Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 06-23-2015, 19:15   #46
steel71
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I seem to recall that there are a few Forts named for Confederate officers, too.

Pat
Don't worry, they're are coming for that too.

Time: U.S. Flag Waves Over 10 Army Bases Proudly Named for Confederate Officers

http://time.com/3932914/army-bases-confederate/

They'll be coming for the American flag soon..
Old 06-23-2015, 19:34   #47
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel71 View Post
Don't worry, they're are coming for that too.

Time: U.S. Flag Waves Over 10 Army Bases Proudly Named for Confederate Officers

http://time.com/3932914/army-bases-confederate/

Again, a separate issue and a special conspiracy issue for those to rally around that do not want to deal with what the Battle Flag represents.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 19:57   #48
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Removing Confederate Flag From 'Dukes of Hazzard' Car

Warner Bros. Removing Confederate Flag From 'Dukes of Hazzard' Car

Is nothing sacred. What next, "Northern" Fried Chicken, no grits, biscuits, or sun tea

SnT

Warner Bros. Removing Confederate Flag From 'Dukes of Hazzard' Car
The General Lee - Bo and Luke Duke's vehicle of choice from 'The Dukes of Hazzard' - is a classic and instantly recognizable Hollywood car. But it's about to get a little less recognizable as Warner Bros., the studio that owns the theatrical, DVD and licensing rights to 'The Dukes of Hazzard,' has decided to remove the confederate flag from all future versions of the car.

http://screencrush.com/dukes-of-hazz...fbshare_mobile

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 21:41   #49
Mills
Quiet Professional

I am all for removing displayed items that represent oppression, hate, and murder.

Lets get rid of the confederate flag right after we ban the fucking Koran.

I am so sick of the bandwagon fucking issues that plague our country from week to week, further dividing races and classes into "us versus them" grudge matches. Sometimes people just need to be told to shut up, and not take the bait of buying into the pyrimid scheme that special interest groups are pushing.

Last week, human science experiments deciding that they were assigned the wrong chromosones, this week............the confederate flag, next week..........the required tolerance of faggotery within the family dynamic.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:06   #50
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Although I have no pup in this particular fight, I am familiar with flag nonsense as we have a much more contemporary problem in my country.
I think a useful process one can use to establish truth from BS is to ask a few questions , of those on either side of the debate.
What would your reaction have been , had the authorities lowered the Confederate Flag because of the church shooting and not the national flag?
What would your reaction have been if all the flags had been lowered?
What would you have felt if the Confederate flag had been lowered first, then the State and National flags in that order?
What would the reaction have been if no flags at all had been lowered?

I am sure that after a cool examination of affairs, most people will come to the conclusion that the flag itself was not at fault, but the small-hearted decision not to lower the Confederate Flag was the catalyst that promoted the furore.
As usual, it is people and not symbols that screw the pooch.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:34   #51
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel71 View Post

Probably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9pmsawf.jpg (55.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 4443117539_a10fb82158.jpg (151.5 KB, 30 views)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:03   #52
Box
Quiet Professional

...you guys are all a bunch of racists.

I can't wait until Hillary gets coronated and purges all of Americas evils.

The General Lee was a racist car NOT a race car; Let me break it down for you:

It belonged to Bo Duke and Luke Duke....
bo duKe, luKe duKe
They hid the "KKK" within the names of the cars primary drivers.
...and Uncle Jesse?
...look at his hat: its RED. Red like communism. He was a bootlegger-a criminal that thumbed his nose at the law. An old white guy with a beard, the symbol of ALL that which is racist.

Yes... its all becoming clearer now.

The car is orange... like the flames of hatred.
It was emblazoned with the number '01'... number 1 for supremacy. The numbers are black... SURROUNDED by a white border.
The doors never opened - and the interior of the car was all black. The "doors" of the car were closed, permanently interring the oppressed black interior. The interior was imprisoned in the car to provide comfort to a blonde haired blue eyed driver.
When John Schneider left "The Dukes of Hazzard" they replaced him with ANOTHER blonde haired-blue eyed driver named "Coy"
Coy is ALSO a word that means "reluctant to give details, especially about something regarded as sensitive"
...the show didn't want anyone to know the TRUTH behind the racist oppression being used to hypnotize the viewers

coincidence?
I.THINK.NOT.

They even managed to get "Cooter" into congress by pretending to be a democrat named Ben Jones.
Those tricky, tricky bastards.
...and this "Ben Jones" was just on CNN defending the General Lee

My eyes have been opened.
The Dukes of Hazard was a crypto-facist metaphor for racial oppression.
I don't know how nobody noticed it sooner.

edited to add...
I still think the flag is a standard of a defeated rebellion that has no place on US government property.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-24-2015 at 07:28.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:24   #53
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
I am from the West but having lived in the South for several decades I developed an affinity for the South, it's people and culture. One of my favorite places, the" The Most Historic City", Charleston, S.C. is one of the most civil Cities I know of . I have no doubt that left to their own devices they can deal with the issues that face them and they certainly have my condolences for the senseless tragedy that occurred.

So I read they want to take the Stars and Bars down from a memorial at the State Capital in Columbia, it's not really that flag...

South Carolina has a State Flag and it is one of the best state flags in our nation.
Design: White palmetto tree...which the cannon balls could not penetrate, on an indigo field....a major export, the canton contains a white crest....of liberty. I happen to agree, there is not much question the State flag should be the one flown over it's capital and it should be done so with all the protocols. The flag they want to take down ( looks like the Confederate Navy Jack to me) * was flying over a Confederate Memorial located on the state grounds and should not have been under the same protocol as the State flag as it was flying only over the memorial, it seems appropriate that there might be memorials on the capital but maybe not?

