Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 08-19-2013, 14:20   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Mindset: Meet Major (Ret) J.D. Greer

Yet another example of the SF mindset.

Please Meet: Retired Army Maj. J.D. Greer
Savannah Morning News, 18 Aug 2013

J.D. Greer doesn’t let his amputated right arm slow him down.

The retired Army Special Forces officer, who in 2006 lost his dominant arm from the elbow down to an explosive projectile while working contracted security for the U.S. State Department in Iraq, spends nearly every day either on a specially designed mountain bike or in a pool.

In recent months he’s competed in the Coastal Empire Cycle Fest Criterium on Tybee Island, participated in the four-day Soldier Ride for wounded warriors through metro Atlanta, and spent three days with former President George W. Bush and some 20 others disabled in Iraq or Afghanistan biking 100 kilometers across the former commander in chief’s Texas ranch.

But when he’s not mountain biking, swimming, scuba diving or weight training, Greer, who spent about half of his 21-year Army career as an enlisted Green Beret before being commissioned an officer, is most likely to be found somewhere mentoring others who’ve been severely injured in combat.

Greer, who has called Savannah home since he retired as a major at Fort Bragg, N.C., is a peer mentor with the Jacksonville, Fla.-based Wounded Warrior Project.

He was first introduced to the nonprofit organization that strives “to foster the most successful, well-adjusted generation of wounded service members in our nation’s history,” while a patient at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center following the attack in Iraq that claimed his hand and left him with a traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.

“Some guys from the Wounded Warrior Project … showed up to my room with a backpack, and I was like ‘What is this?’ Greer said. “But you know, that’s genius, that’s awesome.

“At the time I was complaining about everything … I got to know these guys and it was a huge boost.”

Along with providing one-on-one advice to others who have experienced life-altering injuries, Greer helps with programs like SUDS Diving (Soldiers Undertaking Disable Scuba) and Soldier Ride.

“It’s been really rewarding,” Greer said. “I’m retired; I’m 100 percent disabled. I just, kind of, volunteer where I can because I can’t work. Being around the Wounded Warrior Project you meet some of these just awesome people — it means a lot.”

His message to others who are currently fighting through sever injury is simple: Have a positive attitude, embrace life after the injury, and stay both mentally and physically active.

“Hey, I’m 56,” he said. “I’ve had like multiple spinal surgeries and an amputation. If an old guy like me can do it, these younger guys with multiple combat tours can do it. It just takes some time and maybe a little inspiration from someone like me, and for me it’s nice to be able to inspire them a little bit and, hopefully, help.”

http://savannahnow.com/accent/2013-0...y-maj-jd-greer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD Greer.jpg (44.5 KB, 131 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 17:28   #2
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thumbs up

Another inspiring post and a great picture.