Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-30-2013, 21:46   #1
bjm300
Asset

SGM (Ret.) Ed Bugarin's PT Tips

This article has some great information on PT from a retired SF soldier.

http://www.itstactical.com/centcom/i...on_object_map=[166313593524033]&action_type_map=["og.likes"]&action_ref_map=[]
bjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 13:52   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Good stuff. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:17   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I wonder what kind of shape this guy's in, now.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:38   #4
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I wonder what kind of shape this guy's in, now.
Pretty good, I'd say.

The 2015 class of XTERRA Trail Run World Champions features 28 men and women from six different countries and 10 U.S. states.

Standing out among them was Hawaii’s own Ed Bugarin, who won his fourth XTERRA Trail Run World Championship. Bugarin won his first world title in the 55-59 division in 2009, he won two in the 60-64 division, and now he’s got his first in the 65-69 age category.

http://www.xterraplanet.com/2015/12/...hampionship-2/

The 2016 race will be in December.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:06   #5
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
Pretty good, I'd say.

The 2015 class of XTERRA Trail Run World Champions features 28 men and women from six different countries and 10 U.S. states.

Standing out among them was Hawaii’s own Ed Bugarin, who won his fourth XTERRA Trail Run World Championship. Bugarin won his first world title in the 55-59 division in 2009, he won two in the 60-64 division, and now he’s got his first in the 65-69 age category.

http://www.xterraplanet.com/2015/12/...hampionship-2/

The 2016 race will be in December.
Good stuff. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26   #6
Boxer99
Asset

I know this is a bit dated of a thread, but I can tell you that Ed is in great shape still. (FWIW that guy with the blurred out face in the ITS Tactical article is myself - I know there's really no way to prove that, other than I could re-alter the original photo and post it here).

Just about a month ago he put in a horizontal ladder (monkey bars) on the underside of his porch awning to train on. (He then proceeded to educate me on how this was a part of the Army PFT back in the 70s).

He still jumps in as a part of the MARSOC Phase 2 A&S Course cadre, and was recently training to do another 50K but ended up opting out as he hadn't been training as much as he'd like. By not training as much as he'd like, he hadn't been running much more than 10-12 mile runs recently.

His training is still pretty varied. He does his SHIFT Upper Body workouts, interval workouts of like 8x400 meters or hill workouts - depending on what he is training for, and some days throws in come calisthenics circuits. His training schedule is very "fluid" as he has described it a few times. And he still rucks very frequently, often when just taking his dog out for a jog.

Ed has some really great stories to tell to, very motivating. One story he’s relayed was regarding a 20 mile race that he started doing in the 80's that was put on by SF every year, while he was also in the Unit (I think he said it was called Long Street?). He said that he saw a guy that weighed at least 180 lbs. bodyweight finish the race in 2 hours (which at that same pace for another 6.2 miles is a 2:40 marathon), and said seeing this guy finish the race while being as muscle-bound as he was, changed his mindset during a time when people had the mentality that you could be either a runner, or a lifter, but not both.

Last edited by Boxer99; 09-18-2017 at 11:10.
Boxer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 20:40   #7
MR2
Quiet Professional

Umm... It could be that Ed was the TmSgt of the support team during my SFUWO class in early '77. I had a severe sprain during the first night dive and opted to not x-ray/cast and to stay in the course. This guy gave me special PT when the rest of the class went on runs.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:44   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Ed Bugarin

One of the finest individuals ever to join the US military........

This was written hundreds of years ago and reminds me of Ed Bugarin, he is a warrior.

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08   #9
Boxer99
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
Umm... It could be that Ed was the TmSgt of the support team during my SFUWO class in early '77. I had a severe sprain during the first night dive and opted to not x-ray/cast and to stay in the course. This guy gave me special PT when the rest of the class went on runs.
Haha, thanks for the story.

Last edited by Boxer99; 09-18-2017 at 11:12.
Boxer99 is offline   Reply With Quote