Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 07-16-2016, 20:36   #31
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
But the biggest global equity/bond/commodity markets had just closed.
Not quite following you, mate, unless you are suggesting that Erdogan wanted to make sure that son Bilal's smuggled ISIS oil shipment price was locked in beforehand.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 21:25   #32
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Not quite following you, mate, unless you are suggesting that Erdogan wanted to make sure that son Bilal's smuggled ISIS oil shipment price was locked in beforehand.

Pat
To me, I'm wondering if the timing post market close was done by:

"Middle management military coup" leaders to avoid spooking global markets and evoke a quick sympathetic international response IF successful.

And/or

By Erdogan's team or Erdogan aligned factions to create a "Reichstag Fire" to allow for greater authoritarian crackdown conducted over the non-trading weekend to evoke involuntary support and/or reduce resistance from western trading partners.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 21:45   #33
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
To me, I'm wondering if the timing post market close was done by:

"Middle management military coup" leaders to avoid spooking global markets and evoke a quick sympathetic international response IF successful.

And/or

By Erdogan's team or Erdogan aligned factions to create a "Reichstag Fire" to allow for greater authoritarian crackdown conducted over the non-trading weekend to evoke involuntary support and/or reduce resistance from western trading partners.
Gotcha'! I'm starting to lean towards Door Number Two but, to be honest, hadn't considered Door Number One. Now, is there a Door Number Three?

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Let's Make a Deal.jpg (60.6 KB, 27 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 07-16-2016 at 21:52. Reason: Monte Hall ;)
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:18   #34
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Gotcha'! I'm starting to lean towards Door Number Two but, to be honest, hadn't considered Door Number One. Now, is there a Door Number Three?

Pat
Maybe door #3 is a combination of a failed door #1 quickly followed by an opportunistic "never let a good crisis go to waste" door#2.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:48   #35
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

According to Drudge, a significant purge of the officer corps is currently underway.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 15:54   #36
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernDZ View Post
According to Drudge, a significant purge of the officer corps is currently underway.
Sledgehammer emasculated the Turkish military capability at the senior chain of command level to hit thr Ataturk reboot button.

I'm guessing this will do the same at the middle management level.

That's an incredibly long list of police and military names for arrest.

Then you have the even longer list of judges removed and/or under arrest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUktJbp2Ug

2700+ judges in the first 24 hours. Almost 2 per minute. A cynic might think the list was already made up just waiting for an opportunity to use it.

I'd love to see an unbiased Turk analysis on those judges previous decisions regarding Erdogan's network/cronies in corruption investigation/prosecution.

It sounds like there may be a summit meeting between Erdogan and Putin.

The role Turkish military personnel at Ircirlik Air Base played in the coup could be used by Russia and anti US Turkish elements to portray US involvement and create a bigger wedge between the two countries.

Looking out decades a Russian/Turkish partnership on energy distribution to Western Europe would allow such a partnership to extract an extremely high rent on Western Europe thru a partnered monopoly.

I know Russia and Turkey have historically not gotten on well(that's an understatement). But the profit/power motive would be quite compelling from a non emotional Machiavellian perspective.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:10   #37
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Was watching some of the videos of the coup attempt. They made some very bad mistakes. Indiscriminate killing was a big mistake.

Also saw some idiot walk into the street and stand in the road in front of a fast approaching tank...... (Remember Tiananmen Square?). The tank didn't even slow down........

Can anyone remember conflicts/terrorist acts without muslims involved?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:25   #38
tonyz
Area Commander

In order to have a chance the coup needed, among other things, to disappear Erdoğan and make it look like ISIS.

The insurgency needed to control the media and perhaps plant ISIS threats immediately before the event. The recent airport thing presumably gives such manufactured threats credibility.

The indiscriminate killing by the insurgents pointed out by TS created immediate sympathy for Erdoğan...then, his call to the people to take to the streets...some brown stains in insurgent shorts no doubt.

If you're gonna aim for the king you can't miss...

Now, Erdoğan's purge ain't gonna be pretty.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 19:21   #39
LarryW
Area Commander

Turkey: A New Caliphate

Three months of marshal law and 50K prisoners...could Turkey be positioning itself to become the consolidator of the Sunni's, or the new Caliphate? The EU is not going to be too anxious to spend a lot of money in that hole in the desert and the US is going to be preoccupied with an election year, borders, and immigrating Syrians to give a damn what Turkey does. Just looks like there's more than a failed coup going on.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 18:59   #40
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

LarryW said: " Just looks like there's more than a failed coup going on."