The hysteria over a flag because of this tragedy seems akin to Cesar calling for games at the coliseum to quell the people with a big Red Herring. The actual issues are well beyond the capabilities of the Chief Fomentor's abilities of leadership so this is what we get and have for years now. It is sad seeing all the PC folks jumping on his band wagon as it's a guise. I happen to think the right approach is tolerance not forced decreed and regulated PC.

The so called battle flag would not be the first symbol to be banned and it might yet endure if put in the correct context as have other symbols : http://www.tartansauthority.com/reso...s-act-of-1746/

They say the flag represents slavery and it's legacy, somewhat ironic as it relates to SC : http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...ww.google.com/

* http://www.usflag.org/history/confed...rsandbars.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S.C. State Flag.jpg (24.1 KB, 1 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 06-24-2015 at 08:29.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:39   #54
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Interesting perspective. A Black man defending the Confederate Flag. He talks about how his ancestors fought for the south.
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...-confederates/

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:47   #55
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
The hysteria over a flag because of this tragedy...
According to History Professor Kevin Gannon, that is not quite true.

I Will Not Argue About the Confederate Flag, 19 June 2015

http://www.thetattooedprof.com/archives/407

Some might find it worth the time to read his "...open letter to defenders of the Confederate Flag."

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:16   #56
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Dammit! Brush posted while I was reading the articles.....Beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I am disappointed that the acknowledgement of slaves and free blacks is tempered with:

Quote:
Freedmen in the Confederacy faced re-enslavement in Virginia and elsewhere, said Stauffer, so they made displays of loyalty that were really gestures of self-protection — a “hope for better treatment, a hope not to be enslaved.”
While most likely probable, there is no suggestion that there may have been free blacks that owned owned slaves supporting the Confederacy for the same reason as most Southerners...the Union invaded.

There were many (clearly not as many) wealthy free blacks that owned slaves that may have supported the Confederate cause. People like Justus Angel and William Ellison....

Old 06-24-2015, 09:19   #57
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
According to History Professor Kevin Gannon, that is not quite true.

I Will Not Argue About the Confederate Flag, 19 June 2015

http://www.thetattooedprof.com/archives/407

Some might find it worth the time to read his "...open letter to defenders of the Confederate Flag."

Richard
Did Sigaba write that?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:25   #58
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Did Sigaba write that?
LMAO! History is complicated, especially when the winners decide the nuances recorded/interpreted for posterity. Personally I find much to admire in the deeds of men defending their homes from the illegal aggressions of invading armies; deeds associated in perpetuity with the selfsame Confederate Battle Flag. MOO, YMMV - and that's your right. By the same token - don't expect me to acquiesce to PC pressure and surrender my right to my opinions.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:10   #59
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Another Prof. with an obvious-to-anyone-who-is-not-an-academic axe to grind.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:31   #60
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

I wonder if or how long it will take for the country to abolish the Stars and Stripes as being seen for all of the oppression, superiority, racism, colonialism, empirialistic conquering by force, and exceptionalism that is associated with its history and lineage?

It would seem to me that it's no longer "popular" to associate with our rich and colorful history and wayward ways of the past. Names, events, and actions, that brought us to where we are (right or wrong), are now found to be offensive, repressive or degrading. From the naming of institutions (Army bases), streets, and cities that bear the names of people highly regarded at one time. To rewriting history books in school in an attempt to change history to fit a new and modern definition of acceptance or irrelevance.

Again, my personal views of the CSA flag are very minimal at best, as it's not a part of me or my family's heritage. I'm not from the south (or that north) and really don't have an opinion. I'm certain that my opinions and those of my family have changed over the course of a hundred years. (I'm not put off nor feel disenfranchised by the display of the Nazi flag, even though my family has good reason to hate it.) But, the slippery slope of "political correctness" run amok has the effect of diminishing the honor and bravery of the men (white, black and female) that fought for what they believed at the time - their freedom and independence. Even if we now conclude that their beliefs were wrong and misguided. When and at what point in the future do we as a nation "collectively" shun and ban from display any symbol that one minority group or another finds cause to challenge its "authenticity" to represent a place in history if not honor for the place in history that it represents?

When and if this "precedence" becomes law or accepted on the bases of "State Grounds" or "National" interest, the banning of any symbol, name, or event, becomes open for debate to abolish for the greater good. Think the National Mall in Washington DC, and all the memorials scattered throughout the country that represents a different time and a different belief relevant to that time and place in history.

"Gone but not forgotten" isn't just a catchy phrase used to remember POWs/MIAs/KIAs during and after war. It's something much deeper than that and reaches across the barriers of race, religion, nationality, and all other divisions of social classes. It's not just a bumper sticker! Yet only a handful of government offices display it to honor and remember those. They don't know or care to know that some of them are racists, bigots, misogynists, pedophiles or something worse. They only honor the person, a soldier that gave all or never returned.

Isn't that what the "lone CSA" flag represents flying over a Confederate Memorial in the city that began our Civil War for the right to be different. The right to be free! (They lost and rightfully so, because to be free all men are born free and their loss represents what's good in America.) We should remember that.

Rant/off

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 06-24-2015 at 12:34.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote