Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 07-12-2005, 23:21   #1
califas
Asset

NG Info

If any of the NG Quiet Professionals could help me out I would be thankful. I was not selected by the active duty SF board so I have decided to transfer over to the NG, 5/19th. I talked to the S-1 and I'm aware of the process. What I'm curious about is what do you guys do on the civilian side that allows you to keep up with your deployments and training. I guess I'm trying to get some ideas for civilian employment. I have looked into law enforcement and some of the federal agencies but I want to see if there is anything I am not thinking about. Any info would be helpful. thanks
califas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:06   #2
jatx
Area Commander

You might check out the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve website here. There is a list of over 1,000 employers all over the country who will be supportive of your service. Some even provide pay differential or other continued benefits while you are deployed, although that may be becoming less common from what I hear. Good luck!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:34   #3
Dustin03
Guerrilla

If you can get in at Sears-Roebuck, they would probably hire you just because you're in the military. Seriously, great company and they are VERY supportive of us, and have no problems when you have to leave. They gurentee holding a job equal to, if not the same as the one you had before you left, and offer some great support towards your family.
Dustin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:11   #4
Books
Quiet Professional

I'm telling you Brother, there is no better job for a NG SF guy who wants to go on deployments, training, what have you than a FIREFIGHTER. It takes some work getting on a department, but here in Seattle, FF's work 8 days a month and start at 50K a year.

That said, any municipal job is good (good benefits, decent pay, good relationships with the military). Try to stay away from a small employer as your constant leaving will wreak their business. That would be, IMHO, the ethical thing to do.

Home Depot is a good employer of reserve/guard folks as well.

Good luck!

- Jack Moroney
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

It seems quite a few of us NG SF types (not just team guys) find employment in EMS, Fire, or LE jobs. I took a 2 year Leave of Absense to come to the Q course and just spoke with my employer about extending it 6 months and there was not much of a problem. Of course I have been employed with the same FD for going on 13 years so...

The question begs, atleast by me, to be asked; are you coming to the Guard thinking it will be easier to get selected?

Best of luck to you Sir.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38   #6
KolB
Quiet Professional

In my company the sky is pretty much the limit. Every profession from panhandler to surgeon is represented. However, no matter where you work, it is important to be upfront with your employer. Get the unit's drill dates/orders/etc to your supervisor ASAP to give them a heads up. Help them to help you become available for whatever training you're planning to do.

--The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
Marcus Aurelius
KolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 15:37   #7
califas
Asset

Thanks

Gentlemen thanks for all the help, you gave me some good avenues to investigate. In response to Surgicalcric: I am not going to the NG because I think it will be easier to get selected, I realize the NG goes through the same training as active duty, I am going to the NG because my goal has been to join SF for a long time and since I was not selected by the active board ( I didn't even make it to selection ) This is my last chance for the opportunity to try. The S-1 has informed me that he would accept me into the training unit and once the cadre feel I am ready they will send me to selectiion. Believe me if I really thought it was easier on the NG side I wouldn't feel right about trying to join a team. Well gentlemen once again thanks for all your help and if things work out I'm sure this will be the first of many times that I pick your brains for info. Any other bit of knowledge you feel like shooting my way will always be received with gratitude. Well off to the gym
Old 07-13-2005, 16:23   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

califas:

Why do you think you were not selected, and why do you think that would not matter to the Guard SF units?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 17:54   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by califas
...I am not going to the NG because I think it will be easier to get selected, I realize the NG goes through the same training as active duty, I am going to the NG because my goal has been to join SF for a long time and since I was not selected by the active board ( I didn't even make it to selection ) This is my last chance for the opportunity to try...
I was not questioning your motives nor attempting to sharpshoot you. I was just curious. There were, however, a few AD guys in class 007-05 who thought us NG guys were graded based on different criteria, not true.

Best of luck to you in the future, regardless of the path you choose.

Crip

Old 07-13-2005, 18:22   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric
I was not questioning your motives nor attempting to sharpshoot you. I was just curious. There were, however, a few AD guys in class 007-05 who thought us NG guys were graded based on different criteria, not true.

Best of luck to you in the future, regardless of the path you choose.

Crip
Crip:

Do you really think you learned everything about how candidates are evaluated by going through once as a student?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 18:38   #11
califas
Asset

surgicalcric,
I know your intentions were not ill willed and no harm done. Like I said before if things work out this will probably be the first of many times I pick your brains for info and in order to do that you need to know I'm not some slacker looking for the easy route. Thanks again.

TR, as far as why I wasn't selected I'm not sure, the letter they sent just said I was a good soldier and to drive on ( but apperently not good enough). I won't even try to come up with some excuse why I wasn't selected, 12 other Armor officers were selected so it wasn't about branch. Believe me I informed the S-1 with the NG group of my situation and why I was transfering, he is willing to give me a shot. I do realize that the NG teams are every bit as professional as the active duty teams and that the standards do not change, I also realize that I haven't even got my foot in the door of the SF community but at least on the NG side that door hasn't been closed. I rather fail trying than not even get a chance to try. All I could do now is bust my A** and prepare for my first step which is impress the cadre at the training company. TR thanks for the interest and if you have any other knowledge or advice you want to shoot my way I'm all ears.
Old 07-13-2005, 20:19   #12
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Crip:

Do you really think you learned everything about how candidates are evaluated by going through once as a student?

TR
No Sir.

I would not pretend to know anything, mustless everything, about SFAS other than what I have experienced directly or that which I have picked up by the reading of information previously passed on by yourself and others in the know. My comment was solely based on this information.

Crip