Old 06-01-2019, 16:44   #1
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Sticky rice

We started eating a lot of sticky rice around 1968. Dad would make it and we chowed it down. He loved it with every meal and I haven't been able to replicate it. I've tried a few brands . Anybody have a recipe? Thanks.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 15:46   #2
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Rice

Any sort of Asian rice at the grocery is sticky. At least the stuff I get is. Its the only style I'll eat at home (I love rice, but that's my favorite).
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 19:52   #3
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Not washing the rice = more sticky

More water = more sticky

Shorter grain = more sticky
Old 07-06-2019, 12:34   #4
P36
Guerrilla

So first, it's important to define "sticky rice," are you referring to the typical bowl served in a Japanese restaurant or Chinese place or are you referring to the dish known as "Sticky Rice" in a Thai restaurant, which requires a completely different rice and cooking method.

If you are talking about the typical Asian rice then it is a simple matter. BUY A RICE COOKER and follow the directions and you will have pretty much perfect rice. (How anyone survives without a rice cooker is beyond me!) Note that short grain rice (the stuff you tend to get in Japanese places and always in Sushi) is a bit different that long grain rice (Thai and Chinese restaurants). They have different flavors and use a different amount of water.

Wash the rice...not to clean it, but to remove the starch...this is super important with short grain rice, otherwise you will have a slimy mess.

For plain ole Japanese rice: https://www.you...e.com/watch?v=-eed1Kz-3DE

If it's just you and you don't wanna spend big $ get this rice cooker. It'll do the job fine. The company makes top line cookers, and it's easy to spend 120.00 on one of the fancier ones....
https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NHS...8459&s=gateway

Last edited by P36; 07-06-2019 at 12:42.
P36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 17:59   #5
chdoro89
Asset

Go to an asian market and get glutinous rice aka sweet rice and steam it in a bamboo basket that you can also get from the market. Also make sure to soak the rice in a bowl of water for at least 4 hours and wash it prior to steaming. I promise you the best sticky rice if you try it.

Edit: I usually steam for about 20 minutes then flip the rice mass in the basket and steam for 5 more minutes.

Last edited by chdoro89; 07-06-2019 at 18:02. Reason: Add info
chdoro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:56   #6
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Great Wall longevity

Fun fact. The secret to the Great Wall's longevity = the mortar. The mortar was tested to be stronger than modern mortar. The secret to the mortar...sticky rice.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 18:41   #7
P36
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdoro89 View Post
Go to an asian market and get glutinous rice aka sweet rice and steam it in a bamboo basket that you can also get from the market. Also make sure to soak the rice in a bowl of water for at least 4 hours and wash it prior to steaming. I promise you the best sticky rice if you try it.

Edit: I usually steam for about 20 minutes then flip the rice mass in the basket and steam for 5 more minutes.
Yep, this is the "official" sticky rice. A lot of folks who aren't used to Asian food call regular steamed rice, sticky rice because they compare it to that crap sold in boxes in the stores.

You can also shortcut sticky rice in the microwave if pressed for time.
Old 08-01-2019, 20:04   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I use short grain rice. I put the amount I need in a sauce pan, rinse it twice. It is better if you can let it soak for a few hours. Then I put in enough water to reach up to the cuticle of my first finger. I turn the heat on High until it gets to a rolling boil. Then, I turn down the heat to its lowest setting, stir the rice and cover. I set the timer for 20 minutes. My wife is of Chinese descent, it took 20 years for her to say I knew how to cook rice. Also, if you want the rice at the bottom of the pan to get crispy brown, add a little more water and turn up the heat for 4 or 5 minutes. It is called "Phuhn Deo" and is highly valued in my family...

Last edited by mark46th; 08-13-2019 at 20:41.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote