Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 07-18-2004, 15:02   #1
Roycroft201
Guerrilla

X"Edged Weapons" in the kitchen

I almost considered putting this thread in the 'Edged Weapons' forum.

I don't think I have ever been taught the correct method for sharpening the knives in my kitchen. They have always just been 'passable' to work with, and it's frustrating. At the current time, they can only be described as 'pathetic'.

Fresh tomatoes will be in season soon - I wonder if I'll be able to slice one ! LOL!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roycroft201

(edited for spelling errors, proofreading errors, ........)

Last edited by Penn; 04-21-2008 at 21:38.
Roycroft201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 15:55   #2
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

Great question! I went out and bought new knives because I don't have a sharp one and I didn't know where to go to have someone do it. The new knife set comes with a sharpening steel, but the pictures are....unhelpful. If someone here can't instruct us in the proper way then the world has, in fact, ended!
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 16:40   #3
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

Sheffield makes kitchen knives that have sharpeners built into the sheaths. I have a few of them and they are as sharp as the day I got them.

A sharpening wand is also a great tool to have if you've got non-serrated knives.
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 17:35   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I currently own about 10-15 nice kitchen knives. Sometimes I do not always remember to sharpen them after hard use. I’ll be the first to admit, when I’m in a hurry I cheat and use an electric knife sharpener. It works very well, well enough to shave the hairs off ones arm.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 18:01   #5
Roycroft201
Guerrilla

Even if I put on my glasses.....

Even on a good day, TS, sir, I cannot read the fine print in the photo of your electric knife sharpener. Would you be so kind as to give make and model ?

Bravo and Sweetbriar - I would love to learn the PROPER way to use a steel. Had several, because I would buy a new one thinking that a 'new, improved model' would help my technique ! LOL!!

My father-in-law had a favorite paring knife that he used to sharpen on a 'block'. There was definitely a 'feel' in the wrist action to the way he would draw it across until he was satisfied.

I also have a cleaver that was my mother's that I would like to bring back to life. It says:
Foster Bros.
Solid Steel

It's quite heavy and would be overkill on most things I do in the kitchen, but it would sure look great in my kitchen !!

I appreciate all your help.

Roycroft201
Roycroft201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 18:01   #6
brownapple

I've got two full sets of kitchen knives provided as gifts. Both are shit (and one set is an expensive set). Won't keep an edge worth a damn. Sooner or later, I am going to have to go and buy a good set of kitchen knives made of good steel.

The steel is for touching up the edge, not for sharpening per say. It is used in the same way as a stone or ceramic rod. Run the knife edge down it maintaining a consistent angle.
Old 07-18-2004, 18:16   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

RC, It's a "Chef's Choice" Deluxe 3 Stage Electric Diamond Sharpener. I don't promote products but I like this machine. They run about $130. Anything over that is too much. (My knives are Henckels Professional S.) I'm saving up for some Bill Harsey kitchen knives...

TS
Old 07-18-2004, 18:29   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have the finest 6" Chef's Knife in the world, and has so far, held its edge quite well.

Electric and automatic sharpeners take off way too much metal and life off the blade for me.

You sharpen them on a stone, like any other knife, and may touch them up with a steel from time to time.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 19:10   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
You sharpen them on a stone, like any other knife, and may touch them up with a steel from time to time.

I sharpen them on a stone, a very fast turning stone.

TR, that's the reason this machine has three stages, so as not to rend them into dust. Trust me, its a fine device for kitchen knives.
Old 07-18-2004, 19:51   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

TS:

That is your decision.

I will not put this on any electric grinder. I will admit to using a diamond impregnated stone though.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0066b.jpg (28.1 KB, 280 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-18-2004, 19:55   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Nice knife. Very nice knife.

Bill! I want an eight inch Harsey chef knife!!!!!

Did I mention thats a very nice chef's knife?

TS
Old 07-18-2004, 20:01   #12
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

Excellent.

I have seen some chefs dampen the knife blade before sharpening. Is this the correct way to do it - i.e. wet the blade before sharpening?

And what do you do with serrated edged knives? I just keep replacing them.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 20:03   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
Excellent.

I have seen some chefs dampen the knife blade before sharpening. Is this the correct way to do it - i.e. wet the blade before sharpening?

And what do you do with serrated edged knives? I just keep replacing them.
that sharpener I posted works on serrated knives...
Old 07-18-2004, 20:03   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant

TS
I thought you would appreciate it.

I would just add that it feels even better in the hand than it looks.

S30V as well, holds an edge like a razor, so far, sharpens up with just a few passes on the stone.

You know it was made right, too!

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0063b.jpg (29.3 KB, 178 views)

Old 07-18-2004, 20:05   #15
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant

TS
Got it wrong there TS !! That is a "COMBAT CHEF'S Knife" !! Note the hole in the tang !!! I''ll take one also, if it's engraved as 2004 !!!!

Later
M