I wonder...
Question about Incirlik Air Base and U.S.... personnel there deleted.

Last edited by Stobey; 07-22-2016 at 19:02.
Stobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 17:24   #41
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Who is being purged?
The purge is so extensive that few believe it was not already planned. And there seems little chance that everyone on the list is a Gulenist.
The sheer numbers are sobering. Some 9,000 people are in custody and many more are out of a job. Although accurate details are difficult to come by, this is the current list:
7,500 soldiers have been detained, including 118 generals and admirals
8,000 police have been removed from their posts and 1,000 arrested
3,000 members of the judiciary, including 1,481 judges, have been suspended
15,200 education ministry officials have lost their jobs
21,000 private school teachers have had their licences revoked
1,577 university deans (faculty heads) have been asked to resign
1,500 finance ministry staff have been removed
492 clerics, preachers and religious teachers have been fired
393 social policy ministry staff have been dismissed
257 prime minister's office staff have been removed
100 intelligence officials have been suspended
The list may be incomplete because the situation is constantly changing. But it is clear that the purge has affected well over 58,000 people.

Why education?
President Erdogan has seen the rise of Islamic education in Turkey's schools and universities as a personal mission.
Since his Islamist-rooted party came to power in 2002, the number of children educated in segregated religious schools known as "Imam-Hatip" has soared by 90%. He has repeatedly said he wants to raise a "pious generation" and has reformed state education accordingly.

Mr Erdogan sought to reverse the many closures of religious schools that came in the wake of Turkey's last coup in 1997, which he compared to the cutting of an artery.

He has also moved to shut down Gulenist-run schools outside Turkey. Reports from Romania say Turkish officials have told 11 to close, but the schools argue they fall under Romanian rather than Turkish jurisdiction.
What is less clear is why university deans are also being targeted. The officials told to leave their posts are unlikely to be Gulenists. There is some suggestion that a revamp of Turkey's 300 universities is being prepared.
On Wednesday, Turkey's higher education authority banned academics from travelling abroad and said anyone currently outside Turkey should return home.

More at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36835340
Old 07-27-2016, 17:57   #42
cbtengr
Area Commander

Erdogan reminds me of Pol Pot, the purge is in full force. Next step the killing fields?
Old 07-27-2016, 21:11   #43
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
He has also moved to shut down Gulenist-run schools outside Turkey. Reports from Romania say Turkish officials have told 11 to close, but the schools argue they fall under Romanian rather than Turkish jurisdiction.
And it might just have to be the local jurisdiction's fire department that responds in the middle of the night.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:24   #44
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I now endorse Mr. Erdogan, 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Erdogan reminds me of Pol Pot, the purge is in full force. Next step the killing fields?
'cept I don't care.

I've come a full 360 thinking about Erdogan ruling with an iron hand and I endorse it.

This is the only way to keep these muslim idiots in check and a huge benefit, having only one person to hold responsible if his "countrymen" step out of line.

Mr. Erdogan, you have my full backing and let me know where to send you tanks, warplanes and all the killing tools you require.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:23   #45
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
'cept I don't care.

I've come a full 360 thinking about Erdogan ruling with an iron hand and I endorse it.

This is the only way to keep these muslim idiots in check and a huge benefit, having only one person to hold responsible if his "countrymen" step out of line.

Mr. Erdogan, you have my full backing and let me know where to send you tanks, warplanes and all the killing tools you require.
Agree. A good junkyard dog is better than no dog at all. And if Erdogan isn't a dog he's as close to a son-of-a-bitch as that part of the world deserves.

JMHO, sir, but this dog has all the appearances of inserting himself as a new (or another) Caliphate, or at least one who could set himself up to defend the true faith against the Persians. The vacuum nature abhors is becoming a galaxy of abhorable vacuums in the Sunni world, and Turkey is looking like the only shepherd to defend that most holy porta-potty.

An interesting read: http://www.hope-of-israel.org/caliphate.html

Last edited by LarryW; 07-30-2016 at 11:37.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote