Quiet Professional

Who serves in the military?

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive...e-military.php

The comments aren't bad either.

BMT
Old 07-28-2013, 17:25   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

None of that surprises me. When I graduated HS (in Iowa) the draft was over and if you did not have to go why would you. Decent factory jobs were available for HS grads and I got a very good job at the age of eighteen working at Proctor and Gamble but you might as well have been sending me to prison for eight hours a day. I quit and enlisted in the Army and it was where I belonged. I grew up a lot during the four years that I served. I advanced as far as I could as fast as I could and then I got out. I am glad to hear that it is hard to get into the service, this was not exactly the case right after Vietnam. We do not need soldiers who do not have their hearts and minds in the right place.
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51   #3
hooah12
Asset

Also not surprised

Not surprised at all, from the people I've worked with this is pretty much exactly what I could've guessed. One of my best NCOs fits the description perfectly. A MSG from the Southeast from a pretty wealthy family who signed up because he wanted to serve and then decided to stay until he wasn't enjoying it anymore. As an 11Z he's still having plenty of fun though.

Definitely a cool article though. Thanks for sharing!

"The reason the Middle East is so f*cked up is because no one there eats bacon. What's wrong with them? Who the f*ck doesn't eat bacon?"
-An SF Officer who shall remain unnamed
hooah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44   #4
Stargazer
Guerrilla

Not surprising in social/economic but some of the individual state ratios were interesting.
"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.. a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."~ Hub
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote