Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 11-23-2004, 20:25   #31
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I use it for a warm up, not for fighting. It relaxes me. I trained a little with Mr. Chin a long time ago. Posted for hours. Then he got sick and we deployed...etc.
I remember Master Chin. I thought you guys were taking Wing Chun from him?

Those were the days!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 20:30   #32
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

No sir, Hsing Yi. Brian Edwards was the Wing Chun man, although Mr. Chin probably knew it as well.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 21:01   #33
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I can think of a couple of skills Tai Chi adds - how about a Sniper moving into position? Very slow, deliberate movements with complete body control and maybe some significant flexibility requirements, around deadfalls, etc. The pushing movements could be beneficial in CQB.

Ever tried Tai Chi under a table?
never see it that way before. Brilliant. Thanks
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 00:04   #34
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Talking

I'm 64 so besides K-run, I would prefer k-gun, k-nife, K-razer and maybe K-grenade.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/

Last edited by QRQ 30; 11-24-2004 at 00:24. Reason: spelling
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 00:13   #35
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
I'm 64 so bnesides

What was it they say about old age and treachery... ?

This young stud knows better than to fuck around with the old bulls.
Old 03-03-2006, 18:35   #36
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
How do you know your self defense will work?
I was talking about MMA with a young gentleman when another rather curious individual suddenly decided he needed to display his wrestling abilities. He was at least 70 lbs heavier. Needless to say, he took me down to the ground. He did side choke, then guillotine, then he established position dominance somewhere between north-south position and side mount. Training took place and I ended up with my legs doing a figure 4 around his neck (triangle choke-like?) and both of my arm lifting his left arm backward (kimura/chicken-wing). Having less and less oxygen going to his brain and excruciating pain from left shoulder, he cried uncle in no time. The curious individual was not too happy I was not playing by "wrestling rule," but he accepted defeat.

Had to say it was darn satisfying. I've never done or seen this double-trouble move before. IMHO: mindset, understanding of body mechanics, and spatial awareness. That should do it. Also IMHO, being on top to win is the wrestler mindset, which gave a false sense of dominance in MMA scenario.

Ok, it's not exactly self defense as I believe he had no intention of taking my life. Nevertheless, I'm pretty glad with the end results. Grappling (jiu jutsu) enable little fellow like me to have a fair shot on the ground.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 15:55   #37
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
IMHO, being on top to win is the wrestler mindset, which gave a false sense of dominance in MMA scenario.

Grappling (jiu jutsu) enable little fellow like me to have a fair shot on the ground.
Ron Donvito teaches "There are no rules. Just be prepared to receive what you dish out. Eye Pokes and biting may give you an advantage in the short run...just be prepared for your opponent to learn quickly and use them right back at you."

When in doubt...round-house kick to the FACE!

...that's what Chuck Norris would do.

JM

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 03-05-2006 at 16:51.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 16:00   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

The trick to self-defense is to make it offensive.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 20:03   #39
Kyobanim

Quote:
Grappling (jiu jutsu) enable little fellow like me to have a fair shot on the ground.
Size really doesn't matter, it's technique that counts.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 20:17   #40
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
Size really doesn't matter, it's technique that counts.
It's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:49   #41
Arwr
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor
Ron Donvito teaches "There are no rules. Just be prepared to receive what you dish out. Eye Pokes and biting may give you an advantage in the short run...just be prepared for your opponent to learn quickly and use them right back at you."
I guess I will need to pause and ask my attacker how far he wants to escalate, before I attempt to polish the back of his eye socket with my thumb and give him an O'Neil to the nuts. I don't bite unless I've skipped lunch. Hell, if I accidentally kill him... he may try and kill me too.

Where is that crazy spiked-haired infomercial lesbian chick that yells "stop the insanity" when you need her?

Arwr
Arwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:07   #42
tf999
Asset

The ability to strike hard at an opponent with the simultaneous willingness to absorb some damage is usually more than enough to take out most people you will end up fighting, thus just about any martial art CAN be effective. The question is not 'Does your self-defense work,' but 'Are you able to make it work?' Or, as I heard it put so eloquently, "The martial art works just fine, you just have to have the guts and sense do it right."

The main issue, in my experience, is that effective use of any martial art requires some modicum of aggression/combative intent. To put it bluntly- the reason black belts get their butts handed to them by some random punk is because the martial artist has all the moves and none of the intent. Most people, in this day and age, who go to martial arts go precisely BECAUSE they are not comfortable with generating or acting upon combative intent- they are not comfortable getting in there and FIGHTING. They begin training in martial arts under the assumption that they are a collection of "tricks" that will allow them to protect themselves without having to generate or familiarize themselves with the rush and fear or combat.

This being said, there is a distinct difference between combat and "social combat." Many martial arts/self-defense arts are designed for only one or the other. If you try to use either in an inappropriate situation, or with inappropriate intent (ie- trying to use very lethal combat without the intent to actually kill your opponent) you will most likely have limited results. Most fighting in the civilian world is social combat- its purpose is not to kill or maim your opponent but to assert social dominance. This is why you see fights that go on for 5 minutes, countless punches thrown, and both people are able to get up and walk away. This is why untrained people, or trained people who lose their cool (perhaps after getting surprised or taking some damage) tend to instinctively resort of wide, open hand strikes to the top sides of the head and the upper ribs- the weakest strike directed at the most armored part of the opponent's body. We are not really engineered for natural killing of other humans, but rather to use social combat to assert dominance. This is why people tend to have to be trained to kill, animals do not.

To read a much more in depth scientific explanation of the differences and reasons for these things, there is an article on the hoplology (the study of human combative behavior) website. Be forewarned, it gets pretty involved.

Thus, the ultimate question is not whether or not your self-defense works, but what are doing to condition your body, mind and heart to use it effectively.

Tyler

Last edited by tf999; 12-21-2007 at 09:13.
tf999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 15:19   #43
Arwr
Asset

Does my self-defence work?

Well enough to avoid any physical confrontations that did not involve U.S. Govt. sponsorship. Avoidance, first. Deescalation, second. Surviving with the least amount damage done to you and your own, last.

Assessing the threat:
1. Ability
2. Opportunity
3. Manifest intent
3. Preclusion

Once physical contact is made, its combat. Absolute destruction of the threat is required. The way the autonomic nervous systems works, you can not tell a knife stabbing from a punch. Many people have bled to death not knowing this. Destroy the threat, the time for assessment is over.

Arwr
Arwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 16:55   #44
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Of course. I am going on 68 and still here. I started with PF fliers. I could leap fences in a single bound on the way home from school. I graduated to0Chuck Taylor All Stars in the army. Noe my defense is to look so old and defensless that no one wants to screw with me. It works for ,e!

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 17:09   #45
Pete
Quiet Professional

Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim View Post
Per NDD's orders . . .

How do you know your self defense will work?....
Not sure if it will work or not. I'm still waiting for somebody to jump me, grab me, try and take me down or surround me.

Most I ever get is a look or two down on the Murk.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote