Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-02-2005, 19:04   #16
Hooahman
SF Candidate

I have everything squared away. but I need to shave about .30 off my run so I can Max it (And not have to Die trying) my last PT score was a 306. And I puked after. But I want to get my run time down by .30 before I leave in July.

General Douglas MacAthur
Hooahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:47   #17
Martin

Razor: No, I hadn't. I will try it out when the body has recuperated and I no longer walk like a starched suit.

There's another added benefit to your idea. In my limited experience, movements have become more automatic when performed correctly during (stress and) fatigue.

The reasoning for my setup was that I wanted to concentrate on endurance and I have read that whatever you wanted to be concentrating on should come first. The difference is that that note was in regard to two passes per day.

Regarding H2H, I also do visualization. Instead of completely concentrating on my movements, however, I hold the opponent in a vital role.
Old 03-03-2005, 13:41   #18
Martin

Video recording of, preferbly your own, sparring sessions can be interesting too.
Old 03-03-2005, 13:50   #19
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I started playing with Modern Arnis again, I have done this in the past, but have strayed recently.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 22:52   #20
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Anybody PTing or Hand To Gland in body armor or weighted vests?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:02   #21
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

Does my gut count?

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:36   #22
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Rather than just doing boxing routines on the heavy bag, I've started incorporating some of the WWII combatives strikes into the workout.
What reference are you using?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:37   #23
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

http://tacticalathlete.com/index.htm
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:51   #24
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
We train H2H with gloves ("Combat", made by Fighter. Free fingers on inside, good for grappling and gripping), leg protection (just below the knee and down, with a flap over the foot and fastened below it), suspensor (dick cover), mouth guard.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to fight with a red man suit on, which is complete body armor.

How's your H2H training lined up?
Old 03-05-2005, 13:04   #25
jatx
Area Commander

After beginning to run again for the first time in many years, I found myself getting lots of knee/ankle/hip pains - not major strains but warning signs from all those little stabilizer muscles. To avoid injury, I've cut running back to 3x per week, and am now doing a 2000 meter fin swim 5x per week. The fins (I'm using Zoomers) seem to be increasing my flexibility and joint strength quickly. Plus, they really boost your heart rate in the water.

On top of that, I'm doing a two-day split on free weights - legs/back/biceps 2x per week, and chest/shoulders/tricpes 2x per week with a day of bodyweight-only strength training in between splits. The split program allows me to work opposing muscle groups on successive days. I was using the Kettlebells, but got bored working out by myself at home.

I have lost 20 lbs. in three months this way, and am getting close to my goal.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 13:31   #26
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
We train H2H with gloves ("Combat", made by Fighter. Free fingers on inside, good for grappling and gripping), leg protection (just below the knee and down, with a flap over the foot and fastened below it), suspensor (dick cover), mouth guard.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to fight with a red man suit on, which is complete body armor.

How's your H2H training lined up?
Red Man is not body armor.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:58   #27
Martin

True, didn't think of that context.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:47   #28
Kyobanim

"hit conditioning". Take a 2" diameter wooden dowel, roll it up and down your shins, then bounce it on your shins, strike at the thighs front and side. Repeat process for the forearms. Next stand still with legs slightly apart and take kicks and strikes from a partner blocking only with forearms and shins.

This has taken the 'fear' out of contact for me allowing me to concentrait on the matter at hand. Fear of pain has been a problem for me in the past.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:03   #29
alphamale

Kyobanim that's impressive that you do that.

Stanely White, nifty card trick for pushups!

I have a piece of steel in my right foot that prevents me from keeping it in the standard flexed position during push-ups. It doesn't affect me in walking or biking but it does with pushups. Sometimes I just push-down with the top of my right-foot-toes scrunched up touching the floor, like when I am doing them just to stay awake during or before a looong con call, but that's too off-balance to be really effective. Or I use a low ottoman, but that makes it easier I think.

I've thought about making ankle-holders with nylon straps and Corian at exactly the right height.

FrontSight
Old 03-06-2005, 09:31   #30
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
"hit conditioning". Take a 2" diameter wooden dowel, roll it up and down your shins, then bounce it on your shins, strike at the thighs front and side. Repeat process for the forearms. Next stand still with legs slightly apart and take kicks and strikes from a partner blocking only with forearms and shins.

This has taken the 'fear' out of contact for me allowing me to concentrait on the matter at hand. Fear of pain has been a problem for me in the past.

Tak or Mas?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?