Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-26-2013, 10:22   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Pentagon Mulling Separate Combat Training For Men, Women

Guess we'll be sending men and women to different wars, too, IAW the parameters of their combat training - a "Tier 1 SF Bn" (male) for Syria and a "Tier 2 SF Bn" (Female) for Aruba?

Richard

WashTimes, 25 July 2013

The military is looking at ways to modify its training for women to help them qualify for direct ground combat roles in the infantry, tanks and special operations.

Senior officers revealed the new effort this week at a hearing of the House Armed Services subcommittee on personnel.

The armed services have pledged that their standards for ground combat and commando operations will be the same for men and women.

But now commanders are raising the possibility of a two-tiered training system.

The idea was presented by Rep. Niki Tsongas.

“To put in place a training regimen that is ill-suited to maximizing the success of women is not really the outcome any of us want to see,” she said.

Army Lt. Gen. Howard Bromberg, deputy chief of staff for personnel, agreed.

“We are looking at that, and we’re not looking at it just for the integration of women,” Gen. Bromberg testified. “We’re looking at it for the total soldier, because just as you have a 110-pound male who may lack some type of physiological capability or physical capability, he or she may both need to be trained differently. We’re trying to expand our understanding of how we train.”

Lt. Gen. Robert Milstead Jr., deputy Marine Corps commandant for manpower, put forward a pitch for gender-segregated boot camp. The Corps is the only service that has maintained gender-segregated initial training.

“I think an excellent example of what you’re talking about is our gender-separated boot camp,” Gen. Milstead testified. “We don’t start teaching the [occupations] there. Our boot camp is about the transformation of individuals, men and women, from being a civilian to being a United States Marine. We have it separated for that reason, because we feel that this transformation, it goes on a separate track. It needs to be handled different.

“They need to be nurtured different. They just need different steps as they go. They end up in the same place, the United States Marines.”

The Marine Corps has charged to the front of the women-in-combat issue by asking female officer volunteers to try to complete the officer combat qualification course at the base in Quantico, Va.

Women are expected to perform the same tasks as men. All six women who have entered the course have dropped out due to injury or failure to complete the course.

The Pentagon lifted the ban on women in direct combat roles in January. The services and U.S. Special Operations Command are studying combat standards to validate or change them before a decision is made to move women into those roles in January 2016.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2aAXnlPOy
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:26   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Why not do the same for the handicapped and special needs citizens and make them Spec Ops soldiers as well?

These idiots making the rules without any real knowledge of ground combat are going to be responsible when we lose the next war.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36   #3
spherojon
Guerrilla

One word: Politics.

Maybe we will get a movie sequel to J.I. Jane.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29   #4
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Is anyone really surprised that they are headed this way? I mean, come on, Dempsey and Odierno (among others)?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:13   #5
98G
bonum medicina malis locis

Operation Aruba is Calling

At first I thought, this just gets dumber or it is another Duffleblog. But no, when training is already under-funded, our bloated Federal budget is a joke of program and discretionary spend that is woefully out of date, elected officials spend more time raising campaign money than doing their jobs, they have time to meet and discuss asinine ideas? But then.. it makes sense. Lower standards, better locations. After all, we can't risk sending sub standard combat troops to military hot spots, but what about to civilian hot spots? Those cocktails can be lethal and navigating the bar scene comes with its own hazards.

Aruba? Genius.

Too bad I passed the age limit. I could really stand to deploy to Aruba for a while.

Sometimes, being female can really pay off. Must go train and get a fake birth certificate. Hope I get credit for prior service and keep some rank.

The two easiest things to spend; someone else's time and someone else's money.
98G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 14:18   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The idea was presented by Rep. Niki Tsongas.

“To put in place a training regimen that is ill-suited to maximizing the success of women is not really the outcome any of us want to see,” she said.

Army Lt. Gen. Howard Bromberg, deputy chief of staff for personnel, agreed.
I promise - Scout's Honor - I did NOT skip out on English and go surfin'...

That poorly written crap up there isn't gonna yield their next catch slogan...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 16:14   #7
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I promise - Scout's Honor - I did NOT skip out on English and go surfin'...

That poorly written crap up there isn't gonna yield their next catch slogan...
US Army -Maximizing the success of women since February 6, 1775

SnT

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 16:28   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

Any Officer or NCO that supports 'separate but equal' training should be shot at dawn...if not earlier.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:49   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

At least we will have a front seat watching this joke unfold.....

No leadership in the WH and apparently none in the Pentagon either.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 13:38   #10
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I'd like to say I'm surprised.
I'd like to. But I'm not.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 13:41   #11
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Separate but equal.... Wasn't that tried before some where and failed according to the SC?????
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 13:54   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoering View Post
Separate but equal.... Wasn't that tried before some where and failed according to the SC?????
No kidding...I hope someone in authority that thinks this stupid puts that old term to use.
There is no such thing as 'separate but equal' when the command atmosphere, environment, weather, and cadre are different. None.
I cannot imagine the nut rolls MACOM Commanders and Staff have to respond to in this Obama age.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 14:24   #13
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
There is no such thing as 'separate but equal' when the command atmosphere, environment, weather, and cadre are different. None.
I cannot imagine the nut rolls MACOM Commanders and Staff have to respond to in this Obama age.
It's not just the Obama age. This silly shit has been going on for 20 years, if not a little longer. The "Everyone is equal, everyone is a winner, we'll adjust the rules to the individual" stuff makes no sense to me. It's right up there with "fairness." Well, if something is fair (using the liberal definition of level playing field and all things equal), there can never be a winner or loser. Anything that has a winner or loser, or any kind of ranking system can never be completely fair. Someone will always have an advantage. Smarter, faster, stronger, whatever it may be.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 14:36   #14
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Team View Post
It's not just the Obama age. This silly fantage has been going on for 20 years, if not a little longer. The "Everyone is equal, everyone is a winner, we'll adjust the rules to the individual" stuff makes no sense to me. It's right up there with "fairness." Well, if something is fair (using the liberal definition of level playing field and all things equal), there can never be a winner or loser. Anything that has a winner or loser, or any kind of ranking system can never be completely fair. Someone will always have an advantage. Smarter, faster, stronger, whatever it may be.
As long as we have Social Engineers there will always be an effort to handicap the score in order to even the playing field.
Old 07-27-2013, 15:19   #15
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Just remember - this is all being pushed by the same people who thought the school Debate Team deserved the same Varsity Letter as the Football Team.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote