Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18B

Old 01-30-2009, 22:48   #1
7624U
Quiet Professional

MK-19 Army Suggestion NWCN05015M

Got a Email from them they forwarded my idea up to MACOM and if it passes it will go up to big army for review.

This email was generated from the U.S. Army Suggestion Program (ASP) website for your attention.

Recommended adoption, but approval not within jurisdiction of installation - suggestion forwarded to regional level for further evaluation.

Thank you for contributing to the U.S. Army Suggestion Program.

Took them long enuff it was in 2005 when I wrote to them.
Here is what my idea was let me post it ....

Suggestion ID: NWCN05015M

Submit Date: 2005-09-15 14:07:16.0

Installation or Activity: FORT CARSON

Suggester's Status:
Active Military

Subject of Suggestion:
MK-19 Grenade Launcher Loading Procedure

Current Procedure:
Currently the army wide procedure is to load the linked ammunition onto the MK-19 feed tray, close the feed tray cover then charge the handles to the rear moving the rounds into battery and then depressing the trigger to slam the bolt forward onto the first round. after the round is seated on the bolt face the operator then charges the weapon again and puts the weapon on safe. you now have a round that is striped off the links, and cannot be replaced onto the ammunition belt. Unloading the gunner opens the feed tray cover removes the linked ammunition from the feed tray then has to pry the single round off the bolt face. most operators now have a single round they have no use for so they throw it in a box to be disposed of later. this over a deployment can add up fast if the squad or team goes out on patrols everyday they will end up with many cans of single rounds of ammunition that can't be used. so they eather have it disposed of them or have EOD blow up these single rounds.........

Attachment: NONE

Proposed Procedure:
My suggestion is to save a single round and use it again and again instead of throwing all the single rounds away, what you need to do is get a wire cutter and cut the metal link off one single round. this enables you to load this same round over again I will explain the procedure for doing this. you have a single MK-19 round with the metal link cut off the round. open the MK-19 feed tray cover pull the charging handles to the rear place the single round into the feed tray so the round and bolt are aligned with eachother now ride the bolt forward so the bolt seats this single round onto the bolt face. next load the linked ammunition as you would normally. close the feed tray cover and pull charging handles to the rear and put the weapon on safe returning the charging handles to the forward position, the weapon is now loaded and ready to fire. Unloading open feed tray cover remove linked ammunition from the feed tray remove single round from the bolt face do not discard this round it can be used again and again or until it needs to be replaced because of wear.

Recommended Evaluating Office:

Physical Exhibit? No

Benefits if Adopted:
I have no idea how many units army wide use the procedure in the Current Procedure line. or how many MK-19 we have deployed or use on a day to day patrol of Iraq and other places around the world. But I know the amount of rounds wasted has to be over 100,000 rounds per year this may be only a low est. if you have 4,000 MK-19 systems go on patrol only 25 times a year thats 100,000 rounds destroyed. what is the cost of 100,000 rounds of MK-19 ammunition. I have no idea what the govt pays for these rounds, but we would be saving millions on the cost of lost or wasted ammunition if this new loading procedure is used.

NOTE: I have done this many times on deployments and it works but it has not been approved yet, Could be a safty risk involved someone with a large brain may see something they dont like about what I do with this weapon system. So use at your own risk or dont do it unless you know what the hell your doing with the MK-19. IE new graduate from the course.

Last edited by 7624U; 01-31-2009 at 09:31.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 23:41   #2
cornelyj
Guerrilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKFLDpZ-n6c

This is used when no rounds are fired and you must dispose of the one round that has been fed forward; Correct?
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:51   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Great idea.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15   #4
Green Tip
Asset

We use the dunnage round with the exact process you have, but we keep the metal link on it...
Green Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39   #5
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tip View Post
We use the dunnage round with the exact process you have, but we keep the metal link on it...
I would advise cutting off the link Green Tip then you dont have to worry about link placement and the chance of it getting all hung up when you have to fire the weapon, last thing you want is CHUNK !!! oh no my round is jammed and it always happens when you dont want it too.

Last edited by 7624U; 02-02-2009 at 10:42.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17   #6
Green Tip
Asset

I told my chain of command about your advice dealing with cutting the link, and they simply told me "we're not certified to do that"... Great idea though! Do you just LSA the chrome spots? I do the entire bolt+chrome.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:33   #7
wantabe
FTFSI

I cant follow simple directions...

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-27-2009 at 07:58.
wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

You have had more than ample time to read the welcome email you received after you registered here and comply with what was asked of you. You need to go back and re/read that email and follow the instructions contained therein before posting again.

This isnt AOL, yahoo, etc... in the future dont post like this is.

Welcome to PS.com

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
And you are not SF yet either, so I took the liberty of changing your user name for you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:42   #10
SpetsnaZ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
And you are not SF yet either, so I took the liberty of changing your user name for you.
LoL....
SpetsnaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 13:04   #11
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally posted by Green Tip:

Do you just LSA the chrome spots? I do the entire bolt+chrome.
When we service the Mk-19's, it's standard to lightly coat the entire gun in LSAT, and brush a heavier coat on the chromed surfaces. Wiping the exterior heavily until nearly bone dry. Just enough to protect the finish.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:48   #12
Green Tip
Asset

We got guys that put Militec on them haha.
Old 03-03-2009, 20:29   #13
PinelandVet66
Quiet Professional

Smile

I recommend the MK-47 for 40mm slingin, but somebody needs to buff out that charging handle. Only a matter of time before you are stringing 550 chord through the pulleys.
PinelandVet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32   #14
7624U
Quiet Professional

Update to this. MACOM is still testing but they sent it up to National Level and are looking for a review and testing analist.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55   #15
Tomahawk202
Asset

I haven't heard anything...

I haven't heard anything, but one reason you may have had to wait such a long time, is due to the fact that it's unsafe and in some cases flat out dangerous to do that. Here's why:

The M430 round has a mechanical gear system in the fuze. Slamming the nose of the fuze into the Ogive Plunger once, to load the round, is ok. But to do it more than once is asking for trouble. If these gears get seperated in the fuze, it could cause the firing pin to slip and bam, airburst at best, catastraphic malfunction at worst. The M430 is an old round, but it's still in use today. The newer rounds are less prone to this type of malfunction, but like previously stated, don't do anything like this unless you know what the hell your doing.
Now, there is a different way to load a previously stripped round, onto the bolt, so you only have to charge the weapon once to operate it. And it goes a little something like this:

Open the feedtray cover. Take linkless, previously fed round in your left hand.

Drop the right handle and slide the bolt to the rear just a little ( about an inch )

While holding the bolt to the rear, take the round and slide the rim of the cartridge under the left lips on the boltface.

Now snap the round to the right, placing the right side of the rim, under the right feedlips on the boltface.

Boom.... there you go. Load the belt of rounds, and charge the weapon.

Rock and Roll.............

Your idea was really good, and I agree, it would save a lot of money. But it's unsafe and lord knows some REMF would probably blow themselves halfway to hell, trying to perform that task.

I am open to feekback, and you gentlemen take care,

Tomahawk sends..............
RASCZAK: Correct. Naked force has settled more issues in history than any other factor. The contrary opinion 'violence never solves anything' is wishful thinking at its worst. People who forget that always pay... They pay with their lives and their freedom.
-- Robert H. Heinlein

Last edited by Tomahawk202; 04-08-2009 at 13:55.
Tomahawk202 is offline   Reply With Quote