Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 13:41   #796
Holyfire23
Asset

Surviving Hell: A POW's Journey by Leo Thorsness

A very inspiring account of an Air Force Major who was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967. His book is short---only 127 pages---but I found it very inspiring. This book made me chuckle more than once which is ironic given the subject matter. He focuses a lot on the banter between him and his cell mates, as well as the little things which kept them sane while in captivity. It's amazing how they kept their sense of humor intact over all those years of torture. It really solidifies the importance of humor in the face of apparent hopelessness/danger.

For those who have read this book or will read this book, my favorite chapter is chapter fifteen. I won't saying anything more.

EDIT: I should also mention that he received the Medal of Honor for a mission he flew just days before he was shot down.

Last edited by Holyfire23; 07-28-2011 at 15:21.
Old 07-28-2011, 17:38   #797
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

A Purple Place for Dying- #3 in the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald. I've got them all, and am reading them in order. They take me back!
Old 08-03-2011, 21:22   #798
mojaveman
Area Commander

"Flying Tigers" by Daniel Ford.

The truth isn't quite up there with the legend but what they were really was a group of hard drinking, hard fighting, good 'ol Americans.

Last edited by mojaveman; 08-30-2011 at 12:30.
Old 08-03-2011, 21:54   #799
Smokey01
Asset

What I am currently reading...

Greetings everyone,
truthfully, I am reading articles, threads, and posts on this site during certain times in the day to gain knowledge that I know will help me in everyday life. What better way to gain insight and advice than to visit the threads posted by the great individuals who run this site. I've also been reading "Six Ways In And Twelve Ways Out." For those of you interested in bush-raft and survival training, I recommend this booklet to you. If you have any questions regarding this booklet or any others like it, feel free to message me.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11   #800
SPC_Warren
Asset

Finished in the last six months or so

-The Three Meter Zone

-Horse Soldiers

-The Only Thing Worth Dying For

-Chosen Soldier

-Lone Survivor
Old 08-30-2011, 10:18   #801
Richard
Quiet Professional

Against All Enemies (Clancy), Mouse Guard (Petersen), Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut).
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58   #802
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green - Johnny Rico
Old 08-30-2011, 15:49   #803
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Reading "Go to the Widow-Maker" by James Jones.
Old 08-30-2011, 15:57   #804
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Popol Vuh
Translated by Dennis Tedlock
Old 08-30-2011, 16:07   #805
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Jack Dale,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dale View Post
Dozier, I agree with you and want to make two points:

One, maybe the thread should be, "what are you reading now that you don't have to read and that's blowing your hair back?"

Two, if people are impressed by what I tell 'em I'm reading, maybe I should meet them in person to sell them waterfront property in Nevada.

That being said, a book called (sorry about the title) "Ethical Wisdom," by Mark Matousek is blowing my hair back right now because it's giving me some clues to some pretty troublesome human behavior. I started reading it because I leafed through it in a bookstore and got intrigued. It's much better than I had any right to expect and analyzes why people behave the way they do and believe the things they do. It ain't what you think. If any one wants to be impressed, OK, but I was a little embarrassed to be reading it until I wasn't.

Of course, I'm also reading "Cycle Sluts of Yosemite," but then I've always loved the classics.
That was about 97,000 posts ago on this thread.
That's funny. (I think that was the first time TS called me an a$$hole).

good times

Last edited by Dozer523; 08-30-2011 at 16:12.
Old 09-01-2011, 14:45   #806
Holyfire23
Asset

Meditations on First Philosophy by Rene Descartes
"Where the eye is focused, there the imagination finds its raw material. The right focus must be won at immense cost and discipline. Train the eye to see the good, and the imagination will follow suit."---Ravi Zacharias
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20   #807
Jefe
Auxiliary

Frederick Forsyth

My favorite authors new book: Cobra
Old 09-02-2011, 09:34   #808
wet dog

The Story of Man: An Introduction to 150,000 years of Human History, by Cyril Aydon

Old 09-08-2011, 16:01   #809
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Silence on the Wire: A Field Guide to Passive Reconnaissance and Indirect Attacks by Michal Zalewski
Old 09-08-2011, 18:10   #810
Marauder06
Asset

The Treaty of Westphalia.
Closed Thread