Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 04-26-2016, 12:46   #1
Keating
Asset

Prior Service Recruiting Question

I beg forgiveness in advance for asking a non-SF question.

I am prior service USCG, officer, and am attempting to join USAR Civil Affairs as an officer. I'm willing to bust down to O-1 (highest grade O-3). However, my recruiter is telling me that he cannot bring me in as an officer because I'm a prior service officer.

The instruction attached below references inter-service transfers for officers and clearly states that it should be permitted. The relevant paragraph:

"a. Inter-service Transfers. An officer transferring between two Military Services or a commissioned officer transferring from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, or the United States Coast Guard to one of the Military Services will be processed as an original appointment in accordance with sections 531 or 12203 and 716 of Reference (c) and DoDIs 1300.04 or 1205.05 (References (s) and (t)), with grade and date of rank determined in accordance with Reference (j) and DoDD 6000.12E (Reference (u)), as appropriate."

My question to current/former recruiters of the forum is, who's right? Perhaps, because I'm completely out (and no longer on IRR), I no longer count as a transfer?

I genuinely do not believe he's trying to mislead me. He's either 100% correct or simply doesn't know how to bring me in on the O side.

Thank you! I would, if only for financial reasons, prefer to stay on the O side of the house. But if push comes to shove, I'll bust down to E-4 and start over. I'm only 29.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 131002p.pdf (125.7 KB, 6 views)

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:11   #2
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
I beg forgiveness in advance for asking a non-SF question.

I am prior service USCG, officer, and am attempting to join USAR Civil Affairs as an officer. I'm willing to bust down to O-1 (highest grade O-3). However, my recruiter is telling me that he cannot bring me in as an officer because I'm a prior service officer.

The instruction attached below references inter-service transfers for officers and clearly states that it should be permitted. The relevant paragraph:

"a. Inter-service Transfers. An officer transferring between two Military Services or a commissioned officer transferring from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, or the United States Coast Guard to one of the Military Services will be processed as an original appointment in accordance with sections 531 or 12203 and 716 of Reference (c) and DoDIs 1300.04 or 1205.05 (References (s) and (t)), with grade and date of rank determined in accordance with Reference (j) and DoDD 6000.12E (Reference (u)), as appropriate."

My question to current/former recruiters of the forum is, who's right? Perhaps, because I'm completely out (and no longer on IRR), I no longer count as a transfer?

I genuinely do not believe he's trying to mislead me. He's either 100% correct or simply doesn't know how to bring me in on the O side.

Thank you! I would, if only for financial reasons, prefer to stay on the O side of the house. But if push comes to shove, I'll bust down to E-4 and start over. I'm only 29.
For officer, you have to comission to a basic, non-special (AMEDD, JAG, chaplain) first before going for CA. IIRC, if you have public-related civilian skills, you can be direcly ascessed.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote