Me too....that's a great profile of the Carpenter family.

I know these types of businesses exist everywhere across our land. I wish we saw more of these profiled on TV, vs our current crop of slutty slug-fests, also known as "reality shows".

Yeah, I know I'm boring...
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 22:02   #386
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:

BMT
EXCELLENT story.

Thanks for the find. I will be sharing this.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:39   #387
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:

BMT
Thanks. That made me home sick.....

That is what makes our country great......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:16   #388
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Thanks, This is what it's all about.

Hard work and family,,

The American Way..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:10   #389
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
So I am curious with regards to the subject of building a rope bridge across say a ravine or fast-moving body of water, but how does one get the bridge to the other side? And for sizeable spans in particular, how do they do this? (like where you have a rope bridge going over a huge canyon?).
You need a volunteer.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46   #390
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Then....

you put out security....
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote